Page 26 of 78 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Because medical statistics is part of my background I have been crunching the numbers for some of the larger countries and examining the trends, mainly using worldometer. I'm wondering that I'm hearing on the ground about very high numbers of cases and deaths in the USA, yet when I look at the official records they don't tally. While every death is sad and we would wish there were none, 164 deaths yesterday for example in the USA seems out of synch with say 229 in Spain (which has only had 20% the number of cases compared to the USA) and 227 out of just 30,000 cases roughly in Mexico? whereas the USA has almost 1.3 million cases so far?

Is the strain of the virus milder in the USA? Or are the methods to cure it in some way better? Or are not all deaths being categorised as Covid-19 or C-19 related? I'm not pointing the finger here, I'm just interested in the statistical figures.

Is the testing regime strict in the USA? Here anyone displaying any of the symptoms is tested pretty much immediately and told to self isolate at least until the result comes in. Turnaround time is down to within 72 hours. We are testing roughly 43,000 per million of population, the UK is testing 22,600 per million and the USA 25,000

As I say, just interested in the logistics of the thing, seeing what if anything is working towards an eventual positive result

Hi GA . I can't speak for the whole Country - only what I know about NJ and what I have heard on the national news. I can tell that in the beginning the testing was poor. Here in the NJ when this first started in March, there was only one test site in the state. You had to have a prescip. from your doctor and an appointment. NJ has since opened numerous sites but you still must have an apt. and a prescip. I believe they just opened a walk up site in a town a couple of miles from me. I know NJ has been keeping excellent record since I believe March. Our Governor and the health professionals all believe we(NJ), as well as other states, had cases and deaths going back to late Dec. or early Jan. The were recorded as "flu" cases or "pneumonia" case. My state has not yet begun testing for people who are/were asymptomatic or carriers. I did see an add this week for a private clinic that will do testing. The total number of cases and deaths I listed are all confirmed cases. As of Thursday there are 133,635 confirmed cases in NJ and 8,801 confirmed deaths. NY has also been keeping excellent track of it's cases.
    That 164 deaths yesterday in the US is wrong. Yesterday(Thurs.) NJ alone had 254 confirmed deaths and 1,827 confirmed new cases. I don't have the number but NY had a higher amount according to the news reports last night. According to CNN there are 1,273,887 Confirmed cases and 76,475 confirmed deaths in the US as of yesterday(May 7th).
    Hope this is helpful and take care.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 05-08-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    We most likely won't go. My husband is 64, diabetic, and an ex-smoker (he quit 36 years ago, but he's still in that category). Right now I'm just waiting on the train to make some kind of announcement before I do anything.
    Hi CA - If it were me I would get a refund or a gift certificate. It is better to be safe than sorry.

BTW - Congratulations on your upcoming Anniversary ! 35 years - that is something to celebrate ! Cheers to your and your hubby !

Thanks UtW, NKIT, and GA.

I was just gobsmacked someone had the audacity to say that stuff out loud. I've had bullies tell me it in school, I've even had a group of people I thought were friends start talking about me behind my back later to be revealed as saying amongst themselves they didn't think I was disabled or that I was hypochondriacal, and I've had one ex-"friend" question my worthiness as a human and why I just couldn't be normal and that I was basically a bum. All of them since the school bullies were dropped quicker than a hot potato. I refuse to tolerate that anymore. I did as a kid, but I'm not afraid to block them out of my life, either in person or digitally. Because I caused myself way more turmoil by not putting a stop to it in school. It lead to PTSD and serious self-image/insecurity issues. Stuff I still struggle with to this day, unfortunately.

I always think of a movie called "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" when I think of mean, shallow people. After Steve Martin's character starts picking on John Candy's character in the movie, Candy's character says "You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get."

I absolutely love and live by that quote.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Ok. I'm very confused about this problem in my state. For opening of salons. From Mississippi, people are complaining we need to open the state. I don't have money to pay my bills. I can't go another month without a job, but yet!!!! The same people are saying we need to open the salon so I can get my hair done. Where the heck the money is coming from if you are broke? That has me very confused.

I very badly need to get my hair done, but I'm not confident to go with our high numbers.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Just catching up on this thread. Dreamer, I am praying for your family members!

We are at 42 cases and 3 deaths in my county after a week of some businesses opening with restrictions, so it actually seems there has not been a sudden surge in cases around here at least. A bit higher, but not a catastrophic surge.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, thanks so much to everyone for keeping my family in your thoughts and prayers. My brother's family is still stable, and their symptoms aren't mild, but they aren't severe either at this point. He says this is nothing to take lightly and that you do not want to get this. It takes this virus a long time to run it's path and it's really scary because it can cause so many other complications. I've got my fingers crossed very tightly that they will all be okay, but I also know how quickly things can change with this, so I'm still very worried.

This has been an interesting discussion. As far as the number of cases and deaths here in the U.S. and our federal government's response to it, I think it's hard for most of us to see this as any kind of success. The federal government's role in times like this is to facilitate an ongoing coordinated, centralized effort that ensures our states have what they need to protect all of our citizens until we have this under control. That has simply not happened in this country. It is not and should not be the states responsibility to fend for themselves and compete against one another for what they need.

I agree that we don't know what the true number of confirmed cases and deaths are here. While there may be some cases of unethical or fraudulent reporting of numbers, I doubt that this is a widespread problem much more than it has been with past virus outbreaks. I think it is far more likely that the numbers are under-reported because we don't have a clue how many infected people are out there spreading the disease. So, until our federal government provides us with the ability to test our citizens at the same level as we do our government officials, we will not get this under control for a long while yet. That's all I'm asking - if I want to be tested, I should be entitled to do that even if I don't have symptoms.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well, the guys are back in the office today.

Eeew... people.

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Well, the guys are back in the office today.

Eeew... people.
    I know how you feel, CAinOH. We went back to our office (full staff) for a week now. I'm just staying in my office.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

We have cubicles, no door. In the first hour and a half everyone was back, one complained about the candle I was burning and they broke the internet. Dudes...

And... Cincinnati Dinner Train tickets cancelled. I know it was the thing to do, but I am sad. The lady on the phone was really nice about it. But, they're supposed to cut the number of tables in each car by 50%, so some of the tickets are going to be cancelled anyway. I probably did her a favor. Still, I am sad.

Stuck on the Border

Our summer holiday was cancelled today. I'm hoping to transfer the booking to June next year. From tomorrow, I'll be allowed to make day trips by car. Unfortunately, my car won't start as I've just left it in the garage for the last 7 weeks. Oops.

The numbers continue to come down both locally and nationally. In our county, population 192,000, there seems to be one new confirmed case a day (total 223). Today, the first report of the survey of current infections in the community was published and this suggests there are around 136,000 current cases across the country (though I'm not sure if this is just England or all of the UK). According to the Chief Scientific Advisor, early results of antigen testing suggest about 4% of the population has had the virus but as many as 10% in London, which probably means it's less than 1% in our county.

One point of interest that the scientists seem to firmly believe that the virus is much less easy to transmit out of doors. This is why we are being allowed out as often as we like so long as we keep 2 meters from anyone else.

There are lots of interesting statistics available. I have reservations about the competence of our government but at least they listen to the scientists and I have faith in the sense and transparency of the scientists.

It looks like good news in New York and I assume that New Jersey isn't far behind. It's quite telling that whenever I've caught news coverage about the virus in the US, it's more likely to be the Governor of New York rather than POTUS.