Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The death count has now reached 300 in the United States per CNN. It's very scary and something I never thought I'd see happen in my lifetime.

It showed a massive unpreparedness on the part of the US government and a lack of responsibility of some out there. There's been pictures floating around of different beaches and the young kids were still doing spring break standing right next to one another. It's just sad. I'm normally about as "anti-boomer" as one gets, but that was just dumb on the part of the younger adults/teens and was not at all smart to do.

I'm just thankful it isn't Ebola virus/hemorrhagic fever. I dread to think of what the death count would be up to then as Ebola is even more untreatable and most don't survive it. It's something we need to be super careful about. But I never thought I'd see a pandemic with mandatory quarantine in my lifetime. I was wrong, obviously. I've actually watched movies that are a little too close to reality right now for my liking.
    I agree, Austin. I never thought in a million years something like this would happen. All my life when I hear deadly diseases popping up and killing people in other parts of the world, I pray it would never come this way. It came very close with Ebola, but thank goodness it didn't spread. We will get through this. Its going to be a long couple of months. I don't see this ending anytime soon.

As for those younger adults in Florida on the beach and just didn't care. I really hope none of them are from my state. Somebody from that group might have it.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

So I have been working my butt off this past week, spending hours and hours each day trying to convert all my courses to online mode since my college has announced that they're going online for the rest of the semester. They made the faculty come on to campus at first to do our course conversions during an extended spring break, but on Thursday, they finally allowed us to work from home. After long hours, I'm ready for the first week which starts Monday, and we'll take it week by week from there. This is going to be so much more work, but I'm grateful that I'll still have my salary and won't be impacted financially like some. I feel so bad for my students, especially my seniors, and all they will be missing out on. There won't be any graduation ceremony, for instance. And the education majors who needed to student teach this semester in order to graduate on time are screwed. The list goes on and on.

Cases reported in Memphis and Tupelo, but none where I am... yet.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow, that’s a lot to take on. The ripple effect is unreal. My husbands hours are cut but will be paid as usual. Thank God. But he is so consumed with this and very stressed out 😰. On break at work, since they cancelled non emergent surgeries, it is very slow, and hardly anyone in E.R. It is so strange, I never thought I’d see something like this. Luckily I am in a rural area too and can venture out in my yard and such.

Walshfan88, it truly does seem like something out of the movies.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So I have been working my butt off this past week, spending hours and hours each day trying to convert all my courses to online mode since my college has announced that they're going online for the rest of the semester. They made the faculty come on to campus at first to do our course conversions during an extended spring break, but on Thursday, they finally allowed us to work from home. After long hours, I'm ready for the first week which starts Monday, and we'll take it week by week from there. This is going to be so much more work, but I'm grateful that I'll still have my salary and won't be impacted financially like some. I feel so bad for my students, especially my seniors, and all they will be missing out on. There won't be any graduation ceremony, for instance. And the education majors who needed to student teach this semester in order to graduate on time are screwed. The list goes on and on.

Cases reported in Memphis and Tupelo, but none where I am... yet.
    Soda - I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. All the colleges here have cancelled classes for the rest of the year(all online) and there will be no graduations. I feel so sorry for all the kids who after four years of hard work cannot have their graduation ceremony but the health and safety of everyone is more important. Normally, most of the college graduations are held in stadiums like Rutgers and Giants Stadium. No way you can put all those people together.
    We are on official lock down as of yesterday. We are only supposed to go out to go to the grocery store, get gas, go to the bank and a pharmacy. We can get outside to walk in our neighborhood but that's it. I have to say our Governor Phil Murphy has done a great job in dealing with all of this. Andrew Cuomo has also done a great job and, he and Murphy have been coor. things so both states have the same guideline. It is nice here today(the weather has been beautiful) and I will take a walk around my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Soda - I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. All the colleges here have cancelled classes for the rest of the year(all online) and there will be no graduations. I feel so sorry for all the kids who after four years of hard work cannot have their graduation ceremony but the health and safety of everyone is more important. Normally, most of the college graduations are held in stadiums like Rutgers and Giants Stadium. No way you can put all those people together.
    We are on official lock down as of yesterday. We are only supposed to go out to go to the grocery store, get gas, go to the bank and a pharmacy. We can get outside to walk in our neighborhood but that's it. I have to say our Governor Phil Murphy has done a great job in dealing with all of this. Andrew Cuomo has also done a great job and, he and Murphy have been coor. things so both states have the same guideline. It is nice here today(the weather has been beautiful) and I will take a walk around my neighborhood.
    Unlike New Jersey, Mississippi was one of the last hit, so we still had a lot of people doing "business as usual" right up until the case was announced in Tupelo on Thursday. There wasn't panic buying (good) and there were still a lot of people out and about, running errands and living life as usual (not so good). Churches only closed at the request of the governor. Now, however, more people are staying home out of their own free will. I haven't left the apartment complex since Wednesday afternoon after returning home from work, although I'm thinking of getting some take-out today. I want to support the restaurants, and that seems reasonably safe.

I had a student email me yesterday, wanting to meet on campus Monday to pick up some of her graded work. I'm unsure what to tell her.... does she think we are all still up there?

New Jersey is so much worse off - I heard about a family there who lost several members. So tragic. A forced lock down is pretty intense, but understandable. I hope you are staying safe!

Indeed, I hope all of the Borderers are staying safe. Whether it's living in high risk areas, being in high risk age groups, having underlying conditions, or just worrying about carrying it to others, we all know by now that we have reason to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Wow, that’s a lot to take on. The ripple effect is unreal. My husbands hours are cut but will be paid as usual. Thank God. But he is so consumed with this and very stressed out 😰. On break at work, since they cancelled non emergent surgeries, it is very slow, and hardly anyone in E.R. It is so strange, I never thought I’d see something like this. Luckily I am in a rural area too and can venture out in my yard and such.

Walshfan88, it truly does seem like something out of the movies.
    I never thought about the fact that there would be fewer accidents and people in the E.R. now. Wow. It really is like an alternate reality, or movie, as Austin says....

I heard the concern about rural areas is that when it does hit, it will take a lot fewer cases to overwhelm the hospitals since they are smaller, less well-equipped, and further apart.

A woman in our church had a teenage son who had been hospitalized in Memphis with a serious heart problem for over a year. He'd gotten a heart transplant a few months ago, but his body was not accepting it well. He finally passed away Friday. I wondered if it had something to do with the virus, but nothing has been said. It made me wonder about the people in hospitals suffering from other ailments, though, and risks to them.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan
    Personally I will be staying home for the foreseeable future. I will be making the trek to St. Louis soon for my health (which is another can of worms but needs to be done as I can't move my right foot), but I won't lie that I will be taking every measure possible to stay as hygienic and clean as possible.
    Austin, I can see why you are concerned about going in for a visit to somewhere even for your health, but if you need to see a doctor... just be careful. Sounds like you've got that under control, though.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx
    As for those younger adults in Florida on the beach and just didn't care. I really hope none of them are from my state. Somebody from that group might have it.
    I saw one of those girls interviewed yesterday as a follow-up; she'd been caught on the news at the beach a few days ago saying "I don't care about this virus! I just want to get drunk and party!" She was really defensive and tried to play it off like she hadn't really meant what she said at the time. I thought, "Just apologize, girl! Most of us underestimated this."

Soda. Stay safe up there. We now have 20 cases in my county. We're the highest along with DeSoto, Harrison, Forrest, and Pearl River. I think our governor needs to do something quick. We are now at 207. I don't even want to know what our numbers will be tomorrow. We will be at 300 in two days the way its going. Its time to get serious and do a lockdown.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Ohio goes under a "stay at home" order Tuesday at midnight. It's so open-ended, though, as to who works or not, and where you can go. I'll definitely be at work tomorrow... not sure what happens after that, but we've already got a directive from the Secretary of State we're preparing for, so not sure what means for us. Most of the Boards of Elections are already not in their offices, but they've been directed to come in once a day and gather absentee requests (one Democrat and one Republican necessary). We'll know more about the primary this coming Friday.

We got carry-out from two of our favorite restaurants this weekend. The restaurants can still be open for delivery and carry-out under the "stay at home" order, too. Paper products are starting to show up on the shelves at the grocery store. I was able to pick up paper towels. Some things still missing but if you weren't picky about brand names, you could get what you needed for the most part.

The Banfield my bff works at closed today for two weeks. She went in with another worker to call everyone with an upcoming appointment to let them know of the closure.

I'm going to tell y'all what people around here are telling each other now: Take care. Be safe. Be well.

Now the death toll is over 400 in the US. More than half of active US cases are in New York state.

Also, Rand Paul (senator) has tested positive for COVID-19. This is after his dad, Ron Paul (former representative), claimed it was a "hoax" and was one of the deniers. I guess it might hit home to him now!

Every day it's more out of control than the last. Everyone has a right to be scared and everyone is wondering what is going to happen next. I just hope it will be a thing of the past here real soon, but it won't.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stay safe, Soda. I'm glad you're home for now.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."