Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

Today our governor Pritzker announced that schools in Illinois will be closed for the remainder of the year. It needed to happen. On Facebook, certain friends are bemoaning this because of senior high school students missing prom and graduation, but it's far more important to stay healthy and ensure health of those less fortunate! They will survive. I don't doubt it's unfortunate, but it's the right call. It infuriates me that people are still downplaying this or denying it outright. It's not a democrat hoax, it's not the government trying to control you, it's not the same as the flu, etc. I understand people don't want to live in fear, and that people get antsy when they are told to do something that they might want to rebel just because they can, but it's just foolish. I'm not saying you have to live in fear but blind optimism is far worse than well-informed realism or even pessimism! Also, stay-at-home/shelter-in-place is extended to May. Prior deadline was end of April. The quarantine/isolation will last how long it needs to, to control this virus and slow or stop the spreading. It's gone behind social distancing at this point, IMO. 6ft is ok I guess, with masks. Our department of health says everyone should be wearing masks, even those not compromised or infected. I personally agree, I think it is pretty smart to do.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Out on the Border henleyfreychick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Well, the sad new continues here in NJ. Thus far there have been at least 75,317 confirmed cases and at least 3,518 confirmed deaths. The County I live in is 5th in the State with confirmed cases. Our Governor Phil Murphy continues to do a great job and stated we will probably be under "Stay At Home" order until at least May 31st. Schools are closed until than. However, I can't see them re-opening in June. We are in a state pack with Mass.,RI, Conn, NY, Pa. & Del. where all decisions when to open will be made as a joint bases so every state is the same and people can't travel to another state and spread the virus. I just found out the my sister and BIL, who live in another state, may have the virus.

On a kind of silly note(we do need some kind of laugh) my best friend and her husband went grocery shopping yesterday. The store they went to had toilet paper! They purchased one 20 pack of Scott(one was the limit) and gave me 9 of the rolls ! My search has ended ! My sister has been on the endless search too and I will probably split them with her.
    When this is all over, I will be going to Costco and getting the biggest package of tp and pt I can find. Also Lysol wipes, spray, etc.
    Stay safe everyone.
    NKIT hope you're staying safe! I'm up in Bergen County and things are pretty bad. I agree with you, I think Murphy is doing a great job, but I do wish they would decide to close the schools for the rest of the school year. If states like PA right next to us who don't have it as bad (yet) have made that decision, shouldn't we also? Maybe it's just because I'm a teacher and absolutely overwhelmed by online instruction- I think all of the teachers could plan better if we had a definitive timeline of things and less of "we'll check back in three weeks." Personally, I'd rather know that we're doing the rest of the year online so I can plan my lessons better instead of this "we'll see" mentality. Maybe they're afraid the entire state will riot if given too long of a quarantine at once
    Where did you see the May 31 date? I keep seeing May 15 everywhere. So much conflicting info these days.

In any case, stay safe! And hoping your sister and BIL are doing okay...
    "Be part of something good, leave something good behind."

CT is now at 16,809 confirmed and 1,036 deaths. Lamont has basically been doing what NY, NJ do. I wish they would just call off the school year as well. May 20 is the date for now, but our last day of school is June 9....so why even go back? On the radio LaMont said PA and CA already closed for the year and in a round about way/read between the lines type of way signaled that’s where we are headed.

It’s hard to stay positive, I try, especially for kids....everyone stay safe.

Our Governor gives our population a C- on their adherence to expected behaviors during this time. While a fair percentage are wearing masks, many other guidelines are being ignored. Whole families, including infants, still go to town almost daily to "get out". Children roam essential stores, handling everything, while parents chat. People will sit down right next to me in the employee lounge, while I come up with an excuse to get up. I blame it partly on Louisiana's "Hurricane Party" mentality that there is nothing really serious going on and the government just wants to spoil their fun.
    People who are having to stay home (while understandably antsy) should see this as a gift of time to complete neglected tasks, contact old friends by phone, and reconnect with their family and their faith in meaningful ways.
    I have to worry daily about bringing the virus home to my elderly mother I care for, and would love to be able to stay home.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

NKIT - that your sister and BIL don't have this. If they do, we can just cross our fingers that it's a mild case for them.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Ah, those toilet rolls and hand wash. I think that has settled down over here, maybe because people have run out of storage space.

I hope you are all keeping safe. It looks like you have governors who are trying their best to get things under control, at least in the worst hit areas.

A month ago, our area had just one confirmed case but now it's up to 156 hospital admissions and 40 deaths. That's with a lockdown for the last three weeks. In the early days, the cases were doubling every 3-4 days and now it's 8-9 days.
    That's the thing about this virus. By the time someone starts showing symptoms, they may have already infected countless of other people. The only way to find out for sure who is carrying the virus is to test people. For the life of me, I can't understand why we haven't figured that out yet here in the U.S. So, until we do, the only safety net that we have is to continue social distancing.

I feel sorry for seniors who will miss their proms and graduations. They are both such a special part of the school experience for many of them. Those are the events that you remember for the rest of your lives. However, under the circumstances, it is the smart choice. Maybe, once we get through this, they will be able to plan some events to make up for it. I'm sure it won't be the same, but it would be meaningful to somehow bring classmates back together to celebrate their accomplishments at some point. Not many classes have a one-year reunion, but not many classes miss their proms and graduations either.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Well, some good news, my sister tested negative. We are still waiting for my BIL's results. My sister and I were talking yesterday and we both think she had the virus the test was a false negative. She had all the symptoms except the cough. We both think this virus was around late last fall/winter. Because everyone can't be tested, we will never know the true number of people who had it.

I hope you and your family are okay New Kid!

I've avoided even going in this thread because I'm trying to keep my stress and anxiety at bay but...we're stuck at home here in New York state until May 15 and the economic impact terrifies me as much as the virus. My employer laid someone off last week and one boss said it was due to job performance, the other said it was for financial reasons, so I don't know what is going on (both perhaps are true). They've told me my job is secure and the company would have to go under for them to let me go, but with circumstances as they are.... I spent a horrific sleepless night worrying about what I would do if they went out of business. I was out of work for 5 months once, a horrible experience, and this looks even more bleak, in this economy what jobs are there to get? I'm just trying to take things one day at a time, working as hard as I can (longer hours, actually, than if I was in the office) and hoping there is some way out of this soon that keeps everyone safe and doesn't put everyone out of work.

Glad to see everyone on here is safe and healthy!

Good to hear test came back negative NKIT. It’s possible to be false negative, good thing all is well. It’s crazy how this virus affects people in all kinds of ways. CT reporting lower hospitalizations...but I still don’t see it here at work so who knows.

hi Groupie! Fellow tri-stater! It is stressful. Hoping this clears up soon, I struggle staying positive, but like you said one day at a time. The Border has helped me. Great bunch of peeps here

Oh, Groupie... I'll keep you in my thoughts. I, too, struggle with what's happening economically to this country, although I am not one of those "we must open even if it costs lives" people. So devastating to so many people in so many ways. This virus has changed our society drastically, and we're going to have to learn that some things are "the new normal."

Ohio schools K-12 will not open physically for the rest of this school year, all online learning. But there is talk of a partial opening of businesses and other things on May 1st. That scares me, Ohio is one of the lowest states for testing. I don't know how we are going to decide things are not getting worse when testing is not happening at the level it should be. Ohio has been really good at "flattening the curve" but I think that's all going to go out the window.

We shall see. Brave New World, indeed.

Our governor is not thinking. Some business have reopened yesterday. HE also reopened the beaches, and people can now fish. Bad mistake. At some of the pictures I've seen, nobody I mean nobody is practicing social distancing. I was looking a picture of people standing outside at the Tax Collector place. Nobody was doing social distancing except one guy. I see why my race has the highest cases and deaths. We are soo hard headed and some don't care. When I go to the store, I saw a lot of them not wearing mask.

HE said we have reached our peaked, but yet. We had 300 this weekend and 238 yesterday. Our numbers have been on a rollercoaster ride and he shouldn't reopen the state on Monday. I don't know where he gets his numbers from, but our numbers are not steadily going down. And he reopens the state next week, its going to get worse.

I'm all for people going back to work, but at what cost. Our state is nowhere near safe to reopen especially with people not practicing social distancing. I pray he doesn't reopen. I'm glad my mayor sees our numbers not going down and I have a feeling he's going to extend stay in place order after April 30th.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley