Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
Hi UTW and Austin - how are you both doing ? Hope all is well.

I have 8 family members who were vaccinated(and 5 who were boosted) who caught the Omicron Covid Virus. They all became sick at Christmas and early January 2022. All have recovered except a BIL who is having long term memory problems. I continue to wear a mask everywhere and received my second booster in early April. Something like 80% of people here in New Jersey have received the vaccine. However, far less have received booster shots. When out and about, I noticed a lot of people still wearing masks, but more people are not wearing them any more. Everyone is Covid weary but this virus is not going away.
Sorry to hear that, NKIT.

Around here and for what the majority of what I hear on the news - breakthrough infections are not very common. But I hear this story and UtW and it does surprise me. No one I know that has been vaccinated let alone boosted has caught COVID, and a couple of those people are quite social now or in public eating or shopping or going to shows.

I still think the number of vax'd people not getting it is higher than those getting it, but I do realize that they are happening with Omicron. Luckily the CDC confirms my hypothesis that while they are happening, it's so much more often in the unvax'd crowd. I think having 0 breakthrough infections is impossible because not everyone got the initial vaccine so herd immunity was impossible. The crazy naysayers delaying it meant that the virus would in time replicate and change some and make it hard to protect.