Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    Now I just want to express my opinion about something that kinda bothers me. As I stated in another post on the board how happy I was to find a board where everything didn't become political in some way. I don't want to say they are right or wrong just I'm getting tired of it. I mean it's getting old. I realize people are going to say it's their right as it is, people aren't going to agree on everything, which is true. But to me it just seems to make a post seem so angry.
    That's it, I'm done... Let's make it about the music..
    It's hard (actually impossible, but) to make a thread about millions dying of a pandemic "about the music", Scamp. This is a serious, life-changing topic that requires the right information getting out. I think not having this thread would be a mistake. I think every public platform needs to have this kind of up to date information and discussion and clearing the air about myths and conspiracies so that people need not die anymore because of this horrible disease. I think every forum should have a COVID thread. Every Facebook group. I think there should be more community task forces in public to discuss this and put out flyers and share the right information. Censor the misinformation and remove it from social media so that vulnerable minds aren't at risk. I'm all for shutting down those social accounts repeatedly and intentionally sharing deadly conspiracies!

I see your point. Trust me. A deadly disease the world hasn't seen the likes of before is the last thing that should have been politicized. Sadly it was by the last sitting president. Not my fault. It would have been the last thing I would have wanted politicized. But I will call him out for his terrible mismanagement of the virus and for brainwashing so many other Americans into thinking masks are weak, the virus isn't so bad, and for not coming out and speaking out against the vaccine disinformation that so many of his followers are pedaling. I don't care if he was a Democrat or Republican or Barney the purple dinosaur. I'm a Democrat who didn't like him for other reasons, but had he been a Democrat, I would have gladly voted for the other party to remove him from office! He has blood on his hands - plain and simple. The Bob Woodward tapes show exactly that he's guilty. Guess what, COVID doesn't care who you voted for or if you believe it or not. You are another host that can just succumb like anyone else. It doesn't care about freedom or silly selfish things like crying about lockdowns or masks or whether or not you believe the vaccine is harmful. Unless you have immunity, it will infect you and move to the next!

Make no mistake, I am angry about what is happening in this country with so many people showing such lack of regard for their fellow Americans in not doing the right thing because their Messiah told them so or encouraged it. Again. This is a big deal. I will speak out against this stuff as I see fit. Someone I know's husband just died of COVID. He had the chance to get the shot but his buddies who are all in this tragic mindset of following the last president into the abattoir turned down the shot because of fears of it changing the DNA. He then got COVID, spent 2 weeks in the ICU on a vent, and died. And now his widow is alone. She took the shot. Just because he was selfish and was badly misinformed by these people. This is the stuff that makes my blood boil. You'll notice I'm not talking about foreign policy or economy or anything like that. It IS COVID related.

There are thousands of threads on EOC about music especially Eagles music, I suggest if you don't want posts about things other than music that you avoid this single thread. As you can probably tell, COVID talk and upset doesn't escape this thread. Feel free to put me on your ignore list if it bothers you, or just avoid this thread. I understand. Again, I don't normally discuss this stuff (other than one thread pre-election in 2016). I post all over the forum and am happy to discuss music with you elsewhere. But make no mistake - I am angry and rightfully so and it concerns the hell out of me that some aren't as up in arms! Thankfully, most people posting here take it as seriously as I do and are just as worried about the future of my country and the virus that has claimed so many. I'm seeing the same misinformation in real life and on social media day after day and it wears on me. I also have other life events that are weighing on me. Clapton's statements made me see stars last night. It was the last push I needed to say something and mean it. Perhaps I was over the top. But I'm going to own those comments and beliefs and not back down on them. If it bothered you I am sorry to have not worded it better. But I'm not sorry for believing what I believe or feeling that there are a lot of selfish people in America who when tasked for "loving thy brother", they fall short in a very big way. That hurts and enrages me. I am disabled. I have health conditions. I shouldn't have to stay home just because some people don't want to wear masks or take the shot. You realize just how cruel some people are and how vast that group of people is. But you know what? I still have hope. And I want to believe in my heart of hearts others do.

I'm glad you did your part and got the vaccine. I thank you.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    On the positive side, the vaccine uptake in the UK is very high. Initially, the expectation was that it would be around 75% but so far, it's more like 95% of those over 50. Vaccines are now being offered to everyone over 38 and there are surge vaccination programs in some areas where the "Indian" variant is prevalent. It seems that the British public is very pro-vaccine.
    That is so great to hear, UtW. If only the US could follow suit.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I prefer to think of it as a World Health issue with lots of interesting science. I hope for competent government that will make good decisions based on good science but I accept they will make mistakes. Even the Trump administration got some things right, particularly the investment in the development of vaccines.

Back to the science, I wanted to share some graphs from a recent report from the UK Office of National Statistics that I find exciting. It's relevant for other countries because it shows the correlation between vaccination and Covid antibodies. It shows the sharp increase with the first vaccination, a slight drop after a period before an increase following the second. For those aged over 80, it will have been the Pfizer vaccine and for those aged 50-75 it will mostly be the AZ vaccine.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisation...per/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Even the Trump administration got some things right, particularly the investment in the development of vaccines.
    The speed of development of vaccines, absolutely.

The rollout and buying of doses of the vaccines they spearheaded was a disaster until Biden's cabinet came in. I remember waiting forever and a day for it to go beyond essential workers. And then Biden came in and suddenly everything was moving so much more smoothly. I'll give the Trump administration credit for the speed of development of them, but they literally get no passes on everything else COVID related. And a lot of that had to do with Trump himself. He should have been more proud of the vaccines I suppose and made a PSA and told his people to go get them and to stop believing misinformation. But then again he should have done that with mask wearing, for that matter.

Again the development of the vaccines his cabinet and team they assembled I give full credit for. But the rollout was a disaster. Now the rollout is so smooth we have more vaccines than people willing to take them sadly. At least anyone who wants one can get one and actually have their pick of Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson. That's how available they are at least in the US, what I'm seeing. There are pop up clinics everywhere, pharmacy chains, even doctors offices have started stocking them now thankfully!

It makes me happy too that now we are getting them into the arms of teens in the US, teens being one of the asymptomatic carrier groups. This will help tremendously!

It absolutely is a world health issue, UtW. It's unfortunate that government has to be involved at all.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I went ahead and screenshotted that graph UtW and posted it as a pic. Very interesting indeed!

-Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

New York has arbitrarily ended the mask requirement for fully vaccinated people as of tomorrow. This presents problems for my office, where we are all fully vaccinated except one employee, who refuses to get it. We don't know what to do about it.

Its confusing to even know how to interact anymore. Most people are still wearing masks outside around here. Still, the declining numbers everywhere give me hope one day soon this will be over.

Can't wait for the 4th. We just went in the least restricted and they expect everything to be open by June 15. We're planning our 4th party. We just had a small celebration last year. Most people in our neighborhood have been vaccinated including most the kids.
    We still have to wear a mask in some stores. Most are waiting for June 15 to remove masks. It's confusing. Some places you have to be vaccinated to not wear a mask and some places you need one regardless of having shots.
    We actually have people in the area that say they may just keep wearing a mask when shopping or in a crowd
    We've been so lucky to live along the beach and through all this been able to use the bike path along the beach without masks if you stayed 6 ' apart which was easy on a bike. The actually beach, or sand was closed for a while but opened up early but you couldn't sit on the sand you had to keep moving.With everybody staying home our beaches were empty so it was great. Parents could take their kids to the beach and let them run around.
    Over all in this area most people just followed the "rules" staying 6' apart. We even had a laugh when we realized we were all walking one way through the neighborhood when walking our dogs. It was't something we started because of Covid, we've been doing it all along.
    Hope they can get going on the concerts soon. I bet the guys are just chomping at the bit to resume the tour.
    Everyone keep safe. We're slowly returning to normal. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. LOL

Stuck on the Border

Here in New Jersey 70% of adult have been vaccinated. We still have to wear a mask if going indoors to a rest.,store and public transportation, which I support. We no longer have to wear a mask outside. Personally, I would wear a mask indoors anyway as you have no idea whether a person has been vaccinated - it operates on the honor system. I know a few people who have refused to get the vaccine. Most colleges in NJ are requiring kids be vaccinated before they can return to in-class learning. I have friends who have just had their teenage kids vaccinated.

UTW - Very interesting stats. Austin, thanks for the graph !

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I totally agree with you about the masks, NKIT.

To address Scamp's concerns, we do typically avoid discussing politics on this board. It is very unfortunate that this pandemic has been politicized in the U.S., but it did, in fact, happen and it was inevitable that some of that would find its way into our discussion here. I have also been angry and sad at times at the way things were going in this country that I love. But, at this point, since we are definitely moving in the right direction now, I prefer to just focus on the future and hope things will continue to improve. The only things we can do about the past is to learn from our mistakes instead of denying and/or repeating them.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 05-19-2021 at 10:05 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

First shot done with virtually no side effects. The line I was standing in was exactly like the USA preclearance that we do when travelling over to the US from Ireland and I took that as a good omen. Next shot in 4 weeks. When we can travel again I would love to visit any of Detroit, LA, Washington DC or NYC. Maybe all of them. But I think it will be next year in reality before we can.

I think we will be wearing masks here a lot longer too but 2 fully vaccinated households can meet up indoors now which is great.

Its great to hear all the positivity coming out of the countries where the vaccines are rolling out. I hope that supply to the developing world will be augmented soon also.

Another website which gives up to date information on the progress of the disease and the predictions is worldometer which I find excellent.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP