Thread: Corona Virus

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Because medical statistics is part of my background I have been crunching the numbers for some of the larger countries and examining the trends, mainly using worldometer. I'm wondering that I'm hearing on the ground about very high numbers of cases and deaths in the USA, yet when I look at the official records they don't tally. While every death is sad and we would wish there were none, 164 deaths yesterday for example in the USA seems out of synch with say 229 in Spain (which has only had 20% the number of cases compared to the USA) and 227 out of just 30,000 cases roughly in Mexico? whereas the USA has almost 1.3 million cases so far?

Is the strain of the virus milder in the USA? Or are the methods to cure it in some way better? Or are not all deaths being categorised as Covid-19 or C-19 related? I'm not pointing the finger here, I'm just interested in the statistical figures.

Is the testing regime strict in the USA? Here anyone displaying any of the symptoms is tested pretty much immediately and told to self isolate at least until the result comes in. Turnaround time is down to within 72 hours. We are testing roughly 43,000 per million of population, the UK is testing 22,600 per million and the USA 25,000

As I say, just interested in the logistics of the thing, seeing what if anything is working towards an eventual positive result

Hi GA . I can't speak for the whole Country - only what I know about NJ and what I have heard on the national news. I can tell that in the beginning the testing was poor. Here in the NJ when this first started in March, there was only one test site in the state. You had to have a prescip. from your doctor and an appointment. NJ has since opened numerous sites but you still must have an apt. and a prescip. I believe they just opened a walk up site in a town a couple of miles from me. I know NJ has been keeping excellent record since I believe March. Our Governor and the health professionals all believe we(NJ), as well as other states, had cases and deaths going back to late Dec. or early Jan. The were recorded as "flu" cases or "pneumonia" case. My state has not yet begun testing for people who are/were asymptomatic or carriers. I did see an add this week for a private clinic that will do testing. The total number of cases and deaths I listed are all confirmed cases. As of Thursday there are 133,635 confirmed cases in NJ and 8,801 confirmed deaths. NY has also been keeping excellent track of it's cases.
    That 164 deaths yesterday in the US is wrong. Yesterday(Thurs.) NJ alone had 254 confirmed deaths and 1,827 confirmed new cases. I don't have the number but NY had a higher amount according to the news reports last night. According to CNN there are 1,273,887 Confirmed cases and 76,475 confirmed deaths in the US as of yesterday(May 7th).
    Hope this is helpful and take care.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 05-08-2020 at 07:38 PM.