Thread: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Do his concerts always start with that hilarious speech?
    OMG yes. It's just more proof of what we can already notice - his overwhelmingly large inflated ego compared to his actual accomplishments and talents and importance, while worthy of respect, aren't as big.

Felder should be happy - he can do it all now if that's what he wants. Sing, play, run the band, and have someone record something about all that stuff you did at the beginning of every show. And call it the Don Felder band. He can play pretend all he wants to and get praise and the attention he so desires. It's all about you. Yet, I think deep down inside he's insanely regretful for his behavior in the band. I think he knows he had it better when he was a member of the band and played guitar in the Eagles. And he should be. He's also probably terribly regretting sealing the deal with his "woe is me" book. He has no one to blame but himself and I refuse to put the blame on Glenn Frey, and also Don Henley.

There should be no surprise as to why his position in the Eagles was eliminated. People say Glenn and DH were egotists. While I don't doubt they could be cocky, they could usually back it up. DF's always vastly overestimated himself. He's a great guitarist. All those other roles - not so much. He was going to try to tell DH and Glenn he was worth as much to the band as they were, not only financially (albeit his main focus), but in terms of importance and output and success. Get real Don. You're a hired gun guitarist and nothing more. Yes, you wrote the bit of music that became Hotel California. But you did NOT write it. His passive aggression combined with his malcontent personality, ego, and inability to accept the fact he's just a guitarist, and not a frontman/singer/main songwriter basically made him a royal pain to work with. And it stems from insecurities. He knows he's not all that he claims. He was never okay with the fact he's just a great guitarist and that's it and that he was never, ever going to be DH. Never, ever going to be Glenn. I'd even make the argument that while it seems on the surface his main point that got him fired was wanting the same pay as Frey and Henley, I think more than the money, he wanted them to see him as an equal in the band. Equal importance, equal say, equal output. We know how he acted when he was told he wasn't going to sing Victim Of Love. I wonder about the idea that it was never about the actual money itself, but rather by getting the same pay, he could tell himself he that he was of equal importance. When told to shove it - he did for awhile. but then started being passive aggressive and that rightly got him canned.

To me when I see Don Felder, hear him talk, etc I can't help but to feel bad for him. While almost anyone would give their left kidney to have been in his place, he never felt content. Never felt happy or truly proud of what he'd done without the need to exaggerate it. In another view, it's maddening because he never seemed grateful and always seemed entitled and acted like a baby when he was told no by Glenn Frey. To make that final call to Glenn, begging for his job back not only reeks of desperation, but also admitting that he was wrong. But I think had Glenn given him another chance, he'd do it again. Maybe not for awhile but people like that will continue to do it. And seemingly will find someone else to leech off of. No contact is the best policy. He should thank his lucky stars for seemingly walking into the life he has. So a part of me has sheer disdain for his arrogance, I also am sympathetic to a point, considering how miserable it must be to have all of that going for you, and need more and nothing is ever enough. It's just like he never truly grasped the fact that he was a great guitarist and didn't need to be anything more. He was set. He never appreciated how lucky he was. It's pathetic!

I heard this exact speech in concert and it made me cringe and the only thing popping into my head at the time was the page in the DSM about "Narcissistic Personality Disorder"...textbook case if you ask me.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 02-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."