Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starstruck

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Default Re: Starstruck

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Thanks, MarthaJo! I also enjoyed them on YouTube, including a 24 min interview/musical set. Right up my country rock/singer-songwriter alley! I amused myself noting some of Kelly's facial expressions and gestures reminiscent of Glenn. You have to give the guy credit for not mentioning his relationship.
    He's very talented himself. He hasn't needed to ride on Glenn's coat tails. And he's doing what he loves.
    It does my heart good because I see so many "relatives" do that.
    For example, a friend of mine occasionally drums for Riki Hendrix, Jimi's cousin. Or so he says, I don't know if he is for sure, But he tries to profit on the last name. It just pisses me off. Our region (Southern California's Inland Empire) is very proud of the musicians that got their start here, but it's the guys like that just irritate the crap out of me. Especially if they aren't that good.
    Then there is my late friend, Steve McLemore. He was an excellent bass player, played locally. His brother is Lamont McLemore of the 5th Dimension. Steve was offered to tour with them, but didn't read music well, so he wasn't hired. Still, Steve was proud of his brother and lived a good life. He was "famous" locally and that was good enough for him.

I can see the family resemblance. No wonder you were excited, MarthaJo. What a cool unexpected thing to happen.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    Today, I went to a get together/fundraiser sponsored by a local Facebook group that I belong to. Most of us are old friends.
    A local trio played at the intimate event and was great fun. A friend of mine is the keyboard player. They played mostly early 70's soft rock, including our Eagles, America, Peter Frampton, Three Dog Night.etc. Their vocals & harmonies were beautiful and I kept wondering why I hadn't gone & seen them sooner.
    Afterwards, I went & talked to my friend and thanked him for playing and told him I especially loved that they played Eagles songs. Come to find out, the bassist/percussionist is Glenn's cousin!!!!!
    I've rubbed elbows with a lot of famous people, from TV & movie & rock stars to politicians. But I have NEVER, EVER been more starstruck than I was to be there today with Glenn's cousin. He & his wife, who it turns out I did theater with a few years ago, live a couple of towns over. He's a really sweet guy and endured my stuttering & stammering and fan-girl giddyness when I was talking to him and got this photo-op with him. I can't even tell you what I said to him, except we did talk about how long we've lived here and small talk like that.

Hi Martha ! This is so cool ! Lucky you. I assume he is his younger cousin - how old do you think he is. I'm just trying to figure out how much younger than Glenn he is. Obviously the musical gene comes from Glenn's Mom's side of the family. If I remember right, Glenn stated one of his Uncle's(I assume from his Mom) played in a jazz band when he was a kid.

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi Martha ! This is so cool ! Lucky you. I assume he is his younger cousin - how old do you think he is. I'm just trying to figure out how much younger than Glenn he is. Obviously the musical gene comes from Glenn's Mom's side of the family. If I remember right, Glenn stated one of his Uncle's(I assume from his Mom) played in a jazz band when he was a kid.
    I'm 63--almost 64,. Kelly is probably around my age---maybe a bit younger by a few years. Younger than Glenn for sure.
    He is a a locally famous musician, but very low key-very humble, very quiet.

Can I add how cool I find this?! Wow!! You can definitely see a bit of a resemblance. He sounds like a great guy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I found this video of Kelly's band from a few years ago.
    https://youtu.be/Quxg6cATZmk

I found this video of Kelly's band from a few years ago.
    https://youtu.be/Quxg6cATZmk
    Thanks, MarthaJo. I've enjoyed all I have heard from him!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

So...it gets better!
    Ralph (my friend the keyboard player for Raincross Drive)said that his band opened for the HFO tour at
    Glen Helen Amphitheater near San Bernardino in 1994. He has some photos that he has to try and find.
    But will let me know when he finds them.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow! I'd love to see those photos. Hope Ralph comes through for you, MJ.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

So...it gets better!
    Ralph (my friend the keyboard player for Raincross Drive)said that his band opened for the HFO tour at
    Glen Helen Amphitheater near San Bernardino in 1994. He has some photos that he has to try and find.
    But will let me know when he finds them.
    I know that you wouldn't want to appear to be bragging to your friends in the industry. But if it was me, I wouldn't be having to hunt those photos! Those buddies would be in frames on a wall somewhere, if only in my bedroom! Talk about a big deal!
    I tried to find something online, with no luck.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."