6 28.57%
  • It’s Your World Now

0 0%
  • Other

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles album closing track

Default Favorite Eagles album closing track

Since the 2010s are coming to a close, I thought it might be kind of fun to poll the forum about everyone’s favorite closing track. Keep in mind it’s not just about how much a song is liked as a stand-alone, but how well it fits at the end of the album.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Default Re: Favorite Eagles album closing track

Take It Easy (Live). It's a great closer live, and it is a great closer to the live album.

With the more electric sound of TIE, coupled with the Southern California line I love, I think it's the perfect closer to any Eagles concert, especially during this period where it had a little edge to the sound.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I agree TIE is a great song to end a live show— it’s upbeat and lively.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I always wished they'd end with that instead of Desperado which they've done in recent years. To me, they should be flip flopped. I guess to some Desperado is like closing on a finished note, but to me you should close out with something that leaves you wanting more. HC and Desperado shouldn't be the very last song IMO. I'd even wish at times they had opened the HOTE tour with HC like they did when on the HC tour.

But I think bands should always go out with a bang on a high energy fun sing along song, even if it isn't their biggest hit (which for some, maybe even most, bands it usually is). I wouldn't want AC/DC to close with Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution or Aerosmith to close out with I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. I want to see them go out with something that fires everyone up like You Shook Me All Night Long or Sweet Emotion. Build it up as you go and leave them wanting more. Don't play all of your high energy stuff early in the set and then fizzle out in the second half. Flip it the other way around. Or at least open with it, close with it, and do the softer stuff in the middle if you don't want to do as I suggested. But don't start out hot and just get weaker as you go along. That gets boring real fast. I have a short attention span, get bored easily, and I like bright flashy stuff. I tend to like entertainment to be captivating and something I can't take my eyes off of. Sometimes a concert can be almost as much visual as aural. It's the vibe, basically.

Even onstage I will reserve my energy as far as fancy guitar solos, structuring setlists, or even just stage presence/energy until the end and will slowly work my way up in the level of energy and excitement as the show goes on. Don't start out big and then lose steam. Great way to lose an audience. You only have so much "rah-rah" energy in you for a show, save it for the second half if not last quarter, to make a football analogy. I think it should be that way. Otherwise you just lose your crowd. Now if you're the Eagles, you don't have to worry about that (if for no other reason, just ticket costs alone but also the songs, of course!) but most smaller bands aren't as lucky. You learn to build anticipation. You can give your all and leave everything on the stage, still leave them feeling like they were satisfied with the concert, yet they will yearn for more shows like it in the future. It's just a smart strategy for any band. If you're in a cover band, save the "Free Bird" type stuff for the last song. Everything else will just pale if you go full on early/mid set.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Austin it is interesting you say that. Two of the three times I saw the Eagles they ended the show with TIE. I think TIE is a great song to end with - up beat and you leave the show in a good mood. When I saw them for HFO, I think they ended with Desperado. I think they ended a lot of 70's shows with TIE. Once they came back in 94, I think it was more Desperado.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Austin it is interesting you say that. Two of the three times I saw the Eagles they ended the show with TIE. I think TIE is a great song to end with - up beat and you leave the show in a good mood. When I saw them for HFO, I think they ended with Desperado. I think they ended a lot of 70's shows with TIE. Once they came back in 94, I think it was more Desperado.
    Yeah I've never agreed with it, I think that TIE should be the closer to any Eagles show. It's the perfect closer.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This is a really good question, Delilah ... but is really hard to answer. Most of the closers are excellent songs and one could make a strong argument for them. Even though I never had too much of a problem with closing live shows with Desperado, I also agree that Take It Easy is a really strong closer and I love it as a closer on Eagles Live.

However, I think I'll focus on the studio albums. I'm going with the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise since it is such an effective way to close a concept album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm going to agree with Dreamer. "Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise" is powerful on its own terms, but as the closer in its full context.... it ramps it up even further. Absolutely amazing.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great question, Delilah!

As far as the albums go, I agree with Dreamer and vote for Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise as being the best album closer as it sticks with the concept.

As far as a live show, I've always thought they should leave us feeling good with Take It Easy closing. I want to be happy when I leave, not down.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

You know, I just realized - is this the first time someone has started a poll since the "new" board? I think it might be! It looks cool.

As far as the live ending... it's hard to say whether "up" or "down" for the encore is the way to go. Both approaches have their merits. The slow ending usually has a poignant, goodbye element to it which is appropriate, and gives you a sense of closure. It also gets you ready for bed, lol. On the other hand, ending with an upper leaves everyone energized and excited, and that's fun.

Hmmm.... I see I've basically committed to nothing.

I'm going to go with preferring that they end on an upper just because ending on a downer eventually got old.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten