• It’s Your World Now

0 0%
  • Other

1 4.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles album closing track

Default Re: Favorite Eagles album closing track

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

The band made some very good choices in closing songs, imo. For example, “Tryin” has lyrics that that address what the band was experiencing in making the debut album. They were musicians who left their hometowns in different parts of the country and were “tryin” to make a mark in music. It’s kind of prescient, actually.

I'm just arrivin' in the city
    And there's music on my mind
    Lookin' for my destination
    And my home is far behind
    'Cause it's a long road ahead
    And you can make it in the end
    I'm gonna make it with my friends
    And I'm tryin'

And even though IWYP is not a favorite of mine, it does seem like a lovely and proper way to end an album.

There are strong points to be made for all the closing tracks. But I have to agree with those who chose “Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise” - it’s so strong and powerful and wraps up the outlaw concept so well.

(Not sure why the formatting changed the way it did and why it won’t revert back; oh well)

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I don't think I've ever been able to go to bed right after a rock concert.

Granted, we usually go back to a hotel since we live so far from the major venues. But I'm usually wired for sound, even with the slightly milder acts like Eagles or Tom Petty.

This last time seeing AC/DC (one of Brian Johnson's last shows with the band) I didn't even go to sleep! I stayed up until it was time to hit the road to head home and crashed in the car. We usually stock our hotel room with all types of finger food snacks, a couple cases of soda, and I myself stay up most of the night, lol. With AC/DC I never wear earplugs, despite being in the first couple rows. To me it's just lame, but my parents always wear them. They're smart. I'm still in the "if it's too loud you're too old!" camp. So I generally can't hear anything and I will regain my hearing the following night at around that time.

I wouldn't have it any other way. If I'm going to bask in Angus Young's sonic glow - I'm all in baby!

So far me, even if they end in Desperado - I'm still usually too excited to fall asleep.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Yay, glad to see some more votes coming in, but a little surprised no one has chosen The Last Resort.

I wonder what songs other than TIE and Desperado the Eagles used to close their concerts.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Hi Delilah - Happy New Year ! I can not think of other songs they used to close a concert. I have to say, TLR is not one of my favorite songs. I find it way too long and kind of preachy. However, that's just MHO. I know a lot of people love it and consider it one of their best.
    I have to say, I do think Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise is the best album closer as it sticks with the Old West concept. I also love the split vocals between Don and Glenn. I missed that from OOTN onward. I know they split the vocals on TKOH on TLR but that's about it.

Austin - Your ears must ring for days after you leave a AC/DC Concert - lol ! Wishing you a Happy New Year and good health for the new year.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Yay, glad to see some more votes coming in, but a little surprised no one has chosen The Last Resort.

I wonder what songs other than TIE and Desperado the Eagles used to close their concerts.

In the 70s, I saw the Eagles close their shows with JD's "How Long," the Burrito Brothers' "Lazy Day," and then also "Tequila Sunrise" and "Tryin'" From the release of the HOTEL CALIFORNIA album onward, I believe it was always "Take It Easy" or "Desperado." I loved "Take It Easy" as a closer, but I would've also loved "Already Gone" had they chosen that.

As for album closers, I like pretty much all of them, but the "Doolin' Dalton/Desperado" closer is just brilliant.

Border Rebel

I don't remember the closing song when I saw them in 1975 and I can't find a reveiw. When I saw them in November 1976, the closing song was "Tequila Sunrise" according to the review. The opener was TIE of course. "Hotel California" was introduced as a song from their upcoming album and "Desperado" was played somewhere midset. I think TIE was the closer in my next 2 concerts in 1978 and 1980. In most of the reviews of various Eagles concerts after Hotel California was released (at least 1977-1980) "Desperado" was mentioned as one of the ballads played during slow, ballad portion of the show, not as a closer. I'm sure there were exceptions to this but Desperado as a closer seems to be later in the Eagles history. I did find a review from their Greensboro July 1977 that stated that their last tune of the night was "Witchy Woman" with the jazzy intro.

I voted for Doolin Dalton/Desperado as the best album closer. I agree with scottside, brilliant indeed!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree with Delilah about being surprised that there have been no votes for The Last Resort. The song is a magnificent way to close the Hotel California album and definitely deserves some props here, IMHO. It wouldn't probably be an effective closer in live shows, but I love the way the drama builds as the song progresses and the closing line "You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye" pretty much encapsulates everything that the Hotel California album is about.

I would also like to give an honorable mention to 'It's Your World Now'. When I first listened to the LROOE album, I thought it was a prophetic way to end the album given that most everyone assumed it would be the band's last studio album. And now that Glenn has left us, it seems even more so.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    I don't remember the closing song when I saw them in 1975 and I can't find a reveiw. When I saw them in November 1976, the closing song was "Tequila Sunrise" according to the review. The opener was TIE of course. "Hotel California" was introduced as a song from their upcoming album and "Desperado" was played somewhere midset. I think TIE was the closer in my next 2 concerts in 1978 and 1980. In most of the reviews of various Eagles concerts after Hotel California was released (at least 1977-1980) "Desperado" was mentioned as one of the ballads played during slow, ballad portion of the show, not as a closer. I'm sure there were exceptions to this but Desperado as a closer seems to be later in the Eagles history. I did find a review from their Greensboro July 1977 that stated that their last tune of the night was "Witchy Woman" with the jazzy intro.

I voted for Doolin Dalton/Desperado as the best album closer. I agree with scottside, brilliant indeed!
    Wow, closing with Tequila Sunrise or Witchy Woman...it would have been nice if they switched it up every now and then in later years. Ending a show with a "downer" seems to be a common thing, I'm thinking of Fleetwood Mac closing the show with Songbird.

I agree about It's Your World Now...like the swan song for the band and for Glenn...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

"The Last Resort" gets my vote for best album closer. Even as a 12-year old, this song just wiped me out - it's so powerful and unsparing. I had never been to California at that time, but I saw the ongoing destruction of natural Florida. "You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye."

OT: one of Henley's finest vocal performances too, IMO.

The Last Resort is an interesting one.

To me, I don't listen to it often by itself, but when I'm not just streaming songs, rather when I play a record, I always listen to Hotel California front to back. It's the only Eagles record where I never feel like skipping a single song. I've come to prefer it over Wasted Time. Is it a favorite, no, but I think in the big scheme of things you could certainly call it an underrated Eagles song. Kind of like Those Shoes, IMO.

I don't ever get deep into lyrical interpretation, but IMO there is a definite dichotomy in the lyrics and I think it's kind of tongue in cheek in some places, too. The old chestnut about is it "Jesus People" or Jesus! People" (which I do think it is accepted now that it's the latter) is kind of like when Lynyrd Skynyrd on the the song Sweet Home Alabama did the "Boo boo boo" ad lib after the line about the Governor of Alabama. People wondered and still wonder was he denouncing the governor and his supporters, or was it hidden meaning that Ronnie Van Zant liked George Wallace. Artimus Pyle, who was actually a proud democrat hippie from the midwest, said that he knew Ronnie and that Ronnie was not racist and that he was very much against segregation and he did not like the governor. All of the Skynyrd guys were from the South and grew up in the time of prevalent racism. Artimus was an outsider to the rest of the band members (the surviving members still don't like him!), but Ronnie liked him and he was in the band when the plane crashed.

To me, I can kinda understand why they didn't play it live so much, but I do think it's a good song and I can see why some would pick it as their favorite closer.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."