Page 36 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Corona Virus

LT and dreamer, good news!

Prayers for continued recovery.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Thank you for the updates. I hope they all continue to improve.

As the numbers increase, I start to feel more detached and so connections like this help to make it feel more real. (I'm not sure that makes sense)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

LT praying for your nieces continued recovery and Dreamer I am so glad your family has cracked it and that all is well with them.

We now have very few indigenous cases and last week the health officials were saying that anyone would only have a 1 in a million chance of picking it up in the community which is good news. Infections are only barely in double figures and daily deaths you can now count on one hand, some days there are no deaths recorded.
    We are very slowly starting to reopen with masks, social distancing in stores, low capacities in restaurants and rigid regulations around haior dressing, barbers etc. Only this week we have been allowed to travel outside our own counties to other parts of the country.
    The big thing now is keeping numbers low. And this means not travelling yet to other countries and if you do self isolating for two weeks when you get back again. Already we have a cluster in the North West of the country where a guy who travelled to the Middle east picked it up on his travels and spread it ot his family.
    The big thing here is that many families in Ireland would have booked their annual 2 week holiday to warmer places like Spain, the Canary islands or Portugal. These holidays could have been booked before Christmas last year but the Government is still advising against any travel outside the country and are encouraging a staycation in the country this year. People are worried about losing the money they paid for these holidays, but equally the Public Health system is worried about importing the virus again. Many people gave up jobs, freedom, sport, music, travel, St Patricks Day and much of their normal life to get us to where we are today and don't want irresponsible actions to bring in a second wave.

I heard Mr Trump on the radio this morning. He says the States is 'doin great' and that he is hoping the virus will just 'disappear'. I'd love to have his confidence!!
    (IMHO he should lock the entire USA down before the 4th of July if he wants this to happen.)
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Dayton (Ohio) passed an ordinance last night that mask wearing is mandatory! Yay! That makes two areas around here where you must wear a mask. It would never happen in Xenia. Never.

And where are these people getting their information that mask wearing is "ineffective" and useless? I am so sick of seeing those posts on Facebook. The experts say otherwise.

I'm still wearing my mask.

My city has made it mandatory to wear a mask in public. Of course my state still hasn't done it, but the governor is just preaching to the choir. Nobody is going to listen and we are going to continue to have high numbers because stupid people won't wear a mask.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

There are some really interesting podcasts by an infectious disease epidemiologist.
    https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/...ars/episode-14

What I took from the one I've just listened to was that we need to get as much good information on the risks as we can so we can make our own decisions based on those risks to ourselves and other people. In particular, the viral load which is affected by how close you are, for how long and whether it is in or out doors.

What I found disturbing was when he talked about resurgences, specifically mentioning countries such as New Zealand and Australia. We are not going to be able to get rid of this until we reach herd immunity either through a vaccine or by us all getting it eventually. Here was I in my optimistic bubble looking at the low number of cases locally.

In England, from 10th July, we will be able to visit and return from a long list of countries without having to quarantine. Visitors from the US will be required to quarantine for 14 days.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-03-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Dreamer - So happy to hear that your SIL, brother and family have recovered. It certainly was a long haul. Wishing them all well.
    LT -Wonderful news about your niece ! Sending prayer and well wishes for a full recovery.

We have had to wear masks since appx March 21st. Most people are compliant but a few jerks still refuse to wear a mask. Listen to Dr. Fausci ! He speaks to truth.

Stuck on the Border

How are you all in the USA?

I've been reading too many news reports (including from the US) and I'm beginning to feel they are not an accurate representation of the situation. The important information is buried amongst all the complaints about masks and Trump's denial. The UK press are almost as bad.

After reading and listening to as much of the scientific reports as I can tolerate, this is what I think the important messages are:

- outside is much, much better than inside (so when you see pictures of crowded beaches or streets that's much less worrying than pictures of crowded bars)
    - keeping your distance is more important than masks - wear a mask if you are somewhere where you can't keep your distance
    - the length of time you are exposed to the virus is also important - walking by someone with the infection is much less risky than sitting in the same room for several hours.

It may be too early for official statements, but it's becoming clear that around half of all UK Covid deaths have been in care homes. Worse still, we have learned that between mid-March and mid-April, 25,000 patients were transferred to care homes without testing. While the general public were on lockdown, there was a direct route for transmission from the places with the highest infection rates to the most vulnerable communities. The transfer was in response to a government directive intended to clear hospital beds in preparation for a deluge of Covid cases. Because of a lack of testing capacity, only those with symptoms were tested on the assumption that asymptomatic people were not infectious.

In our local area, 50 out of 90 Covid deaths have been in care homes. A news report from a month ago reported that 9 infected patients had been transferred from the hospital to local care homes. Looking at the the hotspots in the city, it's likely that about 30 of these were in the two care homes that my father-in-law and uncle-in-law were in as they both provide nursing care. These are not cheap, badly-run homes with poorly-trained, careless staff.

This has turned into a bit of a rant. I'm feeling so cross about everything.

LT - how scary! I'm praying for your niece. When you have time, please keep us updated.

Dreamer - so glad your family continues to improve.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    How are you all in the USA?

I've been reading too many news reports (including from the US) and I'm beginning to feel they are not an accurate representation of the situation. The important information is buried amongst all the complaints about masks and Trump's denial. The UK press are almost as bad.

After reading and listening to as much of the scientific reports as I can tolerate, this is what I think the important messages are:

- outside is much, much better than inside (so when you see pictures of crowded beaches or streets that's much less worrying than pictures of crowded bars)
    - keeping your distance is more important than masks - wear a mask if you are somewhere where you can't keep your distance
    - the length of time you are exposed to the virus is also important - walking by someone with the infection is much less risky than sitting in the same room for several hours.

It may be too early for official statements, but it's becoming clear that around half of all UK Covid deaths have been in care homes. Worse still, we have learned that between mid-March and mid-April, 25,000 patients were transferred to care homes without testing. While the general public were on lockdown, there was a direct route for transmission from the places with the highest infection rates to the most vulnerable communities. The transfer was in response to a government directive intended to clear hospital beds in preparation for a deluge of Covid cases. Because of a lack of testing capacity, only those with symptoms were tested on the assumption that asymptomatic people were not infectious.

In our local area, 50 out of 90 Covid deaths have been in care homes. A news report from a month ago reported that 9 infected patients had been transferred from the hospital to local care homes. Looking at the the hotspots in the city, it's likely that about 30 of these were in the two care homes that my father-in-law and uncle-in-law were in as they both provide nursing care. These are not cheap, badly-run homes with poorly-trained, careless staff.

This has turned into a bit of a rant. I'm feeling so cross about everything.
    It's hard to say how things are going. I just came from a long visit to Houston and returned to Mississippi, both areas which are experiencing more cases than previously. And yet, at least in Kingwood where my parents live, there was a sense of "Whatever" by many. Houston has started requiring masks in public, but the enforcement in Kingwood was nil. I walked into the local HEB grocery store and while they were policing at the door, once inside, I saw many people slipping the masks down freely. The Kingwood HEB is quite large and it was thronging with literally over 200 people at midday. I would say about 75% of the adults wearing masks and of those, only about 50% were wearing masks that covered their noses. Yet, when I look at the figures for the Houston area, the Kingwood area figures are much lower than the downtown urban areas. An attitude of some of the younger people seems to be "let's just catch it and get it over with" and indeed, in Houston at least, the deaths and ICU cases are smaller than one would expect (thank God). They've had 2700 deaths attributed to covid in a state of 29 million people. It's upsetting to have even one death, and numbers mean nothing if it's you or your loved one that's dying! Still, it's lower by far than what was projected, and it doesn't seem to be rising sharply with the cases.

Same for Mississippi. We've have 1100 deaths in a state of 3 million. Still too many, but still far less than projected. Funny enough, although masks aren't required here in my town (they are in other Mississippi towns), I see more people wearing them in my local store. Maybe the law requiring them pissed people off in some areas of Houston, and they started rebelling? Who knows. But it seems masks only help so much, and proximity to the sick is the real issue.

Not that any of us want to get it, even if we do get better! I certainly don't. I've been having trouble breathing for the past few weeks (not covid type thing but something else). I think I might have developed adult onset asthma but I'm loath to go to doctor right now. It's gotten back enough that I will, though - this week, I think. At any rate, I figure I am "high risk" now.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten