Page 40 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Corona Virus

It's certainly difficult when you are asked to work in potentially unsafe conditions. Is there provision for refusing to go into places where safety measures have not been taken?

I was thinking about the baseball competition and so long as it was out of doors, the risk of transmission was probably small. The biggest risk was probably in how people travelled to the event if they shared a confined space with people from different households. From what I've read, there has been little evidence of spikes caused by the BML protests whereas outbreaks are often traced back to crowded bars.

What seems to be missing is good, detailed and nuanced information on how the virus spreads and which measures are most effective. That would allow everyone to understand their own risk and what they can do.

Stuck on the Border

Hi UTW - Hope you and your family are doing well. As per our Baseball season, there will be no fans attending any of the games. My local teams - the Mets and Yankees are giving fans a chance to send/buy a cut out picture of themselves which will be displayed in the background of all home games. Basketball will also be played without fans at Disney World in Orlando,Fla. at a sports complex. I have not heard if the US Open(Tennis) is still on. The powers that be have not yet decided if College Football will be played.

JMHO but I feel there is no good, detailed and nuanced information on how the virus spreads because we have not received any guidance from our President. He likes to think it will just disappear. Everything has been left to the Governors of each state. My Governor here in NJ has been great and has done a wonderful job. As have NY Governor Cuomo and the Gov. of Conn.(sorry I forgot his name). I personally can not say the same thing for many of the governors down South. They opened too soon and now have huge cases of the virus.

Our State is currently working on a plan to open the schools with the social distance/mask guidelines. The Governor has given parents who don't want to send their kids to school the option for on-line schooling. A lot of difficult decisions to be made for everyone.

Stuck on the Border

Hi NKIT, we're all doing well. I was going to write that it feels strange to have my adult sons back home but that isn't true. It's more like when they came home from university. At first, I found it hard to have three other people working from home when I was used to being on my own but I've moved a desk into my bedroom and I can work without anyone speaking to me or on the phone.

I try to keep up on the news from the US as well as the UK and Europe. At the moment, the US situation seems quite scary but it's reassuring that there are some states that seem to be coping well. I haven't seen much of the NJ governor but earlier on, I used to watch briefings by Andrew Cuomo and they seemed fairly good and it sharp contrast to the ones from the WH. I find the scenes from Portland quite disturbing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    It's certainly difficult when you are asked to work in potentially unsafe conditions. Is there provision for refusing to go into places where safety measures have not been taken?

I was thinking about the baseball competition and so long as it was out of doors, the risk of transmission was probably small. The biggest risk was probably in how people travelled to the event if they shared a confined space with people from different households. From what I've read, there has been little evidence of spikes caused by the BML protests whereas outbreaks are often traced back to crowded bars.

What seems to be missing is good, detailed and nuanced information on how the virus spreads and which measures are most effective. That would allow everyone to understand their own risk and what they can do.
    There is no provisions, no. We live in Redneckville USA and the administrators are all for not wearing masks or not enforcing the state's guidelines set out by our great Governor Pritzker. That's what makes my mom irate and worried all in one. So while she will be following guidelines to a T, she's afraid the staff and students won't be doing the same. She has to work one on one with little kids to give tests and tends to need to be in close quarters with them in her office. It's very concerning for me and for my dad. My mom isn't so much worried about herself as she is us, and it's just the opposite for me. I worry about HER.

Clear information would be nice but efforts in that regard are often thwarted or attempt to be made vague at least here in the US because of the sitting president and his "team". A deadly virus has been politicized.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I feel the same way as you and your Mom, Austin.

I get really pissed because I have been sacrificing and following all the guidelines for months now. But, yet, things just continue to get worse in this country because of the way this virus has been mismanaged. IMO, it's a combination of extremely poor leadership and ignorance and/or just plain selfishness of those who can't be bothered to change their lifestyle during a public health crisis in order to protect our society.

And then, I get really sad when I think about all the lives that have been lost or debilitated that could have been prevented. This is not a shining moment for the U.S. as the rest of the world just sits back scratching their heads about the mess we're in here. God Bless us all!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The news is not good in Louisiana. We have the highest per capita cases in the country. And my sweet young neighbor passed away from covid after only a week or so. Having to work through this mess while caring for my elderly mom with dementia is a scary, stressful thing. This is real, y'all. Too real.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

I’m so sorry to hear all that FF. Very sad and it’s hard to stay positive. I wish you the strength to get through it all. When it was real bad in CT I felt very down, it was hard coming to work, but CT has been doing well this last month, so there is hope. I know we are not out of the woodwork yet, and still worry that people are getting lax, and worry about kids going to school as well,Walshfan88.... It has so many variables, I don’t see it being a success unfortunately. It angers me that now they are saying “oh kids don’t get as affected and they won’t carry it” WTH? What sense does that make. Fountains of misinformation....Please wear a mask, disinfect, gloves etc. don’t slack!

Stuck on the Border

Freyfollower, I'm sorry that the situation is bad in Louisiana and that you have lost your neighbour to this disease.

It's tricky with countries and areas being at different stages of this pandemic. When infections and deaths are falling, we don't want to make a big deal about it because it might seem to people in areas with rising rates that we're rubbing their noses in it. There's also that we're always just a week or two from a reversal.

After a dreadful start, in England, it looked like it was under control but it seems that rates have started to rise over the last few weeks. It's being suggested that we've reached the limit of how far the country can reopen and this is before schools return. It seems likely we will need to introduce further restrictions in the hope that this will allow some headroom for schools that should be opening in around four weeks. Scotland and Wales look to be in a slightly better position probably because they have been slower to relax restrictions. As Scottish schools start back in mid-August, I'm sure their infection rates will be closely monitored.

The good news is that the work on the vaccines seems to be going well.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    The news is not good in Louisiana. We have the highest per capita cases in the country. And my sweet young neighbor passed away from covid after only a week or so. Having to work through this mess while caring for my elderly mom with dementia is a scary, stressful thing. This is real, y'all. Too real.
    FF - I am so sorry to hear of the death of your neighbor, and all the cases in La. The entire South is getting hit hard. People need to realize this virus is real and can kill and/or affect someone for the rest of their life. Now they are saying studies from Europe show that even people who had a mild case show the virus has affected their heart muscles. And, now doctors are saying kids as young as five have something like ten times more nasal secretions than adults and can pass the virus on to others.

My poor little great-nephew turned five and is all excited about being a big boy and going to kindergarden. Now, he may have to do schooling from home. Our governor has not yet decided what he wants the schools to do. It is such a difficult decision.
    I just don't get why people think it is against their constitutional rights to wear a mask. Those people piss me off so much ! It has been against the law here to not wear a mask. Now the state legislature passed a law stating no mask in public and a person could get 30 days jail and a $500 fine. However, from what I have seen most people compliant.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FF - I, too, am sorry to hear about your neighbor.

The bottom line is the entire issue over wearing masks is another manufactured divisive political tactic designed to divert our attention away from the reality of this debacle. It is beyond the absurd and ridiculous. If someone had told me four or five years ago that this country would be where we are today, I would have told them they were crazy. But, it just proves, how fragile our society really is. The lesson for me is that we should never take our liberties and institutions for granted - even though I always knew that, what I didn't realize is how quickly things can deteriorate.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016