Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Since this started from my comment about the intro speech in Don's concerts and discussing Felder's value is still connected to it, couldn't everything from my comment onwards be removed to the new thread and the thread be titled "Don Felder concert introduction"?

Stuck on the Border

Although I would never have started a new thread about it. It's not THAT important to me.I was just reacting to a video clip that was posted, so I must say I'm not fond of the idea of being the starter of a negative DF thread.

I'm having the problem again that my posts disappear when I try to edit them. That's why I've made several posts again...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    And Felder didn't come up with the whole intro. Glenn did the harmony guitars.
    I disagree with edwardd19 about some things here, but I definitely agree about the HC writer credits. Felder's name should definitely always be first.

Absolutely, chaim!

Stuck on the Border

Although I would never have started a new thread about it. It's not THAT important to me.I was just reacting to a video clip that was posted, so I must say I'm not fond of the idea of being the starter of a negative DF thread.

I'm having the problem again that my posts disappear when I try to edit them. That's why I've made several posts again...
    I understand. If Dreamer wants to do it that way, I'm happy to be the "thread starter" with my post responding to you.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I understand. If Dreamer wants to do it that way, I'm happy to be the "thread starter" with my post responding to you.
    If the thread is going to start negatively anyway, it might as well start with my post. I was just wondering if there's any other way, because if I'd start a new thread here about Don's intro speech, I certainly wouldn't use the word "hilarious" in the first post. Perhaps if my first post had a "removed from another topic" notification...

I still feel the same way I wrote about Felder years ago when we discussed the book and subsequent interviews, but made a promise (to people here and to myself) to tone it down, because I agreed that a Don Felder forum should be above all positive. I will still say if some new things concerning Don irritate me, but starting a whole new thread about negative stuff is not what I'd like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardd19 View Post
    i am not trying to bash on Henley or Frey, like i said before, im a huge fan of the eagles, if not a die-hard fan. I love the eagles, from bernie to randy, to glenn and tim, i love them all.
    edwardd19, if you love the different line-ups of the classic band era and appreciate most if not all the members, then you are a indeed a die-hard fan. Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by edwardd19 View Post
    im just trying to defend Felder, after i saw several comments about his concerts and little speeches that he gave during his concerts.
    You are free to speak your mind, of course, but Felder really doesn’t need to be defended. There have been so many attacks against him and many of them have long grown old and stale. I’m with KingWalsh in that I prefer not to get sucked into the debate about Felder’s dealings with the Eagles. People are going to disagree about his value to the band. And like Randy said, “right or wrong, what’s done is done.”

Felder, like many of us, has moved on. He seems to be happy, healthy and against the odds, enjoying a modestly successful solo career touring and even recording. Not many lead guitarists from a 70s band can say that. I imagine he enjoys his family and being a grandfather, and he has recently found new love. Ever so often, I’ll post something in his sub-forum, knowing there is a risk it will be mocked or twisted into something negative. But it doesn’t really matter. These guys have entered their 70s and aren’t getting any younger. I prefer to celebrate them, rather than continually dwell on past grievances. That doesn’t mean if someone finds his concerts lacking they shouldn’t comment. Of course they should if they want to, this is a discussion forum. Unfortunately too often the discussion gets circled back to the same old bashing and negativity.

It would probably amuse Felder knowing that he continues to be a hot topic many years after he left the band!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have copied and/or moved some posts from another thread that were off-topic to this new thread. This thread is for discussing Felder's role and contributions in the Eagles.

I appreciate the comments and opinions about whether or not to start another thread for this discussion. I am sensitive that the new thread may appear to be negative, but on the other hand I am also sensitive when people complain about going into a thread that is for videos only to be surprised to find the discussion veered into pages of totally unrelated debate. As much as I would love to avoid the negativity, the fact of the matter is that Felder is a very polarizing figure among Eagles fans.

Personally, I have tried to avoid the discussions, but if others are interested in continuing to discuss Felder's problems within the band, then there is nothing wrong with that as long as the debate stays respectful. However, I do want to caution all participants that it is fine to express your opinion as long as it is based on facts. I know that it is a sign of the times, but please let's avoid introducing 'alternative' facts to support your position. All healthy, worthwhile debates start with a foundation of real facts.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Default Re: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

I have no opinion about what may have transpired in the band with regard to personal matters. With regard to Eagles music, I think that they definitely lost the smooth guitar playing that Don provided for the band when he was fired. While Steuart is indeed an accomplished guitar player, I have never heard him get a similar tone to Don at any point post-2001. It is interesting that even on a few of the early Eagles songs, Steuart still prefers to play Felder's parts over Bernie's.

Don still sounds mostly the same to my ear in concert during recent years; he has seemingly become slightly rougher than before, but then again, so has Joe.

With regard to Felder's solo concerts, I have long thought that he should either start singing for real (he's not terrible on a good day to be honest; it would seem that some voice lessons could greatly improve his voice) or hire someone to play rhythm guitar and sing some songs (this would also allow Don to eliminate any backing tracks that he uses and would really allow him to have a live band much closer to the Eagles in terms of musical quality). As for the lawsuit, I have no horse in that race as I don't know what happened; apparently, it does not mean that Don and Joe are forbidden from speaking to one another, so I can only hope that they will play together in the near future.