Page 42 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    My boss tested positive two Saturdays ago. Thank goodness nobody else is sick. He was feeling sick the Friday before he went to the doctor and went home. He was the second person in my office to get Covid19. The other person has been back for 3 weeks. IMO. If we weren't mask, we all would had been out sick with Covid-19.

Here's my welcome to my new job welcome.
    So do you have to be tested as a contact of your Boss? And do you have to self isolate until you get your result? This is the way the European Health Authorities are doing it in work places if a worker tests positive. The idea is to stop a cluster in a workplace from spreading out into the community.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post

School is starting in the next week or so. There was already a school district where it was a small outbreak. This is a bad idea to start school. The school district in my city were on the list (well the county) to push back starting school opening. They were doing virtual learning for the rest of this year anyway.

The mask mandate really has been working in my county. We're not seeing 100 cases a day. The numbers are still high, but its dropping.
    We are all back to school on the 27th for all standard Primary and Secondary schools and the Government want to see as many as possible schools reopened. They are 'covid proofing' schools right now. Guess who is my schools 'Covid proofer'? Yep. I'm Busy Being Fabulous!

Opening of Universities and Colleges have been delayed until the start of October. That is because they depend on the State exam results. As we couldnt hold state exams we are working off a model of predicted results and that is taking longer to standardise. For the vast majority of irish students going to University and Colleges their acceptance is purely based on exam performance. Hence the delay.

Quite worryingly we had 200 cases yesterday. Cases have been on the increase over the last week or two but there are a few clusters in meat plants, so the affected plants have been shut down and the 3 counties locked down, so hopefully the area can remain contained. There has been a small amount of community transmission.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

King Walsh, it good to hear you are down to zero Covid patients. It's good to see positive news for a change.

WalshFan, it's easy for people to make those hurtful comments based on numbers but when it comes to real people, perhaps they will be kinder. I'm sure you know that there are many people who value you.

GlennsAllnight, what a challenging job! I hope it is going well. What happens if you have suspected case?

The situation in Ireland sounds like it isn't very different to where I live in England. For now, it seems to be under control. The number of patients in hospital continues to fall from nearly 20,000 at the peak down to fewer than 1,000 this weekend. The latest seven-day average of daily deaths from Covid for the whole of the UK is 13*. When it comes to tests, the positivity rate has fallen from 30% in April (when only those sick enough to be admitted to hospital were tested) to around 0.6%.

* Last week, the death data for England was revised to remove those who died more than 28 days after testing positive. The way it worked previously was that someone could have tested positive in April, recovered and then died of something else in July and they would still be counted as a Covid death.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    So do you have to be tested as a contact of your Boss? And do you have to self isolate until you get your result? This is the way the European Health Authorities are doing it in work places if a worker tests positive. The idea is to stop a cluster in a workplace from spreading out into the community.
    None of us got tested. I think since it wasn't a outbreak in our office (nobody else got sick. We would had been told if somebody tested positive), we didn't quarantine ourselves. I know at my old job I left before I came to my current job, somebody downstairs tested positive. She was already at home when she got tested. They were told to go home for a few days while we upstairs stayed at work. We thought it was wrong (and also wrong they has offenders to come back to report. You don't know how much I was ready for my 2 weeks working there to end) since we would exit the building from their area and they come upstairs to use our bathroom (which I really don't understand since they got their own) and use our break room(again they have their own) and use our snack machine. Our big big boss told us we still had to come to work since their wasn't no outbreak. From what I heard nobody else got sick. I know our other secretary got sick and went home. I don't know if her test was positive or negative since i was gone.

Back to my current job. When I came into work that Monday, they were deep cleaning and spraying down our offices. He probably told the other guys (my other bosses I report to when he's not there) through either email or text. He had text the news.

His two weeks was up on Saturday. He supposed to come back to work tomorrow if his test is negative, but his wife also tested positive (which he probably got it from, but she had just been tested and it was negative) and he wants to be safe and not bring it work until her two weeks is up on Wednesday (and she supposed to have surgery on Wednesday and that's why he wasn't coming to work. He was going to be off on that day anyway. So he's coming back on Thursday and still work from home.

None of us in the office got sick since then. If it wasn't for us wearing a mask and he went straight home when he wasn't feeling well, we probably would had got it.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Glad to hear no one got sick shun. Unfortunately our zero covid patient Tally has came and went. We have 4 positives in house still very low..... I am worrying more and more about the kids going to school. They pushed the start date to Sept 8 and will be in a hybrid style of some days at school some days at home, alternating to keep at 50% capacity. I have to say the district is doing an amazing job preparing, but I just can’t see every kids abiding to the policies. You know how it is. Troublemakers and such. Plus my youngest is 8....how can they enforce 8 year olds to adhere to all the restrictions. Plus masks breaks how does that even work. My biggest fear is actually the bus....even with a monitor....I don’t know. Thinking of opting out of the bus. I have two days to decide if they are bused or not.

That is downright scary and just wrong, shun. Glad you are doing well and staying healthy. My mom went back to work this week at the school. A neighboring school has already been shut down and gone remote because of a COVID outbreak. I hope they are forced to go to remote learning, but not because she or anyone else there gets COVID! Although her school is so backwards that might just be what it takes to do it.

This year has sucked majorly for me. Not just because of the pandemic and the political climate, but my health has been absolute dogcrap. Speaking of dogs, when I broke my femur and fell, my dog got so excited to run down the stairs and see me after I was recovered enough for "visitors" in the basement on my airbed, that he ran down them too fast and tore his ACL. Then 3 weeks ago he tore his other one. Once you tear one there is a 50/50 the dog will tear the other. He's just had his 2nd TPLO surgery and he's having some setbacks. Couple that with my ongoing dead foot/nerve pain saga (the latest from St. Louis is I go for a brain, neck, and full spine MRI on Sept 17th, the soonest they can do it). Also, with my dad's company laying him off last year (his plant was shut down, but he was able to "retire" although much earlier than he would have liked and with far less benefits), I've been really just emotionally beaten to a pulp since the beginning of the year. I'm so sick of worrying, feeling down, not getting to play my guitar with friends, not being able to be mobile more than just short distances. I feel like I'm just about beat. My foot has kept me in a prison far longer than COVID. I've been dealing with this since early December and have been passed between doctors who can't figure it out before finally being sent to Washington University where I might get some answers. I'm just so worn out, I'm actually so tired of freaking out my body sometimes won't let me get nervous. It's like it tells me, no, your worrying component of your brain isn't working. Then I try to worry and can't because I'm so depleted. 2019 and 2020 have been some of the most trying years of my 31 years of life on this planet. Sure, that's not a lot by comparison, but I've been through far more than the majority of people my age. Only some of us my age get to experience it all so early or at all.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Austin, I'm sorry that you are having such a tough year and it's frustrating to not be able to help. other than to "listen" to you. I find the podcasts from Dr Michael Osterhome quite soothing. Partly, it's his voice but also the kindness and humility that is apparent. One thing he suggests is to view it as a "Covid year". I think he means that we just have to accept that it isn't normal and we won't achieve what we had planned. Instead we have to be kind to ourselves and other people. It will pass whether it's months or years. Of course, this doesn't help with your other medical problems but maybe there will be breakthrough with that. Keep hoping.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 08-22-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I agree UTW. One thing we can't do is lose hope. Hope is what is sustaining me right now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree on hope, Dreamer and UtW.

If people would just follow guidelines and wear the masks, social distance, and not cry about "muh freedum!" we'd be a heck of a lot better off. instead we have people thinking it's hysteria because the POTUS did.

Face it - this is the new normal, at least for the time being. You can help your fellow Americans and do the right thing and not be selfish or irresponsible, or you can cry about it while supporting whacked-out conspiracies and support a leader who has endangered many lives. It's that simple. And I'm not religious but god do I hope they choose to do the former. All we can do is hope for the best. It's a scary time folks...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Oh, you guys! Covid has hit home.

My oldest son, Aaron & his girlfriend , Alana, both have Covid-19. They live in Florida. Since he is a restaurant manager and she is a nurse, they knew it was inevitable. Florida is not exactly following the rules.
    They are quarantined at home. He is having all the symptoms
    and taking it day by day.He's 44, but he is still my baby and I'm so worried. I'm in California and just wish we were closer. I'm in contact with him everyday and am trying to stay positive for him and for us.
    Please keep them in your thoughts.