Thread: New Don Felder interview

Default New Don Felder interview

This month's Record Collector magazine has an in-depth interview with Don, in which he discusses the making of Hotel California, and the tensions within the band.

I have posted the article as scanned images. You should be able to read it if you save and zoom in on the images. Nice photos, too!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow! And thanks again, GEF. I haven't had a chance to read these, but hope to later on this evening.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I wish somebody would tell Felder that the first single from Hotel California was not the title track, but New Kid In Town, and it went to Number One, painful as that may be for him to hear about. It is a shame that his hatred of Frey means that he denies basic facts.

Also the gratuitous criticism of The Girl From Yesterday rather than the other HFO songs (which also occurred in the book) perfectly illustrates the personalised nature of his grievances.

I can see that he thinks the success of HC took its toll more on Henley because he says Henley wrote most of the lyrics. He hasn't even attempted to understand how it took its toll on Frey's creativity apart from a throwaway remark about how he didn't do much wrtiing for TLR.

He still appears in complete denial about the reasons why he was dismissed.

However, as with the book, at least he has the decency to recognise Henley's talents.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Again, thanks GEF! I probably won't get to read it before 'the trip' but it will make nice reading over Easter!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thank you for sharing that GEF.

I just got a chance to read it. I agree it's rather obvious which of the Eagles was Felder's least favorite, lol, but oh well. I know I've said it before, but I find it interesting that Felder claims that Glenn was the one threatening to kick his ass, while Glenn says it was the other way around. I guess neither guy wants to look like the aggressor. In Glenn's version, he replies to Felder, "Great, I can't wait!" which seems pretty realistic to me, lol. If you want to read Glenn's summary of what happened, here it is:

"For me, it ended in Long Beach, California, at a benefit for Alan Cranston. I felt Don Felder insulted Senator Cranston under his breath and I confronted him with it. So now we're on stage, and Felder looks back at me and says, 'Only three more songs till I kick your ass, pal.'And I'm saying, 'Great. I can't wait.'We're out there singing 'Best of My Love,' but inside both of us are thinking, 'As soon as this is over, I'm gonna kill him.' That was when I knew I had to get out."

Another thing I wonder about is Felder's story about breaking the guitar out of frustration when he thought no one else was around. The other version is that Glenn charged him as soon as they got offstage and that Felder grabbed the guitar and swung it at Glenn in "self defense," after which a full-on fistfight ensued involving all the band members. Finally, they were pulled apart by roadies. I guess the truth is somewhere in between. The latter tale is certainly a lot more dramatic, though!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Felder article

I'm trying to copy this article so I can read it but no luck. What am I doing wrong? Help!
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

If you right click on each page a window will pop up to "save as". Click ok, then you can go to your pictures or documents and it will be there. Then if you open it in the windows picture viewer, you can zoom in and read it.

Anyway that worked for me RK.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten