Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Corona Virus

2nd shot done today so from this day next week I'll be fully vaccinated. I'm glad its the Pfizer bioNtech one. I've heard that J&J and Astrazeneca may not be as effective against the Delta variant, and it will become the dominant variant in Europe and the USA by the end of the Summer according to the scientists.

Looking forward to being able to travel again too. I think our Borders will open up in mid July and we should get our green certs by then too! Fingers X-ed!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

YayGA!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Congrats, GA! I'm glad for you because getting fully vaccinated has been very liberating for me. However, I am concerned that people who are not vaccinated may be getting a false sense of security that the virus is disappearing. Of course, as these highly transmissible variants spread, the unvaccinated are at higher risk. We are already seeing evidence of this in some places here in the U.S. Once cold weather hits again, we could see another surge.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

We're being told that Pfizer is around 95% and AstraZeneca around 92% effective at preventing hospitalisation from the Delta variant. Because most of the older population are fully vaccinated, the majority of those hospitalised are now under 65. Vaccinations have now been opened up to everyone over 18 and in looks like there will be a good takeup.

Unfortunately, the number of Delta cases is still rising and hosptialisations and deaths are also starting to rise, though not at the same rate as earlier waves because of vaccination. I can't imagine how bad things would have been if Delta had arrived a year ago.

Yay GA! It is such a feeling of safety and doing the right thing when you are fully vaccinated. It is NOT foolproof, but it IS highly effective. I certainly feel better now after two doses of Moderna than I ever did before I got my first shot.

I echo UtW's sentiments on the Delta variant. I think the Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, and AZ will offer good-to-great protection against *this* variant, but who knows what comes next. That's why we have to do everything to eradicate it before it mutates again. Like UtW said, I cannot imagine if it came last year. This variant is more virulent and more deadly than COVID or any of the other strains.

My gut tells me that the mRNA vaccines might offer more coverage against variants than the one and done shots, but I think even those will offer a good amount of protection. However, the more removed we get from the original SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 strain we get, that coverage will get more and more weak. That's why time is of the essence on getting people vaccinated en masse.

My hope is that there will be booster shots, especially for the single dose vaccines to offer even more coverage against the Delta variant. If Moderna comes out with one and it passes clinical trials and gets emergency use authorization, I will absolutely take it. Other than the day after the second shot feeling puny, I had no ill effects from it and certainly no effects since then.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

They are predicting a delta surge in Europe generally over the next few weeks. The Euro 2020 football finals haven't helped. Its a race against time to get everyone vaccinated. We are down to our 35-40 age group now for the regular vaccines in the vaccination centres. However the Government has also licenced the pharmacies to start administering the J&J to the 18-34 age group. They have delayed the reoopening of indoor dining and we still can't travel out of the country. But its not all bad news.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Here in SoCal almost everything is opening up now. Los Angeles has had an increase in the Delta version so they are asking everyone to keep wearing mask when out in crowds. In OC we're doing good. Even during the shutdown the bike path along the beach was still open for the most part which really helped. Being able to get out and walk or ride along the path was a mind saver. In our neighborhood we don't stand close to each other when we talk anyway..Everyone like their space. When/if someone went to the store they would call around especially the elderly and see if they needed anything. Even when ordering delivery we'd see if something was needed.
    I think we will have to have booster shots. I think it may end up being just like the flu shot. Get it every year and each year they add all the versions that came out the year before.There will always be those who don't want the shot for what ever reason, their choice, and those who can't have it for medical reason so I think it's important that those who can or want it get it.
    We're starting to get shows and concerts, on small venues, again. We're getting ready for the 4th and having three and maybe more neighborhood players or bands playing. We're having a taco truck handling some of the food and having hamburgers for lunch. We're wrapping all the burgers to have minimum multiple handling. Just trying to not have community dishes to help keep multiple hands in the bowl so to speak...Plus everyone has been vaccinated too.
    Hope everyone's home towns start opening soon, but keep safe.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

We are beginning to see an increase in cases again in the U.S. Hopefully, with the 4th of July weekend here, we won't have another major surge. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yes I'm really hoping we don't hit a hard second or third wave (at this point it's hard to keep track).

The virulence of the Delta strain is very concerning to me. Not so much for the vax'd folks but for the ones who aren't for whatever the reason.

At some point we will need booster shots. They are saying that those that have taken the Moderna, Pfizer, or J&J vaccines will have good to great protection against the Delta variant. But the more removed the variant gets from the original COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 strain we get, the more bleak it will be. That's why we have to reach herd immunity.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

It's supposed to be "Freedom Day" in England but it feels more like it did back in March 202 when we were wondering why we weren't already in lockdown. Cases are increasing rapidly and that includes amongst people who have been double vaccinated. We have an outbreak at work despite very low levels of occupancy in an open plan office - in the last two days, 4 out of 12 have tested positive. One was fully vaccinated (AZ) but I suspect the others have only just had a first dose (they're all young and would only have become eligble in the last 4-5 weeks). So despite a lifting of most legal restrictions, my personal decision will be to stay home and limit my interactions as much as during the full lockdown. What has changed is that I'm less scared about dying but more concerned that I could spread the disease without knowing.

What's shocking is that despite high levels of vaccination, the Delta variant is spreading so quickly. The most recent ONS figures (from a couple of weeks ago) are that around 3% of those aged 16-24 have Covid compared with 0.5% in those aged 50-69 and 0.2% in those aged over 70. These fit well with the antibody data which show only 81% of those aged 16-24 have antibodies compared with around 97% for those aged 50-69 and 99% of those aged over 70. I am also hearing of fully vaccinated people becoming infected. So far, these have had the AZ vaccine which is estimated to be only 60% effective at preventing infection with Delta, whereas Pfizer is estimated to be 88% effective against infection. It's all scary.