Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Corona Virus

I haven't been able to access this site for the last week, so it's good to see you all again and hear that you are ok.

With typical luck (or lack of foresight) we lost our broadband a week ago. The ISP expects to restore it on Friday. My son has just set us up on 5G.

In the UK, we are now on lockdown. We're allowed out once a day for exercise and to buy essentials. When I looked this morning, there were 17 confirmed cases in out small city (population approx 80k) but the total must be much higher. So far, two people from work have reported symptoms out of 70. Both are young and without known medical conditions. The colleague who is on immuno-suppressant drugs has been self-isolating for more than a week and he's pretty strict. I've been very careful, too, as I have asthma.

Yesterday, I was shocked to hear that a new hospital with two wards each able to take 2,000 patients will open in London next week. That really brought it home. This is serious. Most of the US has the advantage of being slightly behind the curve but it's coming.

On the positive side, both my sons have come home. We are all able to work from home - subject to availability of internet - and the house is big enough so that it doesn't feel crowded. At Christmas, one son gave the other a board gamed called Pandemic. We haven't felt like playing it.

This is bad but there are positives. With everyone staying at home, we are consuming less and that reduces pollution and global warming. We also learn what is important to us. I had to cancel a holiday, but so what? I understand that our children and possibly their children will be paying for this but to put it in perspective, a few years ago War Bonds for the the 1914-18 war finally redeemed. My son said that we are still paying for the Napoleonic Wars, though I'm not yet convinced.

Even if the US government has been slow to act, US technology firms are in the forefront of managing and treating this pandemic and hopefully the US can learn from Asia and Europe.

Stuck on the Border

Hi UTW - I am so happy to hear you are doing well. My home state of NJ has been hit particularly hard. I also have asthma. I am doing well but stir crazy. Here in NJ we are on strict lock down. We are only allowed out to go to the grocery store, the pharmacy, the bank, and a gas station. Our Governor Phil Murphy has done an amazing job thus far in dealing with all of this. Sending best wishing to you and your family! Take care !

And now it's confirmed the US has the most cases of novel CV. We've passed China and Italy. It sounds like the WHO will be announcing soon that the US is now the epicenter for CV.

Scary, scary times ahead.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...8472d563a19837
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh I hope not Austin. No one really knows what will happen, so I tend to lean towards (mild) optimism.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Ireland has finally gone on lockdown tonight. We are only to leave home if we are an essential worker (Hubby), to go for food shopping, for medical appointments and to take exercise within 2km of the home.
    This is for 2 weeks till easter Sunday after which there will be a review.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh I hope not Austin. No one really knows what will happen, so I tend to lean towards (mild) optimism.
    Oh I hope not too! But I'm not a optimist or pessimist. I try to be a realist whenever possible. I tend to go along with whatever is happening at the moment with the given data for the day. If it looks bad, I'll be mentally preparing for it. If it looks better I'll be hopeful but I won't get my hopes up to the point of being unrealistic or be set up for disappointment. I think you have to take it day by day and look at the news.

Looking at the stats and the numbers of daily cases, one can only worry about the future. I think bracing for impact is the right thing here. Those still denying it and calling it hysteria or overblown are the people who need help, and hopefully will wake up and smell the coffee. It's a very real, very widespread problem. If testing availability was as it should be, we would probably be gobsmacked by the numbers of cases. And now doctors, nurses, etc are dying from this. It's truly more than a pandemic - it's a crisis and a very real threat to human life. I'm hoping that at the end of this we will band together and realize we are all human. This virus doesn't care if you are christian or atheist, gay or straight, black or white, democrat or republican, woman or man, old or young, USA or elsewhere, etc. It's the human race against one enemy.

It came out today that the US is now the epicenter for COVID-19. Every day we set a new record for deaths in this country. I have a very real reason to be afraid. And if everyone would willingly go along with isolation, social distancing, and self-quarantine we could be in a better spot. We have to be on lockdown. I think it's going to take an enforced curfew to get some people to stay the hell home. I see it happening!

Our governor (IL) today said this is the biggest crisis in his lifetime. He said in a printed release that those that don't obey his stay-at-home/shelter-in-place executive order and are gathering in groups regardless and still going to parties are spitting in the face of the healthcare workers on the front lines. While it sounds harsh, I fully support Gov. Pritzker's comments. He's been far more responsive than our own POTUS, which is just sad honestly.

Yes - hope for the best, but don't be unprepared and be ready. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and prepare for it to get worse before it gets better. Brace for impact and just hunker down and stay safe.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 03-27-2020 at 10:10 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Joe Diffie (country singer) has now died. John Prine (folk singer) is in critical condition on a ventilator.

This is getting more scary every day. One can only hope/pray/wish for things to make a change for the better as soon as possible.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

This is getting scary. I really pray this will be over sooner rather than later. Mark Blum who was in the movies Desperately Seeking Susan, Blind Date, and Crocodile Dundee died last week. HE had asthma. So he was at high risk.

But I think of Tom Hanks (who is a diabetic), his wife Rita (who is a cancer survivor), Jackson Browne and many others who have recovered. There is hope.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 03-29-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Alan Merrill, composer of "I Love Rock n Roll" (one of Joan Jett's signature songs) has died from coronavirus.

https://ew.com/music/i-love-rock-n-r...y-coronavirus/

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

and now John Prine is in critical condition