Page 18 of 78 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think we are extended until the last day of April in Illinois.

Personally, I think they shouldn't bother with the rest of the school year for high school and lower. And don't make the kids do summer school, seems kind of wrong. It's not their fault this stupid virus is out of control right now. As far as staying at home and reopening businesses, go by what the virus statistics say. Don't reopen it to lose all the progress too early and have a massive problem, as if it isn't bad enough. It's not a race to who reopens. Let's let things improve and take it day by day rather than make deadlines. That seems very irresponsible.
    I agree Austin. Although nothing is written in stone we have pretty much finished up for the year too. We will continue to provide online support and classes for the kids who want it but in the area where I teach a lot of the families don't have internet and the kids don't have devices to interact on. We don't have a tradition of Summer school in Ireland and students progress to the next year automatically.

However one group of students that will continue with classes as much as possible is our final year secondary school students because they have the Leaving Certificate exams to do. Its an entirely written exam and takes place under strict supervision. This is like your passport out of school and the grades you get dicatates what course you get in University/college the following year, so its very high stakes. It has been postponed from the begining of June to the end of July. They are hoping teachers might get back into class in Juky for 2 weeks in an effort to help finish revision with those students.

Brooke I wouldn't worry too much about what the kids miss at this stage, particularly the younger ones. They will easily make up when they return in September, and its much better they be healthy. There is also a lot of informal things that parents can do with their children while they are off which are just as educational, and many kids are revelling in this time off engage with their parents in a way that they didn't have a chance to before now.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for all of the advice on video apps everyone. I figured in my research that Skype would probably work best for us. Nice to know my research wasn't all in vain.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Our lock down has been extended for at least another three weeks. I know it makes sense but...

Our governor is suppose to give his decision tomorrow on if we will reopen. Our stay in place order ends on Monday.

IMO. Our state is not ready to reopen. Our numbers are not getting better. I live in one of the counties that is a hotspot and we definitely shouldn't open in our county. If we reopen, its going to get worse. We almost close to 4,000 cases and the last two days our cases went up to 200, but our deaths have been very low. Plus some people don't give a dang about of not going around too many people.

Is it worth our lives to reopen to satisfy others? That's a big fat no. Our state needs to extend the order until we can get these cases under control.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I'm betting he will extend it, shun. My county just had its first death. They're starting to get hardcore here - people wearing facemasks at last, a 10:00 curfew where I am and an 8:00 pm curfew over in Tupelo. The curfew in Tupelo is being enforced, and it has some people fuming who think it is way too early. It's one thing to be advised to stay home; it's another to be told you *have* to go home or you'll be put in jail. One of my friends called it "power grabbers going nuts."

I guess we'll see.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It looks like my city has extended the stay at home order until April 30th.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

It’s not getting any better here in lil CT. It’s packed here at work. Numbers aren’t leveling off or slowing down. The weather has been crappy so couldn’t really go outside either. Today was windy and chilly in the 40s. Went out for a little bit. State parks are closed now too. CT wants everyone to wear face mask while out and about. Which I have.

Stuck on the Border

Well, the sad new continues here in NJ. Thus far there have been at least 75,317 confirmed cases and at least 3,518 confirmed deaths. The County I live in is 5th in the State with confirmed cases. Our Governor Phil Murphy continues to do a great job and stated we will probably be under "Stay At Home" order until at least May 31st. Schools are closed until than. However, I can't see them re-opening in June. We are in a state pack with Mass.,RI, Conn, NY, Pa. & Del. where all decisions when to open will be made as a joint bases so every state is the same and people can't travel to another state and spread the virus. I just found out the my sister and BIL, who live in another state, may have the virus.

On a kind of silly note(we do need some kind of laugh) my best friend and her husband went grocery shopping yesterday. The store they went to had toilet paper! They purchased one 20 pack of Scott(one was the limit) and gave me 9 of the rolls ! My search has ended ! My sister has been on the endless search too and I will probably split them with her.
    When this is all over, I will be going to Costco and getting the biggest package of tp and pt I can find. Also Lysol wipes, spray, etc.
    Stay safe everyone.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

My county finally had one confirmed case yesterday. Person is quarantined at home, so not too sick evidently. I was hoping for no cases in my county!

Our governor has extended the stay at home order till May 4th. Missouri is relatively low in cases so I hope it stays that way and that it gets lifted then.

Tp is still nowhere to be found! Nor hand sanitizer or wipes. It's so ridiculous! My co worker said she was in the local Dollar General and they got a shipment in the night before and one lady bought it all. DG higher ups said no limit on anything and the clerk told her all they could do was 'suggest'. So by morning when the elderly are allowed to shop by themselves there is none! Big strike against DG for me!

Grocery stores do have limits here but you have to go early.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Ah, those toilet rolls and hand wash. I think that has settled down over here, maybe because people have run out of storage space.

I hope you are all keeping safe. It looks like you have governors who are trying their best to get things under control, at least in the worst hit areas.

A month ago, our area had just one confirmed case but now it's up to 156 hospital admissions and 40 deaths. That's with a lockdown for the last three weeks. In the early days, the cases were doubling every 3-4 days and now it's 8-9 days.