Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    TBH, edwardd19, he brings it on himself. He's got no one else to blame.

Any pain he got from the Eagles was something he brought on himself. It wasn't mean old Glenn. Glenn was in the right. No one likes someone who brings everyone down with their snide comments or constant whining OR malcontent nature. The straw that broke the camels back was when he asked for the same money as Glenn, got told no and he said ok. But then to make everything miserable, he kept being passive aggressive about it, and finally Glenn and probably DH had enough and Glenn told him to get lost. Don Felder is not innocent, at all. He was responsible for his demise in the band. He helped to break them up in 1980, Glenn wasn't about to let him ruin it again in 2000. Don Felder is a brilliant guitarist. But he, IMO, is an unsavory character and I get tired of his need to constantly shamelessly exaggerate his importance.

As far as the comment about success, I think that is debatable. I think his main achievement was coming up with the guitar intro for Hotel California, and giving it to Don and Glenn to write a song with. And yes, it's their biggest song. But he, while starting the process, wasn't responsible entirely for the whole song. I think that Glenn and Don are largely responsible for the bands success and lasting music. There was a hierarchy to the Eagles and while everyone works as a team and you need the other guys, not everyone gets to be quarterback. Not everyone gets to be coach. And that's ok. But Don Felder didn't think so. Bye!

I don't doubt Glenn could be cold and perhaps mean at times, but not to the extent Felder and his fans would like you to believe. And to be frank, Glenn's personality type would certainly clash with that of Don Felder, who was passive aggressive and would whine incessantly about being told no by someone who was more dominant. But Glenn wasn't this evil guy. And certainly he did get tired of Felder as time went on. But if Felder would have just assumed his role of a guitar player and not complained about not singing (which he cannot do) or having equal money and power in the band, then I'm sure he'd still be in the band. There is an interview on YouTube of Glenn in the 80s talking about Felder, praising him, and saying that he was an integral member in the second half of the 70s. He wasn't out to get him. Neither was Henley.

I used to think Don Felder was wronged, got a raw deal, and that he was the innocent man he claimed to be. Then, I woke up and realized that almost anyone would have a hard time working with Felder, especially if you were his superior. And I realized that Glenn wasn't as bad as he says, and that he wasn't the victim that he proclaimed so loudly to be. If he had owned up to his mistakes, apologized to Glenn and Don, and not wrote a nasty book trashing Don and Glenn - who knows, he may have been asked back at some point but that would have been giving him a third chance. And to me, a second chance is plenty, IMO.

My opinion of Felder will change when Felder owns up to his mistakes and cuts back on the silent arrogance and quits claiming that he "wrote" Hotel California. Then I will cut him a break. I don't see it happening!
    Walshfan88, felder had all the right to ask for the same money as glenn and don during hell freezes over, THEY signed the eagles LTD deal back in 1975, with bernie and randy gone, all the royalties were left to the three remaining members of eagles limited, don, glenn, and felder. Dont you think that Henley and Frey should have at least respected the contract that they signed back in 1975? i mean they did create it back in 1975, because of money issues, and it was meant for EVERYONE in the deal to get an equal share of the royalties, so why should it change in 1996? and whats wrong with felder asking for equal pay? he was entitled to earning the same as glenn and henley, so ya he should be questioning his pay, he had the right to know what was going on with all the money, like i said before Eagles LTD did include Henley, FreY, AND Felder. and no it was not completely felders fault for the bands break up in 1980 it was both frey and felder, dont you find it ironic that Bernie and Randy QUIT the band, because they had issues with the same person, Glenn. I never heard them say in the history of the eagles doc that they had issues with Henley or Felder , it was always with glenn. The only reason why they broke in 1980, was because Felder did not back down like bernie and randy in 1977 and 1975, he stood up for what he believed in, which is what glenn feared for.

And yes maybe felder just came up with the guitar parts for hotel california, but he also played vitals roles for other songs, One of these nights, Those shoes, the long run, ICTYW, Although he may not have written the parts for some of these points, but his playing during those parts is what made it special. its evident in bootleg recordings from HFO or the 70s. I mean watch greeensboro 1996, when felder plays the i cant tell you why , the crowd goes crazy, when the camera shows felder playing during lyin eyes, they go even crazier, Hotel california is no question The crowd loves felders part, and of course his solo during one of these nights just makes the crowd go crazy, those are just some of the songs that prove my point. I mean do not get me wrong, i love frey and henley, trust me these two are truly two of the best singer/
    songwriters of all time, but they just did not handle the band in the RIGHT way. i think they should have respected the Eagles LTD contract back in 1975, like they should have and then there would never have been an issue.

I prefer to see the guy who either Co-wrote the songs or created musical parts to the soundtrack of a large percentage of the planet, perform it, over a carbon copy.

Already Gone
    Good Day in Hell
    One of these nights
    Too many hands
    Visions
    After The Thrill is Gone
    New kid in Town
    Wasted Time
    Victim of Love
    The Last Resort
    Hotel California
    The Long Run
    Disco Strangler
    King of Hollywood
    Those Shoes
    The Sad Cafe
    Please Come Home For Christmas
    Hotel California acoustic
    Get Over It

In addition DF played on stage with the band as a member/part owner, every song that the group has ever performed live between 1973-2004.

How dare Jimi Hendrix sing a Bob Dylan song that he didn't write?
    See how silly that sounds?

Stuck on the Border

I won't comment on the money issue, but as far as I know there generally tends to be more resentment towards the people in bands who either are the bosses or otherwise look after the big picture - instead of just being concerned about their own contributions. Glenn (and to a slightly lesser degree Don H) in Eagles, Simmons & Stanley in Kiss. Therefore, although I didn't know Glenn Frey and I can't say what he was actually like, the fact that he had arguments with Randy, Bernie and Don F doesn't say to me that he was a p****. As far as I know at least Bernie has admitted his behaviour wasn't always great either.

Austin's words were harsher than I would use here at this point (although I feel the same about a lot of the things), but he did say that he'll change his mind if Don F accepts that he's made mistakes in the band as well. Makes perfect sense. So far Don hasn't done this.
    Last edited by chaim; 02-25-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardd19 View Post
    Walshfan88, felder had all the right to ask for the same money as glenn and don during hell freezes over, THEY signed the eagles LTD deal back in 1975, with bernie and randy gone, all the royalties were left to the three remaining members of eagles limited, don, glenn, and felder. Dont you think that Henley and Frey should have at least respected the contract that they signed back in 1975? i mean they did create it back in 1975, because of money issues, and it was meant for EVERYONE in the deal to get an equal share of the royalties, so why should it change in 1996? and whats wrong with felder asking for equal pay? he was entitled to earning the same as glenn and henley, so ya he should be questioning his pay, he had the right to know what was going on with all the money, like i said before Eagles LTD did include Henley, FreY, AND Felder. and no it was not completely felders fault for the bands break up in 1980 it was both frey and felder, dont you find it ironic that Bernie and Randy QUIT the band, because they had issues with the same person, Glenn. I never heard them say in the history of the eagles doc that they had issues with Henley or Felder , it was always with glenn. The only reason why they broke in 1980, was because Felder did not back down like bernie and randy in 1977 and 1975, he stood up for what he believed in, which is what glenn feared for.

And yes maybe felder just came up with the guitar parts for hotel california, but he also played vitals roles for other songs, One of these nights, Those shoes, the long run, ICTYW, Although he may not have written the parts for some of these points, but his playing during those parts is what made it special. its evident in bootleg recordings from HFO or the 70s. I mean watch greeensboro 1996, when felder plays the i cant tell you why , the crowd goes crazy, when the camera shows felder playing during lyin eyes, they go even crazier, Hotel california is no question The crowd loves felders part, and of course his solo during one of these nights just makes the crowd go crazy, those are just some of the songs that prove my point. I mean do not get me wrong, i love frey and henley, trust me these two are truly two of the best singer/
    songwriters of all time, but they just did not handle the band in the RIGHT way. i think they should have respected the Eagles LTD contract back in 1975, like they should have and then there would never have been an issue.
    I'm not even going to focus on the songs issue.

But let's get one thing straight - Felder never did anything that Glenn feared. Glenn didn't fear anything. That's why he was called the fearless leader. Glenn was an A type personality. Felder was not. Felder actually submitted, when Glenn told him to take the deal or leave it. He agreed, and got real quiet about it. However, he started acting passive aggressive towards Glenn and maybe Don and that wasn't something Glenn was going to put up with. I admire Glenn's tenacity, confidence, and outwardness when he made decisions. I also admire him for taking Felder's call in the end. Glenn wasn't scared of Felder in the slightest. Felder, IMO, was someone who would back down, and yet follow it up with jabs and unpleasantness to make up for the fact he couldn't get what he wanted. He wasn't a doormat, but he was passive-aggressive.

As far as Randy and Bernie - I think Bernie was no innocent man either, after all he dumped a bottle of beer on Glenn's head (which I'm still surprised Glenn didn't whoop his butt for!!). I don't doubt he had his problems with Glenn, and I don't doubt Glenn had legitimate reasons for being upset with Bernie. Randy was quite innocent. However, I think he was getting tired of the band drama, and left. And I don't think it was all Glenn. Randy was a quiet person and I think he had just had enough of that lifestyle. Again, not really Glenn's fault, however Glenn wasn't always innocent I'm sure. But neither were Bernie/Randy/Felder.

As far as Eagles LTD, that was a different time. You cannot deny that Don and Glenn were the breadwinners of this band. The old phrase Song Power comes to mind. Without those songs being written, and lyrics, etc there would be nothing left other than instrumental music. The other guys were important, but ultimately they were the ones who were writing the bulk of the material, as well as leading the band. I feel it was more than fair for them to reevaluate contracts. After all, they'd been disbanded for so long, and things weren't as they were back then. This was a whole new deal getting back together. And I agree with what Glenn said in the HOTE doc - they had kept that music alive in concert, and kept the name out there. They were the only ones who had post-Eagles solo careers that went anywhere. And couple that with what I said about writing songs - I have no doubt they weren't comfortable with it. Majority rules, and I think that's how it should be. Felder wasn't going to be penniless, nor was he getting paid anything close to minimum wage. He was still getting a paycheck most only could dream of. It wasn't going to affect his bottom line, nor was it going to affect his ability to sustain himself with food, housing, etc. Sure, it's not as much as Don and Glenn, but it wasn't some raw deal either. Anyone who was smart and not completely deluded would have taken the deal presented to Felder and happily played along. Felder had a complex where he thought he was equal to Don and Glenn not only financially but in terms of importance to the Eagles and equal in terms of talent, etc. He was not, not even close. And that's why he got the boot. He couldn't take the deal. And even when he did ultimately take it, he would just make everyone's life on the road terrible to make up for it, and Glenn said see ya later. No one likes a person who does that stuff.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 02-25-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Hi Edward19. I don't want to rehash the money thing over again as it has been done a million times already here (read the D.F threads). When Felder signed the contract for the HFO Tour in 1994, it negated the original contract he signed in 1974-75. He knew when he signed that contract he would be getting less money - it was all spelled out for him and reviewed by his attorney. His problem was after he signed the contact he bitched about it forever. He signed a second new contract when "Selected Works" was to be released. He signed that contract then bitched repeatedly about it. Don Felder is a great guitarist - among the best, he helped take the Eagles to another level. However, he was not hired for his singing ability, he was hired to be the lead guitarist. IMHO, Don is a passable singer. Most certainly not as good as Glenn, Don H, Randy, Bernie Tim or Joe. He was a fifth rate singer in a band that had four guys who could all be lead singers in any other band.
    And, don't know if you know it, but Don Felder did not write or play the guitar solo in ICTYW - that was don by Glenn. Check the album notes/credits. He gave the solo to Felder because he had to play piano in concert - he could not do both on stage. With the exception of HC and Visions, Don Felder did not write any other Eagles songs. Did he play guitar and play some great solos in the songs - yes, but he did not write the word or music for any of those other songs. I have never seem Don Felder in concert. However, WalshFan and other have. WF just saw him last year. You can read his and other people's reviews. I do know from reviews that Don F. uses auto tune. The Eagles have never used auto tune - knot even now when the three main singers are all 72 years - old. Hope you enjoy your time here on The Border.

Very well spoken, NKIT. That contract was well spelled out for Felder. When told he could either sign it or get out of the band, he signed up. After that, it was non stop complaining and being problematic. Felder's childish behavior during the Alan Cranston event was exactly the final nail in the coffin for the band in 1980. Glenn wasn't about to sit back and let Felder ruin it again. The rest of the guys were having a blast. Felder was the Debbie Downer who wasn't gonna be happy unless he got what he wanted and thought he deserved. It only takes one to be a party pooper and then that person doesn't get invited back to parties.

So many think Don created the ICTYW solo. And for years Felder went along with it, until he was firmly pinned down with a question, to which he sheepishly replied 'No, that was done by Glenn Frey".

Glenn's guitar playing was and still is highly underrated. His soulful style heard on ICTYW, TALA, etc is second to none and he can rock it up too (AG, WW, etc).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I didn't want to get sucked into this, I think Felder is a fantastic guitarist, but after reading his book and seeing interviews etc, he aggrevates me. I would love to see Felder and Walsh playing together in Eagles, but he sadly burned his bridge. He takes a lot of credit for things he played a part in but wasn't totally responsible for. His constant taking credit for HC drives me nuts. He finally said that Joe came up with the ending. and who is to believe Joe didn't come up with his solo? We don't have to discuss lyrics. Those Shoes....Joe does the solo, as in Victim Of Love. He contradicts himself a lot in the book and irritated me with the snide remarks throughout. it's such a shame because it tarnished his amazing talent!

And sure Don and Glenn had solo success but Joe's wasn't a flop either. Just had to speak up on that....

But let's remember this thread is for Don's videos and let's all get along.
    Let's hug it out!

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    I didn't want to get sucked into this, I think Felder is a fantastic guitarist, but after reading his book and seeing interviews etc, he aggrevates me. I would love to see Felder and Walsh playing together in Eagles, but he sadly burned his bridge. He takes a lot of credit for things he played a part in but wasn't totally responsible for. His constant taking credit for HC drives me nuts. He finally said that Joe came up with the ending. and who is to believe Joe didn't come up with his solo? We don't have to discuss lyrics. Those Shoes....Joe does the solo, as in Victim Of Love. He contradicts himself a lot in the book and irritated me with the snide remarks throughout. it's such a shame because it tarnished his amazing talent!

And sure Don and Glenn had solo success but Joe's wasn't a flop either. Just had to speak up on that....

But let's remember this thread is for Don's videos and let's all get along.
    Let's hug it out!
    I never said Joe's solo career was a flop. I specifically stated that of the post-Eagles solo careers, theirs were the only ones that went anywhere. Glenn himself said that in the doc. And I completely agree. I was very specific about that. Obviously when you look at them in their entirety, Joe's was quite successful and in fact that's why Glenn wanted him in the band after their producer played them a Joe Walsh record.

Joe's solo material is great, but mostly the stuff that came before the breakup of the Eagles in 1980. Those were the albums that sold. The point was that I agreed that it was Glenn and Don that kept the music alive during the period where the Eagles were disbanded.

This is Don's video thread (to which I responded to chaim's comment about his intro speech to a concert video posted), but it isn't his positivity thread, either. I pull no punches when it comes to my distaste for Felder, it's nothing personal against his fans, but rather the man himself and that's all.

Personally, I don't see a big argument here. It's a disagreement between Edward and I about Felder deserving equal money. The rest of us seem to be getting along just fine, lol.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 02-25-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I hear ya, Walshfan 88, not saying you said it was a flop, but that part of the doc stung me a bit...I'm a bit biased 😉 but I think Joe's 80s stuff is looked over. Pre Eagles is amazing as is But Seriously Folks...

I guess I just wanted to put a little water on the fire. Everyone has their fave and are passionate to defend them.

My husband is a die-hard Felder fan, so it gets heated here too! LOL

No ill will.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    I hear ya, Walshfan 88, not saying you said it was a flop, but that part of the doc stung me a bit...I'm a bit biased 😉 but I think Joe's 80s stuff is looked over. Pre Eagles is amazing as is But Seriously Folks...

I guess I just wanted to put a little water on the fire. Everyone has their fave and are passionate to defend them.

My husband is a die-hard Felder fan, so it gets heated here too! LOL

No ill will.
    Of course. I disagree with edwardd19 on Felder's pay and firing, but that's all it is. I feel like Felder never owned up to his part of the deal. And I personally believe that his exit in the 2nd half of the band was solely his wrongdoing. I side with Glenn on that completely. I don't doubt Glenn could be cross, and I don't doubt that Glenn's more bold personality clashed with that of Felder's which was more passive. But I think it's Felder's "I'm a victim" stuff that kills me. As is when he tried to make Glenn out to be a monster in his book. Glenn was actually a nice guy, and while I think Henley is quite talented, I know which guy I'd rather work for. When Felder owns up to his part of it (and IMO, his part was far bigger than Glenn's), takes back the things he said about Glenn, and regrets how he acted about the KCH and Grammy tribute, I will formally take back all I've said about him. But until then, IMO you get what you give and I don't like how he's completely backed out of all responsibility for his actions in the Eagles both in the 70s and 90s.

The 80s Walsh stuff doesn't speak to me so much. I loved everything up thru BSF, but BSF was during the Eagles days. I think for me, The Confessor was probably his best output since BSF. But I still prefer pre-80s.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger