Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    scottside - so glad your sister is recovering. I have some bad news of my own - my youngest brother and his wife, and stepson have all tested positive. His wife is a front line nurse, so I guess it shouldn't be a huge shock, but it's still very scary. I talked to my brother a little while ago and so far he is doing fair, although he was obviously not feeling very well. Everyone, please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers. My emotions right now are all over the place.
    Oh, no! Will definitely keep your family in my heart and mind. Blessings to you all.

Stuck on the Border

Oh No ! Dreamer I am so sorry to hear this. Sending prayer for your family and their recovery.

Shun, Sorry to hear that your colleague made those nasty remarks to you. Some people just don't get it until it smacks them in the face and effects a family member.

Austin please know that we all care for you and know the brave battle you face every day. It is a sad day when people think the elderly and those with health problems are worth less than the healthy. We will be in that position one day. I saw on the news a couple of weeks ago that a governor suggested the same thing. I can't remember what state he is from but glad he is not my governor.

UTW - I saw the story about that gentleman on the news ! It was a wonderful story ! God Bless that man.

Our governor extended the "stay at home " order until June 5th. Which is the right thing to do. We have a staggering number of cases and deaths in NJ. As of yesterday(Wed.) we had 131,890 confirmed cases and 8,549 confirmed deaths.
    They are currently working on some kind of plan for the summer regarding the opening of all the beaches and businesses. I have no idea how they will work that out but it will not be easy. Stay safe border friends !
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 05-07-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Dreamer, so sorry to hear this. Prayers for your family.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Okay, in Ohio you can get your haircut at a salon starting May 15th. Patio dining starts May 15th. Indoor dining starts May 21.

I dunno... I think it's a little soon.

Now my husband and I have a decision to make. Our tickets for the Cincinnati Dinner Train are for May 23rd. They have been offering refunds and gift certificates for those that are uncomfortable when the train does run again. It's eating in a train car. But it's our 35th anniversary. What do we do?

Scottside, glad to hear recovery is happening and Dreamer prayers going out to you and yours. This virus is baffling because it doesn’t act like a typical virus. At first they said it’s like the flu but it isn’t. The symptoms vary greatly and some are quite strange. CT ,as a state , hospitalization down,they say, but our numbers where I work are holding steady.

I hate to be a party popper CAinOH but I would get a refund or certificate and celebrate when it’s died down. It’s too risky.

shun, on the radio they had a protester that said similar things like “oh the ones that are dying are like 70s right well..” I was so disgusted and he was ranting about how he doesn’t want his freedoms taken away. I mean how disgusting. Why does age matter?? These are all loved ones! Makes me sick.

Everyone, please stay safe don’t let your guard down if something doesn’t feel right than it isn’t. Trust your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    I hate to be a party popper CAinOH but I would get a refund or certificate and celebrate when it’s died down. It’s too risky.
    We most likely won't go. My husband is 64, diabetic, and an ex-smoker (he quit 36 years ago, but he's still in that category). Right now I'm just waiting on the train to make some kind of announcement before I do anything.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post

Our governor extended the "stay at home " order until June 5th. Which is the right thing to do. We have a staggering number of cases and deaths in NJ. As of yesterday(Wed.) we had 131,890 confirmed cases and 8,549 confirmed deaths.
    They are currently working on some kind of plan for the summer regarding the opening of all the beaches and businesses. I have no idea how they will work that out but it will not be easy. Stay safe border friends !
    Because medical statistics is part of my background I have been crunching the numbers for some of the larger countries and examining the trends, mainly using worldometer. I'm wondering that I'm hearing on the ground about very high numbers of cases and deaths in the USA, yet when I look at the official records they don't tally. While every death is sad and we would wish there were none, 164 deaths yesterday for example in the USA seems out of synch with say 229 in Spain (which has only had 20% the number of cases compared to the USA) and 227 out of just 30,000 cases roughly in Mexico? whereas the USA has almost 1.3 million cases so far?

Is the strain of the virus milder in the USA? Or are the methods to cure it in some way better? Or are not all deaths being categorised as Covid-19 or C-19 related? I'm not pointing the finger here, I'm just interested in the statistical figures.

Is the testing regime strict in the USA? Here anyone displaying any of the symptoms is tested pretty much immediately and told to self isolate at least until the result comes in. Turnaround time is down to within 72 hours. We are testing roughly 43,000 per million of population, the UK is testing 22,600 per million and the USA 25,000

As I say, just interested in the logistics of the thing, seeing what if anything is working towards an eventual positive result
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

There's an interesting research paper from an UK university looking at how effective different measures have been across Europe. The conclusions are that the most effective have been school closures, banning mass gatherings and closure of hospitality businesses (ie bars and restaurants where people gather). They found that stay at home, wearing masks and closing non-essential businesses had a much smaller effect. If the study stands up to scrutiny, it may influence what measures are relaxed. Some more numbers to crunch. https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/-/new-st...id-19-lockdown

I foolowed worldometer at the start of the outbreak but as the number of cases grew, I became less confident that its data was up to date. For the US, my guess is that Johns Hopkins might be better, although I find the presentation less accessible. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Today, Wales announced some small relaxation of rules from Monday, including opening of garden centres and being allowed out to exercise more than once a day. In England, we won't be told anything until Windbag Johnson speaks on Sunday nut I expect it will be similar. The R number in Walse was given as 0.8, so not much room for change. The other impression that I get is that the infection rate in care homes and hospitals (throughout the UK) is still very high.

Just now for my state governor's press conference. He will continue the safer at home order for two more weeks. He had open back up restaurants, but only can have 50% of the people in there. If I heard right. Salons, barbershops, and gyms can open on Monday with restriction of course. As bad as I need to take my extensions out and put more in, I'm going to wait until its safe. I might need to buy a wig until then.

404 new cases today. My county numbers is now 657 with only 11 deaths(this is where the capital city is located and where I live too). WE are still the hotspot in the state. The mayor of Jackson's safer at home order ends next Friday and he's probably going to extend it after that. Our state will probably be hitting 10,000 cases probably in the next few days(if these numbers continue at 200 or 400).
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-08-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Our state lifted the stay at home order on Monday. We are opening back up in phases. We had the highest number of new cases that day at 368. It has gone back down to 285 yesterday, but ???

My county has 5 cases. No deaths.

I don't think there are nearly as many cases of Covid-19 as they are reporting. The medical advisor of Illinois was on tv answering questions about it all and she stated on live tv that if you had a heart attack and was also tested for c-19 your death was recorded as being caused by c-19. But, you actually died of the heart attack! Also if you fell off a roof and died and then tested positive for c-19, your cause of death was from c-19. That is not right! The hospitals get more money from the government if they say you died from c-19. That's a racket by the doctors doing the reporting and the hospitals. They get more money for everything pertaining to c-19, medication, ventilators, etc.

Therefore, who really knows how many people are really dying from it? In this country anyway.

I will put the video on my Fb page as soon as I can so you can listen to her!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten