Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Corona Virus

Well - we got the directive at work yesterday to work from home until at least April 3rd. Our leadership based their decision on the recommendations of the CDC. I didn't read the entire CDC notice, but the thing they called out that make this different from other viruses is the speed at which it can spread and the fact that so many people are asymptomatic.

I know the media can hype some things, but I'm taking this seriously - this can get out of control very quickly if we don't heed these warnings.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I know the media can hype some things, but I'm taking this seriously - this can get out of control very quickly if we don't heed these warnings.
    Exactly, dreamer!

The MSM isn't out to get you or anything like that. Any news outlet joking or downplaying something as grave as this should be shut down, point blank. If anything, most of them (CNN, MSNBC, etc) are trying to keep people informed and clear up the miscommunication at times that might or might not be coming from the White House on any given day of the week. The media companies that try to downplay it or just refrain from it (one of them rhymes with rocks) are the ones to worry about. Those are the ones who probably have the agenda that the current administration has! Those are the ones I try to watch out for and speak out against. If this had been before the 2016 election it wouldn't have been made political, but in the current "climate" shall we say - anything and everything can be politicized for the benefit of one party. I'm not a pessimist. I'm also not an optimist. I don't see the glass as half full or half empty by default. I take it day by day and look at the data and make my conclusion on how I should view and handle things. I guess there is a third category - a realist. While I think pessimism gets old, so does optimism especially in the face of reality when reality is telling a different story. Overly positive people can be just as dangerous. I don't think there is anyone who fits this bill yet, but I could see it getting out of hand. I think there are people who are turning a blind eye in Washington and I think there is a serious problem with that! Right now it's just denial, rose-colored glasses, and a bunch of downplaying. But the minute we get happy about things we will know we're in even worse off shape than we are now. Volatility is at an all time high now!

Personally, as someone who is quite literally one adrenal crisis away from death at any given moment, my family and I will take this as serious as it is. My father isn't in the best of health, my mother is the healthiest of us 3 but she's no spring chicken (sorry Mom!) either. Not to forget my grandpa, grandma, and step-grandpa who are older and some of whom have serious comorbities as well. It makes me nervous. I feel like at any minute someone who I love dearly could become infected and at risk of dying. I myself worry about dying anyway, I didn't need COVID-19 to make this any worse. Coronavirus worries are real. People aren't being hypochondriacal for worrying. Especially those who have poor health and/or over the age of 60. As Dreamer says, in young people there are a large number that are just simply carrying it.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Well tonight at work hardly anyone coming to the ER unless true emergency; which is a drastic turn from days prior where we were getting so many people for flu like symptoms etc. I think people are self quarantining themselves more. Even driving in there was much less cars on the road for a Weekend. My kids are home now for two weeks as well and will be doing e-learning. Convinced my Mom to stop going to the gym for a while.

hang in there everyone, wishing the best for all....stay safe.

Just found out two tested positive for COVID-19 in Springfield, IL. Not too damn far from where I live (only about 1 and a half hours). One is in the ICU.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

As was suspected, asymptomatic younger and middle age people are spreading it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/healt...ead/index.html
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Yesterday, I gave into my gut feeling and called Kaiser's advice line. I'd been having a little cough, runny nose, headaches etc. They advised me to go into the ER, which I did. Although they don't have the Covid-19 test, I got x-rays & blood work & an EKG. I'm happy to say, my blood work was all good, my lungs are clear & my heart is healthy. I knew this all, but the cough was bugging me.
    The doc said, what I think is true,that it's environmental.
    We also have a beautiful tree full of orange blossoms, so my allergies are kicking in, hence the runny nose & headaches.
    That all being said, I'm headed to out tonight, to hang out with friends and relax before my Kevin heads off to work. I am safe!!! And will continue on with my healthy living & eating☺️ I'm 64, by the way.

Glad you received a good report, MarthaJo! I hope you feel better soon and continue to fend off the CoronaBug (Along with everyone else here)!!
    It had occurred to me that it being allergy season, a lot of people will be unsure what they are dealing with.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    Yesterday, I gave into my gut feeling and called Kaiser's advice line. I'd been having a little cough, runny nose, headaches etc. They advised me to go into the ER, which I did. Although they don't have the Covid-19 test, I got x-rays & blood work & an EKG. I'm happy to say, my blood work was all good, my lungs are clear & my heart is healthy. I knew this all, but the cough was bugging me.
    The doc said, what I think is true,that it's environmental.
    We also have a beautiful tree full of orange blossoms, so my allergies are kicking in, hence the runny nose & headaches.
    That all being said, I'm headed to out tonight, to hang out with friends and relax before my Kevin heads off to work. I am safe!!! And will continue on with my healthy living & eating☺️ I'm 64, by the way.

Glad to know you are doing ok.

The hospital that had the two cases closeby just had a press briefing and they had someone from the department of public health come on and say that they don't want people coming to ER, urgent care, or their doctor but rather call a hotline and go through a screening. If they think you are at risk, you go to a designated testing place to be tested. They said that if you show up to ER, you won't get a test because there are just not enough of them. If you get admitted and they think you have it, then perhaps so but they are telling everyone who thinks they may have COVID-19 or have been around someone confirmed, to call.

Personally I will be staying home for the foreseeable future. I will be making the trek to St. Louis soon for my health (which is another can of worms but needs to be done as I can't move my right foot), but I won't lie that I will be taking every measure possible to stay as hygienic and clean as possible. And I will be carrying enough Purell to bathe a town of people with. I don't care if people think it's silly. I guess I'd rather be silly than sick or dead, so there you go. It's not out of proportion nor is it hyped or any of that. It's getting real and more so every single day. I think it's hysteria to deny it. I think people need to be careful now.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Glad you received a good report, MarthaJo! I hope you feel better soon and continue to fend off the CoronaBug (Along with everyone else here)!!
    It had occurred to me that it being allergy season, a lot of people will be unsure what they are dealing with.
    I second FF, good news MarthaJo! FF, the timing with allergy season is bad (not there is a good time but you get the point). Plus flu season still going and never mind pneumonia and everything else.

good luck with your treatments Walshfan88, it’s not silly, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep you and yours safe.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - as a nation, I have no doubt that we will survive this in time. But ... at what cost? As I said earlier, what concerns me the most is the number of infected asymptomatic people that are unknowingly spreading the virus. Look at what is going on in Italy - it is an awful situation. And, politics aside, the fact of the matter is our government did not take this as seriously as they should have several months ago. So, now, we are lagging far behind where we should be in terms of preventative actions. It was inevitable that the virus would eventually make it over here and that there would be some fatalities. But, it is sinful that lives are being lost in this country because we weren't prepared for this.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016