Page 45 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

Facebook decided yesterday I needed to re-follow a bunch of people I'd un-followed a long time ago. I found out from a post from my aunt (yep, I'm "friends" with a bunch of my relatives but don't follow them; hopefully some of you can relate) that my Dad's brother and his wife have been in the ICU because of COVID 19. At the time of her post, my uncle was being transferred out of ICU to a regular bed, but my aunt was still in the ICU. Since I'd sat at the same table with these two people six weeks ago at my nephew's wedding reception, I talked to my brother about it. They'd been diagnosed a week ago, so no threat from the wedding. (Yep, I took a risk going to the wedding, but it was very well done as far as social distancing. Wedding outside, rows far apart. Big round tables for the reception, only a few people at each table. But, if you want to know about my immediate family: At the reception I sat at a table with my aunt and uncle-the ones now in the hospital, my Dad and his wife, and another aunt-Dad's sister and uncle. I was the only one at the table with a mask. And yes, I wore it until we actually started eating.)

Gee, I wonder if Dad's sister is still planning her "We're all tired of this, let's have Thanksgiving together the Saturday after" party? (I wasn't planning on going anyway.)

Ohio's positivity rate is climbing. This is not good.

Seriously, people... wear the damn mask.

Navigating relatives can be a difficult trip, and avoiding them is sometimes the best option, (during a pandemic or otherwise)!

Seriously, I hope your kin are better soon, and everyone else remains healthy! Take Care!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

CAinOH, I hope your relatives recover well and that their friends an relatives now understand the importance of keep your distance and wearing a mask when you can't.

I don't yet know anyone who has been seriously ill with the virus which may just be an indication that I don't know that many people but also that live in an area with a relatively low rate of infection. However, the infection rate and positivity seem to be rising fast even here. To begin with it was just the university area but it has now spread to all parts of the city.

I was brought up short a few weeks ago when I caught a cold. If a cold can get through our protections, then coronavirus could. (We think my husband must have picked it up on a trip to the dentist, despite the measures taken by the dental practice). Then last week, we needed some emergency plumbing work and I realised I wasn't keeping sufficient distance from the plumber who was inside our house and without a mask for many hours (and I wasn't wearing a mask, either). It's too easy to fall into old habits with people we are familiar with.

I am rapidly losing faith in the UK government. After a too slow start and a few errors, they seemed to be following the science and doing their best. However, for the last few months, they seem to have switched to trying to balance health with the economy and are doing a bad job with both. For example, at the start of September they launched a campaign to encourage people to return to working in the office - and this is after scientists had been warning of an autumn surge. It was no big surprise when just three weeks later we were being advised again to work from home if possible.

Going back a few posts to concerns about Trump rushing through vaccines, I think you could look at what is happening in countries where the virus is less of a political issue. Possibly Canada and Germany? There's a different issue about whether there is a national bias over which vaccine to approve (the US press most reports on Moderna whereas the UK press reports on the Oxford/AstraZeneca one) but the regulatory bodies will be looking at all of the candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    CAinOH, I hope your relatives recover well and that their friends an relatives now understand the importance of keep your distance and wearing a mask when you can't.
    hoping for a speedy recovery as well CAINOH for your loved ones and anyone out there who is affected. I have the dilemma where my mom and in-laws keep wanting to get together, and what not. I don’t understand what they don’t understand. They are in their 70s, I miss them and want to see them too but I am so worried that I’ll get them sick! My dad understands, He has health issues and doesn’t want to tempt fate, but my Mom...she makes it hard. She says she misses the kids so much and it’s not fair. And I look like the bad guy. We had a get together in Aug for my kids birthday, My mom wanted one so bad, for the kids she’d say, but numbers were low in CT at the time, now numbers are climbing and I am getting really worried. Families can add another whole factor to this already stressful time!

I hope they recover soon CA and I'm glad you weren't affected. Mask wearing, social distancing, and avoiding unnecessary public socializing or trips is really the key. Curbside pickup and/or online is the way to go.

I personally haven't been to a restaurant to eat since all of this started. I did start getting takeout from a couple mom and pop type restaurants here about a couple months ago, but since have reverted since our local counties positive cases have been rising. I'm probably going to avoid it for the foreseeable future. And I've been doing online-only shopping since it started. I go to clinics and hospitals and that's about it these days. I know, not great places, but my health is not the best and I'm having test after test but I think they finally have a clue. And I can hopefully get surgery safely and then retreat back into my home for the next however long it is before a safe, non-politicized vaccine can be given and/or when people take mask wearing seriously. Hopefully, we will have a new president in November and one that does his job.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

CA - I hope you family members recover soon. Austin - I think what you have been doing is the safest thing for you - so glad to hear you and your family have remained safe.
    Well, my ex-governor(who left office with the lowest popularity rating ever) was just released from the hospital after spending 7 days in the ICU. He has severe asthma and is extremely overweight. Thankfully he is recovering. He attended the Rose Garden Ceremony for ACB and helped prep the Pres. for his first debate. No one wore masks and of course no social distancing.
    He stated he was led to believe everyone was tested daily and results were negative - SUPRISE - NOT TRUE ! Why he chose to believe the biggest liar ever to hold office is beyond me. I don't like the guy, did not vote for him and he was shitty governor who did nothing but, I don't wish him any harm and am glad is is doing better. And, I feel bad that he had to suffer in ICU with the virus before he realized the Pres. is a liar. He is urging everyone to wear a mask and stated he hopes more politicians come out urging the same thing.
    And, the Pres. is holding more of those super-spreader rallies ! It mad me so sad when I saw all those senor citizens not wearing a masking and crowded together. I just hope and pray that they don't get sick. He has not learned anything.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

We've had a week of it here. On Tuesday last my son had chest tightness associated with Asthma. They sent him for a precautionary test. That meant we all had to stay at home from work until Thursday afternoon when he got the allclear. Happy days! Then my hubby went for a mass test which all his department had to go for. That was Friday. Surprise on Sunday - he got the result and he tested POSITIVE. No symptoms, nothing. We immediately had to pull our daughter from her work and return home. We have to stay at home for 2 weeks. Only allowed out to go shopping. No work, school or college. The rest of us will have to take a test in the next few days to see if we too are positive. So it will be a very quiet 2 weeks here.

Not that its going to matter much anyway as the whole country will be going back into strict lockdown for the next 6 weeks anyway!!

Take care everyone!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Oh no, GA.

If I were you since he was positive, I'd have your son retested to make sure he didn't get the test too early on. I'm sure you will be getting tested to be cleared to go back anyways.

Best wishes to your family.

These are scary, dark times....
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks Austin, yes they will be sending us testing appointments even my son as the previous test was related to a different event. So far sso good nobody has shown any symptoms so we can hope if we do have it it is a mild infection. I stocked up today in preparation for lockdown.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Son and daughter tested negative but still have to self isolate until next weekend. I on the other hand tested positive. However I feel good enough so hopefully it will just be a mild infection. I too am on self isolation until Saturday week.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP