Page 69 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Corona Virus

It sure is scary, UTW. Cases are beginning to rise rapidly again here in the U.S. again just when we thought we could get back to some sense of normalcy. i'm not looking forward to autumn and winter here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Cases in Ireland are rising too but at least all adults can now access whatever vaccine they choose now so it will only be a matter of weeks before we are all vaccinated. We have had a very high uptake of vaccines with really only a few refusing and these have medical reasons for this. Indoor dining will reopen next week but you have to show your vaccination cert to be admitted. I hope that they make inroads to vaccinating the 12-18 group before the schools reopen in Septmber as this variant is very virulent and will have the capacity to spread through schools very quickly.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Our cases are back up to the 1,000 here in Mississippi. People are still acting like Covid-19 is not real or still have that attitude I won't wear a mask no matter what.

I might have to start back wearing my mask at work. My job told us we don't have to wear it, its up to us. I worked with usually three people at night. We are 6 ft apart. I'm on a platform and they are at the bottom. So we're not in each other's space, but since cases are going back up and I can still get it even though I'm vaccinated, I'm not going to risk it. I still was wearing my mask to the store, but I wasn't really wearing my mask unless I leave my desk.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

I just noticed this morning that the grocery stores where I usually shop (Clark's Nutrition, Trader Joe's & Sprout's) have removed the floor stickers indicating the 6 feet distance. It is very unsettling.
    But we did stop in at Von's and there was someone there still wiping down the shopping carts.
    We still wear our masks, no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    People are still acting like Covid-19 is not real or still have that attitude I won't wear a mask no matter what.
    Sadly, this is the case around my area too. It's a major problem. And I don't think it's just my location or yours, shun. I think these people who think and act this way are far and wide. Do I think it's more common in smaller towns or suburbs or in certain locations of the world where it's more "country" or southern, sure. But it's in all of those.

And some may not like or agree with me saying this - but this is a 100 percent politicized issue now. You cannot convince me otherwise. It should have *never* been made into political theater. It should have never been a partisan issue. It should have not been a race/gender/identity or even national issue. This was and is a human issue internationally. Forget all of the identifiers and parties and classes. COVID doesn't care about that. It cares about infecting you and getting you to pass it along. The funny (only in irony) thing is, one minute the naysayers are saying to give Operation Warp Speed and the last administration all the credit for the work on bringing these vaccines so quickly and for the current administration to not take any credit for the rollout. And in the next breath, it's all about how the vaccines (that Operation Warp Speed created) were too rushed and it's unsafe because "insert conspiracy nonsense here". Or that they are laden with microchips or chemicals that sterilize you. I think the minute the current President started to promote those vaccines from day 1 in office and work on actually getting them rolled out en masse and available enough and not to just emergency workers and buying enough doses and getting pharmacy partnerships, etc (the thing 45 didn't do!) - some people immediately turned on the idea and in a big way. Disinformation became the norm. And I don't mean misinformation. Disinformation to me is when you knowingly share false information that is dangerous to the health of others to promote a narrative. It suddenly became all about bashing the vaccine. The "covid isn't real" stuff started though early in 2020 because POTUS was downplaying it. To me it's a crime against humanity now. The amount of echo chamber brainwashing and the socialization of that group of people online and in person at this point has done irreparable damage to the USA, IMO. And it all started with their leader. Love me or hate me for it, that's how I believe. Boy howdy how I wish this wasn't politicized. How I wish everyone just did the right thing and didn't question logic and science and did what the experts told them to. And if information changed, change with it. Quit promoting the nonsense they are muzzles or control devices or that they offer no protection. Of course it's not 100% percent effective but neither is birth control and people use that all the time because some protection is better than none. I firmly believe there would be less people dead, way more people vaccinated, herd immunity reached, and EVERYONE doing the right thing by their fellow man by social distancing and wearing those masks they hate. Had the messaging from the last President been different, we'd be looking at a different America IMO.

Stay safe everyone. I feel grateful to have received both of my Moderna vaccines and am anxiously awaiting being able to take a booster should one be approved for emergency use. Still, with news of the delta variant and such, I have gone back to wearing a mask in public places and limiting public exposure. I'm still doing takeout and appointments and seeing family, but I'm not afraid to revert back to 2020 levels of lock in, should the evidence be that it is the right thing to do. Could have been avoidable if more people got the shot and did the right thing. Having some people doing the right thing and some not is like having a peeing section in a public pool. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

After the concerns of a week ago, the case numbers in the UK have dropped sharply but unfortunately deaths are the highest they have been since March. One theory is that the recent increase was driven by the success of the England fottbal team in the Euros. The nuumbers peaked several weeks earlier in Scotland because the Scottish team exited the competition early. However, it could just be that school holidays start three weeks earlier in Scotland. Watching with fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    After the concerns of a week ago, the case numbers in the UK have dropped sharply but unfortunately deaths are the highest they have been since March. One theory is that the recent increase was driven by the success of the England fottbal team in the Euros. The nuumbers peaked several weeks earlier in Scotland because the Scottish team exited the competition early. However, it could just be that school holidays start three weeks earlier in Scotland. Watching with fingers crossed.
    I'm real concerned about the next wave of hospitalization and death in America from the virulence of the Delta variant. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this winter will be brutal.

I do think the people who have been vaccinated will be kept from the ICU and dying of COVID-19, but I'm real concerned about the possibility of transmitting it to an unvaccinated person while the vaccinated person acts as an asymptomatic carrier. SARS-CoV-2 is still such a novel virus that we are still learning about it and what it does to the body a whole year and some months later after the first hit. Bat coronaviruses are the closest cousin to it, which would be the SARS-CoV-1 (SARS) virus from years ago, but even it is a distant ancestor to it. It likely came from mutations between bats in caves, IMO. And other animals later sold in wet markets in China. It certainly mutates quickly.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

With this Delta variant picking up speed, I feel a sense of impending doom. Like how you feel getting into a roller coaster and you just know that first drop is going to be terrifying. In Utah, there are a few, thankfully not a lot, but still a few clumps of communities that are refusing to get the vaccine mostly for religious reasons. In California, the numbers are of course higher because it's a bigger state. I am grateful to hear about a lot of people getting vaccinated. However there is so much misinformation being passed around, that it's mind boggling. A lot of people still don't believe it's that serious. "It's just the flu!" I keep hearing. My sister is extremely adamant on her refusal to get vaccinated. I have since learned to not engage with her when she rants about it. It's like arguing with a brick wall. This whole situation is extremely draining.

Here in CA the Delta version is spreading quickly especially in the bigger cites, more people may be a reason. I've been following what they say about a booster and have seen some good numbers with a third shot so if it's offered I'll get it. I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHERS SAY, I'm the only one responsible for me. If I want to wear a mask, leave me alone, it's my choice. I like the 6 foot rule because I really don't like people up in my space. In our neighborhood almost everyone has had shots but we have some that won't get them, a couple because they can't because of medical reasons. But even they are watching and hoping that one will be along soon that they can take. Their doctor said if they would come out with a milder version per shot but more shots it may work for them. Like a shot every 2 months and four total shots.
    We had one restaurant that during the first round they wouldn't serve you if your were wearing a mask. If you came in to pick up your take out order they would dink around so long that your food would be cold. Some said they waited for almost an hour to pick up. Now they won's serve you unless you can prove you haven't had shots?? How one does that I don't know. Saw on the news this morning the State is investigating them because they took money for ppp and payroll protection, over $50,000.
    So thats CA I guess Born in SoCal and never lived anywhere else and we have always had "diverse" people here. On the other hand LA Music in the 70's-80's was great. Saw all the Eagles before they formed was also nice but the whole music scene was unreal.
    Stay safe and watch out for the Delta version and keep an eye on flu season too. We can't control what others do but we can control what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    We had one restaurant that during the first round they wouldn't serve you if your were wearing a mask. If you came in to pick up your take out order they would dink around so long that your food would be cold. Some said they waited for almost an hour to pick up. Now they won's serve you unless you can prove you haven't had shots?? How one does that I don't know. Saw on the news this morning the State is investigating them because they took money for ppp and payroll protection, over $50,000.
    Ok, that is just wrong!

It sounds like the owner/staff are putting an anti-vax agenda before the safety of their customers. I hope they get sued into oblivion and charged by the state. Clearly not a place that should still be in business after all this. It truly is hard to bite my tongue now in regards to certain groups of people who continually undermine science or try to believe in a failed movement and can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to what's real vs what is brainwashing done by a cult made of conspiracies, false hopes, misinformation, and blind loyalty.

Please stay safe, Scamp! You are doing all the right things. If people want to give you a hard time for wearing a mask or getting the shot, that reflects on them not you!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger