Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

Well Austin - I remember when you were a staunch defender of all things Felder. And although, I, obviously, didn't always agree with you, I always thought you were sincere and passionate about your views. What always bothers me much more is when misinformed fans come to the board solely for the purpose of arguing with members and totally misrepresent the facts. As fans, none of us know these men and all of the facts behind their relationships; however, as you said, there are plenty of facts about the band members patterns of behavior that fans can use to form opinions if they care to. As we always say, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but, if debate is going to be fair, we shouldn't let emotions get in the way of facts.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I felt like this was a better place to post this. I was going to post it in response to thebagels video link they posted in the video thread but decided it was better to put it here with similar thoughts.
    Honestly, seeing this whole bowing routine was laughable as it smacked of ritualistic fakery to me. It kind of reminded me of the bow we did at the end of our second grade play. Why do they have to hold hands and raise them up in the air? It's meant to be a rock concert, not Broadway.

Oh wait; we're talking about the guy who's used prerecorded vocal tracks since 2014 or 2015. In fact, even in the video, you can see Don's guitar tech starting the "American Rock and Roll" track at the end of the bow.

The fact that people give a standing ovation to such a formulaic show that is timed right down to the beat gives me a bit of pause.

The unfortunate part about all of this is that on many occasions where Don has to be more spontaneous (like when he played Wooden Ships with CSN or sang Hotel California at the R&R HOF), he is actually able to deliver fine vocal performances and great guitar performances.

Stuck on the Border

I believe I've seen some other bands do that same thing and even repeating it several times; holding hands, raising them, bowing and the works. So I didn't find it that odd. Although those have been bigger concerts at bigger venues.

Well, I'm not sure about raised hands, but I think Kiss may have done that.

Many bands have done some version of the hands together. It doesn’t matter to me. It’s whatever. In a way it’s like all for one one for all and finalizes a show. Whatever the artist is comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Many bands have done some version of the hands together. It doesn’t matter to me. It’s whatever. In a way it’s like all for one one for all and finalizes a show. Whatever the artist is comfortable.
    Oh no, that does happen. I think the Eagles even did that.

It more about the way Don went about it. I'll post a video of Don faking excitement later and the end of the song saying "oh my god" as if it was a miracle they pulled off.

He's just a little too "fake" for me. The bow seemed over the top in the up/down thing and it just seemed like a showboat way to do it. If you do those bows long enough you naturally know when to go up or down and doesn't look forced. I just think he's making up for lost time of not being the lead man in the Eagles by being as much of an over-the-top showman as he can. You can tell that he really loves that. It bothers me. It's like someone going for the opposite type of person after a break-up just to p!ss the ex off even though you know you can't be with them or should be with them. It reeks of childishness and being oppositional for the sake of being oppositional. Not a good look, TBH.

Which has been my point all along about Glenn vs Felder. Glenn was naturally a frontman with non-forced moves and stage presence that didn't seem so fake. He was naturally fit for that role. If you are, you are, if you're not, well don't try because it looks silly! Let alone the fact he's not a lead singer. When you couple someone trying to sing but can't with someone trying to be a frontman or showman but can't - it just is cringe city. It makes Don look vain and egocentric - which I have no doubt that he actually is.

I mean can you imagine how good the Felder band could be if Don did like 2 changes?

1 - get two singers. Or at least one that can do Henley songs reasonably well. Hire someone from an Eagles tribute or Nashville - whatever. Maybe find a band member who can sing Frey's songs reasonably well or just hire a second singer. Maybe one of those singers could play some rhythm guitar to fill out the 3 guitar sound of the Eagles music.

2 - reclaim your old place as the lead guitarist, let your singers take center stage. If not, put them on either side of you. Work on playing guitar. Talk to your audience sure, but drop the forced stage prescence. Play the hell out of the guitar. Make sure your other guitarist is really good at playing Walsh's parts. Work on building a real rapport with them not just someone you barely know you hired from a touring agency. Make that dynamic duo thing happen again. Really have fun. Drop the idea of being something you can't and really don't let your true talents go away. Put yourself in a position to shine, and I don't mean with a spotlight. I think Felder would deep down enjoy this.

That would get me to go see Don again. I would even say on the surface I would thoroughly enjoy myself! I mean now that I have no desire to see the Eagles again, this purposed scenario might just be the next best thing. Do I think Don will do it. Well let's just say if I were to hold my breath I'd be in the ground before I saw that show!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Pardon, I was wrong. It wasn't "oh my god!" afterall.
    It was "oh my goodness gracious!". That's something my grandma would say to me as a kid after I told her something excited I did. I think it's even worse.

He says it at 5:10 in the video.

-Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I agree that he's not a frontman. But the grand announcement about his accomplishments before every gig (I've NEVER heard anyone else have that) and the three-minute life story in the space of a song (never heard anyone else do that either) make it clear who's THE STAR on that stage.

Stuck on the Border

Does that "oh my goodness gracious" come from the PA or did the phone pick it up "acoustically"? Sounds like he's lip-syncing, but I guess his mic could still be on.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Does that "oh my goodness gracious" come from the PA or did the phone pick it up "acoustically"? Sounds like he's lip-syncing, but I guess his mic could still be on.
    Not 100 percent sure, but probably phone picked it up but as close as he was its possible it faintly bled into the mic! But it's still so awkward. It seems so forced.

Even if only his bandmates could hear it, do they really need to hear a 70-something dude saying "oh my goodness gracious" as they finish a song?! How about good job, guys or "yeah" or some other words of encouragement or something less phony than feigned shock and excitement?!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I agree that he's not a frontman. But the grand announcement about his accomplishments before every gig (I've NEVER heard anyone else have that) and the three-minute life story in the space of a song (never heard anyone else do that either) make it clear who's THE STAR on that stage.
    I do think it stems just from pent up desires from not getting to do that in the 70s/80s/90s. He thought he was cooler than he was, better than he was, or thought he was a leader. "You Don't Have Me" pretty much tells you his mindset. And fine. But you've had how many years to get it out of your system and feed your ego? You're 73 years old. Maybe leave the nanana booboos behind. I can kinda see why he's had so many failed relationships. It's sad. If the man would have invested in some "Soul Searchin'" in therapy, maybe he'd be living a happier life in his golden years. Don can say he's the happiest he's ever been, but his attitude and behavior paint a different picture. I feel sorry for Don. No one should have to go through life feeling like they go unappreciated or feeling victimized real or imagined. But play to your strengths and maybe grow a bit.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger