Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Corona Virus

We have been back in lockdown since Tuesday. I'm glad because last weekend, I realised I was becoming anxious again. I could see the trends of infections, hospital admissions and deaths and so far the only effective ways of reducing these have been lockdowns and summer. It still means we have at least another week before we might see any effect. I suspect that things are worse than we are being told. There is anecdotal evidence that the people being admitted to hospital are younger and sicker than in the first wave, often with no underlying conditions. This new variant emerged in the south east of England, but it seems to be spreading quickly across the country.

Where I live, the case rates have doubled in the last week with a rate of 356 per 100,000 for the week to 4th January and we are well below the national average. A recent survey suggested that in the UK as a whole, 1 in 50 currently has the virus and in London, it's as high as 1 in 30. What's scary is those numbers are for the week to 2nd January so today, the rates are likely to be much higher. (These numbers come from randomised sampling of the population by our national statistics body).

I know two people who have been vaccinated, both health care workers in London. Vaccinations have started locally. The current plan is to have given the first dose to everyone over 70, healthcare workers and those who are extremely clinically vulnerable by mid-February. After that, it's those aged 65-70, and then the biggest group (which includes me) of those aged 16-64 with underlying medical conditions which makes them more vulnerable to serious illness with Covid.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It looks like here in the U.S. we have dug ourselves a hole so deep that it will take months before we begin to see any decline in the number of cases. I remember in the fall I was thinking that we may have the spread somewhat contained and a lot of our population vaccinated by spring, but that is very doubtful at this point. I hold out hope that the new incoming administration will have the federal government much more involved in trying to get this thing under control.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

The figures of ill and deceased people seems to be rising exponentially all over the world. We relaxed restrictions for December and are now paying the price with infected figures skyrocketing and deaths on the increase too sadly. We have locked down again at the highest level and the schools are once again closed with us delivering the curriculum remotely. The weather is not as good as it was last time it happened, but I suppose the days will start to get longer soon. The restrictions will be reviewed on 1st February.
    The vaccine of course is here but as expected the elderly, the ill and the healthcare workers are being prioritised as is only right. Hopefully it will bring a halt to the progress of the disease. At least the lockdown means that people's contacts are right down to their immediate househplds now.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

We have to do better in the US in regards to vaccine distribution, buying enough doses for both initial and booster shots, and killing any and all myths perpetuated by cult-like conspiracy groups that are putting people in danger and getting everyone vaccinated. While I do still believe it's a personal choice - I do strongly feel that if you decide to not take the shot, it wasn't because someone or some group told you there was a 5G microchip in it or that somehow Bill Gates is "hell bent for leather" on making us all sick.

I think the new strain complicates things tremendously. However, I do believe the vaccines are showing good coverage with the new strain. The problem is - for those unvaccinated, this new strain seems to be far more communicable than the first COVID-19 virus. It's not any worse in terms of symptomatology or treating it, but it's far easier to catch and far easier to pass on. Exactly what we didn't need right now trying to get this contained! We know we can't count on everyone to do the right thing, so we just need vaccinations and enforcements on public events to try to contain this. I'm confident that the new administration that starts next Wednesday will be able to "right" this ship soon.

My mother, being considered a frontline/essential worker at a school, got her first Moderna vaccine last week and gets her booster in 3 weeks. She said the health department told her I would be next on the list to get it behind the essential workers and 65+ crowd. So when the next phase is rolled out, I should be able to go and get one from them also and get the booster thereafter. The good news is that my dad is retired and doesn't go anywhere. And with mom getting this shot, she shouldn't be able to bring it home to me, who wouldn't fare so well. She's very careful and keeps a routine for changing clothes as soon as she comes home and taking a shower and watching for symptoms. I'll feel better after she gets her booster shot but with the rest of us not going anywhere that isn't essential like appointments, etc I'm hoping that we can continue to stay COVID-free. I had to make another trip to Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis for another MRI last week, and so far I have no symptoms. I wore an N95 and bathed in Purell before and after.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    We have to do better in the US in regards to vaccine distribution, buying enough doses for both initial and booster shots, and killing any and all myths perpetuated by cult-like conspiracy groups that are putting people in danger and getting everyone vaccinated. While I do still believe it's a personal choice - I do strongly feel that if you decide to not take the shot, it wasn't because someone or some group told you there was a 5G microchip in it or that somehow Bill Gates is "hell bent for leather" on making us all sick.
    Agree on all counts there Austin. The major problem is that there is a worldwide shortage of the vaccine so every country has to wait its turn while it is being rationed out.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Well I had my second dose of Moderna Friday morning. I Never have had any reactions to a vaccine prior, so I didn't hesitate to get it even though I was scheduled to work 3 nights in a row afterwards. Well, friday, I just felt really tired (but I worked night before nothing new)t, but nothing crazy until about 9 that night I got joint pain, back pain, headache and nausea (Never actually threw up though), and felt so cold. I still went to work, and suffered throughout my shift. It was horrible! I slept all day Saturday, and by evening symptoms weakened, I called out this time, and now Sunday i still feel tired and in a fog, but all other symptoms are gone.

They say that shows immune response and I know it's a good thing but it was so yucky. Several other co-workers complained of similar things, yet others said just tired and a sore arm. So who knows. As they say, everyone is different.

I just wanted to let you guys know to be prepared just in case you might experience what I did. Don't schedule it when you have to work next day or two if possible to be safe. Have ibuprofen or Tylenol on hand and rest. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up KW! I'm glad you are feeling better. I felt a bit fluey for a day after the swine flu vax 10 years ago. I think we are going to be given the astrazenaca vaccine.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks from me too, KW. I am struggling to get any information about getting the vaccine. I signed up about 3 weeks ago with my county health department to get on the list to make an appointment. At the time, I was told I would get an email in about a week. I've heard nothing, and there are no updates on the website. Finally, after a week of trying to get through to our COVID hotline, I got through today. But, it was useless - they still did not tell me anything other than I will get an email when I am able to make an appointment - but, they couldn't even give me an idea of how long it will be.

VERY FRUSTRATING! Hopefully, they will have this worked out within the next few weeks.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks from me too, KW. I am struggling to get any information about getting the vaccine. I signed up about 3 weeks ago with my county health department to get on the list to make an appointment. At the time, I was told I would get an email in about a week. I've heard nothing, and there are no updates on the website. Finally, after a week of trying to get through to our COVID hotline, I got through today. But, it was useless - they still did not tell me anything other than I will get an email when I am able to make an appointment - but, they couldn't even give me an idea of how long it will be.

VERY FRUSTRATING! Hopefully, they will have this worked out within the next few weeks.
    Dreamer - Same here. I got an email saying I was registered but there are no vaccines available. I was told they will email me when a vaccine is available. I also registered at a second site which said the same thing. Thank God Pres. Biden signed an Executive Order to put the Defense Act in Place. That should help speed up the manf. of the vaccine.

KW - My nephew's wife works in a hospital and is a Therapist and, she pretty much had the same reaction as you to her second dose. She had the reaction about 12 hours after the dose. It lasted for about a day and she has been fine since then.

NKIT, ya it was about 12 hours reactions started. I am fine now. I am sorry you and Dreamer are having difficulty getting the vaccine. CT is doing well from what I hear, understaffed on the hotline at first, but I think are starting to see supply and demand issues now. Hopefully things will iron out for you all.