Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

My mother finally got her second shot on Wednesday after it was cancelled last week because of severe weather.

Other than her having a sore arm, she's fine. She's lucky. I got the side effects while she didn't.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I got the J&J vaccine yesterday. I didn't have anything except a sore arm until about 10pm last night. Then the side effects started. It started with a headache, then muscle aches, chills, and a fever. It was terrible. I took Advil, which helped a little, and went to bed. This morning I woke up feeling fine, but my arm is still sore.

I've gotten my second dose (Pfizer). I had a sore arm like the first time, but no other ill effects except a pounding headache for a few hours the next day. I feel pretty lucky.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

So happy to hear so many people are getting the vaccine. Most of my family has been vaccinated, which is a huge relief.
    Shun - Glad to hear you are feeling better. UTW & GA, I hope you and your families can get the vaccine soon. UTW - BBQ at 32 degrees ! Only kids would do that. It is so nice to hear that families and friends can begin seeing each other again. Hope they have a great time !
    I received the Pfizer vaccine and had a sore arm after the first shot and was very tired after the second. Other than that no other symptoms. My sister and a couple of other family members were sick after the second Moderna shot. New Jersey will be opening up the vaccine to people 16 and over on April 19th. The Governor wants schools to be open and resume full time classes come September 2021. As of yesterday over one million people in the state have been totally vaccinated. There is a surge but it is in the 20 - 40 age group who are not practicing social distancing.The latest stats show 817,464 confirmed Covid cases and 24,649 confirmed Covid deaths since the first case was reported on March 4, 2020.

I'm glad you didn't have severe side effects, New Kid - I had a fever, headache, & muscle aches after the J&J vaccine. It only lasted a few hours, but it wasn't fun.

My office is starting to get vaccinated and my boss is hoping for a return to some form of normality in early summer. (Many of us are still splitting time between working from home and the office and masks are worn at all times except in your own office space). The problem is that one of my coworkers refuses to get the vaccine. I don't think she has a medical or religious reason. I don't know if my boss can require it, but it would be wonderful to be back in the office without fear. There is so much uncertainty over what you can do once you're fully vaccinated that I don't even know what a return to normal would look like.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/healt...fda/index.html

Hopefully this is just a random problem and not a sign of problems for the J&J vaccine. I know the AstraZeneca shot has been plagued with the same claims. They are both one-dose shots and I'm wondering if there are commonalities in their makeup. That said, it needs to be watched closely. It's not going to help the anti-vaxxers feel any better about the shots and will only worsen their fear mongering. You can pick your vaccine, folks. For those folks so afraid of it, get Moderna or Pfizer. Personally I like the two-dose system better in terms of my comfort level but at this point people need vaccinated and as long as the blood clot risks of AZ and J&J are rare, I see no reason to withdraw them yet.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

We don't all have a choice other than vaccine or no vaccine. The AstraZeneca Vaccine has two doses but in the UK the decision was made to delay the second dose so that more people could get their first dose (I had my first dose in mid-March and will get my second at the end of March). Some studies have suggested that a longer gap gives better protection as it allows more time for an immune response.

J&J have been running a clinical trial with a second dose, in the UK. I'm sure they are hoping this will give higher efficacy.

From what I've read, the J&J vaccine is similar to the AZ vaccine, and Sputnik V is also of the same type. We are being told that the risk from these rare blood clots is comparable with that of being killed in a road traffic accident on a 250 mile trip. We're also told that for most people, the risks from Covid greatly outweigh the possible risk from the vaccine but that it's more finely balanced for those under 30. So anyone under 30 will be offered a different vaccine, probably Pfizer or Moderna.

My sons, both under 30, are keen to be vaccinated. The older is concerned about the risk of long-Covid whereas the younger doesn't want to infect other people. The anti-vaxxers make a lot of noise but there are a lot of people who will quietly accept vaccination.

We began our next step in the release from lockdown yesterday. In England, non-essential shops, hairdressers and gyms can open and pubs can open outdoor spaces.

That's true, UtW. I had forgot that AZ was a two dose system but they were holding off on doses, which is why I think I thought it was a one dose deal.

Here in the States you normally actually can pick your manufacturer, sometimes by choosing where you go to get the shot. Some pharmacies, stores, or health departments are doing one or the other. And now that Biden has opened up the vaccines, you can go anywhere to get it and not on a rollout by your state's department of health. Now with more availability, you can be more "choosy".

I chose a place that gave Moderna which was HyVee, a grocery store/pharmacy chain in the US. It was before it was generally available. At that time they were still following the state department of health's rollout. I qualified under Phase 1c, which is those under 65 with preexisting conditions. Same with my dad. My mom got hers early. She works in a school and was considered an essential worker, so she actually got hers before Phase 1b, which was seniors/above age 65. She was in the Phase 1a here in IL. Gov. Pritzker did a good job with the rollout but I'm glad it's generally available.

I'm not sure that I'm convinced that waiting longer between doses is a good idea or that it's better than the one-month cycle of Moderna and Pfizer if I'm being honest. I think that one shot does NOT offer enough protection, especially if that shot was built for a two dose administration. That seems like an awfully long time to wait with a half-strength dose. Is it better than nothing, of course, but I'd be concerned that for the at-risk people, that wouldn't be enough to keep them from getting ill. I think that seeing how people react to their second doses of Moderna and Pfizer, they are building enough of an immune reaction since there is significantly more side effects after the 2nd administration of the vaccine. I do think the people who have more signs of feeling under the weather the day after the second shot means that they built a stronger reaction than those who got away with nothing more than a sore arm. Only time will tell but I do have a lot of confidence in the mRNA vaccines.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 04-13-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

And now J&J's vaccine is on hold in the US while we wait for data about blood clots.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/healt...fda/index.html
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

I think the delayed second dose was the right approach for the UK at the time. Infection rates, hospitalisations and deaths were very high in January and the aim was to give protection to the greatest number of the most vulnerable people as quickly as possible. If you have a vaccine that's 76% effective against symptomatic infection after one does and 86% after two, you can do the maths and work out that if you have 200 does, you can give one dose to 200 people and 152 will be protected whereas if you give two doses, you only protect 86. One thing that has helped is that vaccinations were targeted at the most vulnerable first and delivered in a very efficient way. We're told that 95% of those over 50, as well as other vulnerable groups have had a first dose and increasing numbers are now getting their second. Unfortunately, because of supply problems, people aged 45-49 are only just being offered a first dose this week. The booking and organisation is excellent, just not enough vaccine.

I'm not worried about having to wait for a second dose as it's the first that gives the greatest benefit, but what worried me is the variants. In the last few days we have been hearing of a large number of cases of the SA variant in London and that's the one where the AZ vaccine may be considerably less effective. It doesn't take long for infections to spread from London to the rest of the country.