Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Corona Virus

We are almost 2 weeks into almost complete lockdown at this stage. This means only essential workers allowed to travel to work. We can leave home for shopping, medical appointments and/ or to care for an elderly or immunocompromised person. Also exercise within 2km of the home. Parks, Beaches, forests and beauty spots have been closed and the police will be out in force over the Easter weekend to make sure people do not breach the regulations. They have said no visiting of family or to holiday homes over the Easter weekend too. Restrictions on lockdown are supposed to be lifted on Sunday but somehow we doubt it. Numbers are fairly constant with about 350-400 new diagnoses daily and 210 deaths overall with the median age of deaths about 80 yo. They say the surge is due over the weekend. BUT its taking 5 days to get an appointment for a test and another 5 to get a result, so its impossible really to tell who has it and who hasn't. In Ireland everyone has the same access to healthcare for this virus regardless as to whether they have insurance or not.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I bet it seems like it's been going on years!

It my area, we've just been on lockdown half that time, and it seems like ages.

They say it will be at its peak in this region in a couple more weeks.

For so long, we were told not to bother with facemasks. Now that's changed, but almost nobody here is wearing them yet (when I last went out, I saw one on an off-duty nurse, and an on one post office worker). I expect people will start soon, when things get worse. So far there are still less than 100 deaths in the state, and no one county has higher than 6 deaths. Amazing, considering how close we are to Louisiana, and how blase some local people been have been. I just ordered a homemade facemask for myself off Etsy; it should arrive in a few days.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Our lockdown has been extended till at least the fifth of May. Our state leaving certificate exams which are normally run at the beginning of June have been postponed until at least the end of July. I don’t know where this will all end. Stay safe everyone
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I agree, I have no idea when this will end, out gov extended it to May 20, yet I’m sure it’ll go on longer. Why have the kids go back to school for a few weeks? Work continues to be stressful. And I’m in a funk of sorts right now. 😕

Stuck on the Border

Our lock down has been going on for three weeks and there is talk of it going to the end of May. Our Governor issued an order earlier in the week for everyone to wear a mask when we go outside. Thus far we have at least 54,588 cases and and almost 2,000 deaths. They are saying the next two weeks are supposed to be the worst. I will probably have to leave my house by the end of the week to go grocery shopping. I have not been out in two weeks except for walks around the block. Grocery home delivery like Instacart have been so overwhelmed they can't keep up with the orders. I tried to order delivery two weeks ago and the three sites here could not take any more delivery orders. So, I had to go to the grocery store. Now they are limiting the number of people allowed in to shop and according to a friend it is being closely supervised by store managers. My sweet niece ordered a couple bottles of wine sent to me.
    I had to trow out some recycling the other day(I live in an apt. complex) and when I tossed mine in I noticed the bin was full of beer and wine bottles. I have never seen that many bottles in the bins. I can't imagine doing this until the end of May but I know it is a small price to pay to stay safe.

The numbers are heartbreaking NKIT. I know the numbers, at least in my state are off. We keep getting more and more inpatients, just where I work alone, yet the gov says hospitalization is happening at a slower rate. I don't see how that's true. 10,538 positive, 448 deaths in CT are the reports, but I don't know, I don't think it's tapering. It's so depressing

Our grocery stores are doing the same, in fact today I ran in quick, as I was leaving there was a line waiting outside to get in because they met their max.

I'm trying to stay as positive as I can, don't want kids to stress, my husband talks about it non-stop and so I don't talk to him about it, try to change the subject, because it just isn't good for him, then it's off to work. I am finding it harder to be upbeat. .

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I think the longer this goes on, the worse the 'stay at home' thing is going to be for all of us. But, we are strong and we can do it. We've come too far to let our guard down now though. My family an I are all trying to follow the advice about practicing social distancing, but not social isolation. We are trying to figure out the best option for all of us to do video chats online? Anyone have any recommendations?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well, Dreamer, I’ve always done FaceTime with my phone. If on android, I think it’s google hangouts. Skype,online, is another choice. I think you have to pay for zoom...unsure. I’m not an expert though. It’s tough.

tonight is the busiest I’ve been on since this all started. I’m tired.

Stuck on the Border

I just checked the pricing model for zoom and there is a free option for up to 100 participants with a time limit of 40 minutes per meeting. I expect the idea is to get people familiar with it so that they will be more likely to buy it for business.

You definitely want something that doesn't favor one platform over the other. So, for me that means FaceTime for iPhones and Duo for Androids is out. I know Duo has an iPhone app, but it's not near as functional for those users as the Android app. Google Hangouts is being deprecated and isn't that great anymore, there are service issues and a lack of a usable feature set. They are going to make it a business only feature. FaceTime doesn't work with Android or Windows at all, they don't even offer it. You have to have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Again, Duo technically has an iPhone app but I've not had good luck with it in the past.

That leaves us with Skype, WhatsApp, Zoom, and other companies.

Personally, I think the most hassle free way to do it is probably Skype because it is free, works just as good on the iPhone and iPad as it does on an Android phone like a Pixel or Samsung. It works great on both Mac and Windows computers and doesn't favor Windows, which is great considering Microsoft does own Skype! But the Mac version is just as great. And being that Microsoft isn't in the phone business, it's great.

Some of these require your phone number (WhatsApp, Duo, etc) however some don't (Skype, Zoom, etc). Just something to keep in mind. I find that while WhatsApp is great on your phone, it's not very tablet or computer friendly. Skype and Zoom are both great on ALL types of devices be it smartphones, tablets, or laptop and desktop computers. With a desktop, you'd need a webcam but most laptops have one built-in.

Right now I have the family using FaceTime as we all are on Apple iPhones. However, I would definitely do a poll of all potential people you want to chat with, and see if they have all Apple. If not, go with Skype! If you all are on Android, then Duo would probably be the best choice considering it's preinstalled on most modern Android phones, be it Samsung Galaxys or Google Pixels (the two most common Android brands).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."