Page 50 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Corona Virus

Hang in there everyone and stay safe during the holidays. This holiday season is definitely going to suck for me and probably many of you as well. But, I'd rather it be a sucky holiday season than the last holiday season for me or one of my loved ones. Although the immediate future is bleak, I do think we have a glimmer of hope for next year.

Virtual to all my fellow Borderers.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I hope all you americans find a way to enjoy Thanksgiving safely. But meanwhile, perhaps it's time to start looking forward to gatherings next year.

There's more good news on the vaccine front. I will admit that when I saw the headlines this morning, I was disappointed. After reports of 94.5% and 95% efficacy for the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, 70% for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine wasn't what I was hoping for. It's fairly obvious which one is going to be offered here in the UK and I feel a bit like a second class citizen. However, the positive news about how it is comparatively easy to manufacture and distribute makes me feel better. I'd rather have 70% effective in March than have to wait until late 2021 for 95% and the quicker we are all vaccinated, the quicker we will reach herd immunity. A lot of emphasis is being put on how the low price and less difficult storage requirements mean that it will be easier for developing countries to use.

I offer my thanks to the scientists who have been working so hard to get us out of the current situation.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Hang in there everyone and stay safe during the holidays. This holiday season is definitely going to suck for me and probably many of you as well. But, I'd rather it be a sucky holiday season than the last holiday season for me or one of my loved ones. Although the immediate future is bleak, I do think we have a glimmer of hope for next year.

Virtual to all my fellow Borderers.
    I still hope you managed to celebrate in some way Dreamer. To be honest I am surprised to have seen on social media how many Americans travelled far and near and seemed to be oblivious to the safety advice. I hope your numbers don't go too high before Christmas. Hope fully next year will be better and our in person social gatherings can resume. In the meantime stay safe.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Our state is still not doing well and in particular our neighboring counties are really struggling. I see no end in sight until we have a working safe vaccine. Clearly people have shown they'd rather whine about freedom and hoaxes then do the right thing. So I'm just hoping those vaccines get here sooner rather than later and I will be first in line (or at least willing to be). I'm not going to have my life jeopardized by a bunch of dyed in the wool rednecks I unfortunately live around who spend too much time listening to themselves, QAnon, and the POTUS and not enough listening to the experts and caring about their fellow man.

I'm hopeful that after January 20th things will start to turn around and we will have an administration who takes this as seriously as it is. And hopefully our governor can do something about the cops who refuse to make the businesses and restaurants around here abide by the no-dine in rule and mask enforcement. Unfortunately they are apparently too hurt by the idea of a Biden win and the fact they won't have a president who supports systemic racism anymore and they are on Trump's side so they will not do their jobs and enforce the rules set forth by our great governor Pritzker. I'm sure it's just worse around here because of the location and the fact we are surrounded by so called good old boys and Barney Fife's and while systemic racism happens in big cities, it's especially prevalent in the country area we happen to live in. I have nothing against the country life, it's all I've known. But I'm not going to gloss over the bigots, racists, and backwards thinking individuals that are a part of said community. They sure seem to outnumber the good ones.

When Biden says he will tell everyone to wear masks for the first 100 days, I'm all on board with that. But I think we need to find a way to make our police enforce the stay at home/no dining in/mask requirements laid out by our governor and not just in Illinois but across the country. As I've said, I'm also on board with a 3 strikes you're out rule. First, a warning. Second, a fine. Third, time in the jail. Every offense after that is more and more jail time until they either learn to love their masks or learn to love their jail cell. It doesn't help that we are surrounded by vaccine conspiracy theorists and people who thinks a mask equals a muzzle. Come on, I know they aren't Harvard graduates but for the love of god figure out they are not the same! I think they DO know they aren't, but will still say so due to a political movement.

Please stay safe Border friends. I have a feeling December and January are going to be really rough. Wintertime is the worst for respiratory function anyway, and it will just be compounded by COVID and pneumonia. I am hunkering down and am still doing the "only get out for doctor appointments or hospital visits" routine. I had to have a surgical procedure on my ears a couple weeks ago and had to have a short general anesthestic but it was outpatient. I made it in and out without getting COVID. I was impressed by the hospital's handling of surgical patients and you went straight to the back and not a waiting room.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

BIG amen to that, Austin! Good idea to hunker down whenever possible, I'm doing the same. I'm feeling very hopeful about the vaccine and some proactive shifts in administration to get this thing under control. I got sick with it, presumably from work, back in April and I'm still getting fever spikes, horrid lingering effects on my asthma, and fatigue. One of those "long-haulers..." Be safe everyone, and take good care!

I just got tested for covid. Results negative. Hooray!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I just got tested for covid. Results negative. Hooray!
    Great news, Soda!💗

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Great news, Soda.

And EF - sorry you are still experiencing symptoms from COVID after all of this time.

Now, my niece has tested positive. Apparently, her two young boys attended an event with another family member and were infected there. The two boys are asymptomatic, but still passed it on to her. She has been pretty sick, but, hopefully, will recover soon.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Great news, Soda.

And EF - sorry you are still experiencing symptoms from COVID after all of this time.

Now, my niece has tested positive. Apparently, her two young boys attended an event with another family member and were infected there. The two boys are asymptomatic, but still passed it on to her. She has been pretty sick, but, hopefully, will recover soon.
    Oh No Dreamer ! I am so sorry to hear about your niece. Sending best wishes for her full recovery.

Great news Soda !

One of my sisters and I had a long talk about what to do for the Christmas holidays. She and two others sisters(and their families) live out of state. I have two others sisters who live here in NJ. She thinks we here in NJ should not travel to be with each other for Christmas because of the terrible serge in cases. I live alone so I don't want to spend Christmas alone. Obviously, I don't want to put myself or family members in danger. We have some big decisions to make in the coming weeks.........
    Stay safe my Border friends ! Wear a mask.

Wonderful news Soda!

So sorry to hear about your niece Dreamer. The long-term effects of COVID are very real as is a "late" reaction and you can become sick again and have pneumonia months down the road. Not to mention the blood clotting risk and others.

I'd wager to bet that COVID-19 is now the worst communicable respiratory virus, and probably 2nd worst communicable virus only beneath Ebola, especially in recent time (the last decade or two). It is NOT Influenza (Flu) or a cold (rhinovirus) or a Norovirus (what people call stomach flu but shares nothing with influenza). There are BSL-4 viruses that are worse, the only relevant one in that category being Ebola. God forbid we ever get that over here en masse. This virus is called novel because it's truly unlike anything we've seen. It has vague similarities to SARS from years past, but has far more components and pieces and is far more dangerous and more severe when you do get it. It's clinical name is either SARS-CoV-2 or Coronavirus disease-19 (COVID-19 or COVID for short). It's nothing like any other coronavirus in years past and I kind of have to think they should have given it a different name.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."