Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Book) Eagles: Before the Band

Default (Book) Eagles: Before the Band

From the description:

With the first iconic strum of the guitar on 'Take It Easy' the Eagles set a new direction for the country-rock infused California sound.

They drew their inspiration from The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Flying Burrito Brothers and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

In the band's first nine years together they scored gold records for every album release and delivered songs that changed the musical landscape. Their thought-provoking, intimate lyrics were matched by precision instrumentation that sounded as good live as in the studio. Legions of fans built around them.

But where did they come from? BEFORE THE BAND maps their individual histories before they became the best-selling band in history.

Follow along season by season as they struggle in small bands across the country and eventually find each other in Los Angeles. Their journey is as legendary as their music.

On Amazon.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: (Book) Eagles: Before the Band

That’s kind of pricey for a book by an unknown author (for me). I wish it at least had a “look inside” feature where you could see chapters or an index.

It does. You can look inside to see how the book is laid out. Then click on "Surprise Me!" to get extra pages. The extra pages it showed me were about Randy.

I've yet to find an Eagles book that is truly *that* good yet. Yet, I keep buying them! I just ordered this... Thanks CA for the heads up. This will mean I'll have every Eagles book so far I know of, lol.

As whiny as I think Don Felder's book is at times, it's still been my favorite read of a book with anything to do with the band. It isn't always modest and it isn't always 100% factually accurate, but it was a great read and I can't say the same for any other Eagles-related book I've read. It has a touch of "I was there" that while it is only his side of the story, it's a side that is probably more authentic.

Eliot's book ruined it for me on Eagles bios or books about the guys. I think his is by far the worst I've read. No, not just because of the Henley bias, either. I read it awhile before I was even a Glenn fan.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    It does. You can look inside to see how the book is laid out. Then click on "Surprise Me!" to get extra pages. The extra pages it showed me were about Randy.

Oh my!!! Thank you for telling me. Couldn't see it on my wonky phone.

Well, now I am intrigued. It looks well researched. My "Surprise Me!" pages were of The Beach Boys and Bob Seger.

The front cover says it's the first in a trilogy of books about the Eagles! So we can look forward to "Being the Band" and "After the Band." Very, very interesting.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I checked it out briefly and it is kind of pricey - especially for a paperback. However, I didn't have time to look at it thoroughly so I'll do that over the weekend hopefully. It better be good for that price. lol I may wait a bit and see if the price drops some.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

NMB & Dreamer, I also think the book is very pricey for a paperback. Austin, I have to agree with you in that all Eagles books so far leave a lot to be desired. Marc Eliot's book has so many errors for someone who makes a living off writing such books.
    Is their any info about how many pages the book is ? Has anyone ever heard of the author ? I was surprised when the book cover said it's the first in a trilogy of books about the Eagles. I will probably wait until I hear reviews before I decide to buy it.

It seems kind of pricey to me also but I can't pass up another book about the Eagles. I just ordered it. How great to hopefully discuss this book in the future on The Border. That will be awesome to have two more books to follow as I can't get enough of the Eagles!
    The “ribbon on the package” ~ hitting the Soprano C ~ “One More Time”!

It is expensive, but I must admit, I'm very intrigued. This is not the typical, well-trodden ground of most Eagles books. It's going on my Christmas list!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten