Thread: Long Run Tour Question

Out on the Border

Default Long Run Tour Question

Have a strange question that I'm hoping someone a little older than I can remember about the Long Run Tour. I saw the Eagles in Ann Arbor on the Long Run tour in 1979, but was only 12. I seem to remember a stage backdrop of the Hotel California Album. It was a long time ago, but just wondered if anyone else could confirm that when they played Hotel California on the Long Run tour, that they indeed did have the Hotel California backdrop on stage during the playing of the song? Thanks!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Long Run Tour Question

I saw the Eagles in July 1980 at Giants Stadium. It was part of their stadium tour for TLR with The Little River Band and Heart. They did HC but I can not remember if the HC album was displayed when they sang the song. Sorry.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by U098095 View Post
    Have a strange question that I'm hoping someone a little older than I can remember about the Long Run Tour. I saw the Eagles in Ann Arbor on the Long Run tour in 1979, but was only 12. I seem to remember a stage backdrop of the Hotel California Album. It was a long time ago, but just wondered if anyone else could confirm that when they played Hotel California on the Long Run tour, that they indeed did have the Hotel California backdrop on stage during the playing of the song? Thanks!
    They did not have it displayed when I saw them in Indianapolis in June 1980. I only know this from reading an old review from the concert that stated that they strolled on to the stage without benefit of even a curtain. Of the 3 concerts where I saw Hotel California performed only the Riverfront Stadium 1978 concert had the big backdrop. Most reviews mention the backdrop when it was used. I tried to find a review of your concert, but couldn't find one. I will look at some more clippings from 1979 to see if I can find one that says they used it during The Long Run Tour.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I saw the Eagles in July 1980 at Giants Stadium. It was part of their stadium tour for TLR with The Little River Band and Heart. They did HC but I can not remember if the HC album was displayed when they sang the song. Sorry.
    Hi NKIT! I looked at a review of the Giants Stadium concert and they did not use the Hotel California backdrop. Instead, they had some kind of screens over the big banks of speakers that showed a highway. One screen had buildings that looked like NYC and the other screen had kind of a Spanish style building which I guess was a depiction of California.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Hi NKIT! I looked at a review of the Giants Stadium concert and they did not use the Hotel California backdrop. Instead, they had some kind of screens over the big banks of speakers that showed a highway. One screen had buildings that looked like NYC and the other screen had kind of a Spanish style building which I guess was a depiction of California.

Hi My My - Happy New Year ! Thanks for checking that out - it solves that mystery ! It was so, so long ago I could not remember anything about a logo. When you saw them was it part of the stadium tour too ? I saw them just a short time before the big blow up.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi My My - Happy New Year ! Thanks for checking that out - it solves that mystery ! It was so, so long ago I could not remember anything about a logo. When you saw them was it part of the stadium tour too ? I saw them just a short time before the big blow up.
    Happy New Year!

I saw them in June of 1980, also just a short time before their ending. It was at Market Square Arena which was the Indiana Pacers home arena. Seating was around 18,000 I believe.

Out on the Border

Thumbs up Re: Long Run Tour Question

My My and NKIT,

Thanks much for your reply. In particular for the reference of the "Spanish Style building" on one of the backdrops. This could be what I remembered which is somewhat similar to the building on the Hotel California cover. I guess a "hybrid backdrop". Thanks again!