Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Well, at work, I am scheduled to get first dose of vaccine on the 29th. I’m nervous but think it’s the right thing to do......
    Good Luck! I know this won't completely eradicate it, but I am hoping it slows the spread. But this also doesn't mean we can let our guard down. Like Joe says on his radio show, wash your hands, wear a mask, and stand six feet from yourself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Well, at work, I am scheduled to get first dose of vaccine on the 29th. I’m nervous but think it’s the right thing to do......
    Can't wait to get mine either, but I'm in a low level category so I think it will be a while.

Austin you must be in line to be one of the first to get it? Are you?

Very worrying now is that a faster spreading mutant strain has emerged in Holland and has seeded in London and the East of England. It doesn't cause any worse symptome but is spreading a lot more easily. London and surrounding areas has been placed under immediate lockdown and most European countries are not allowing anyone to travel from the UK into their countries at all. You guys in the States need to monitor this very carefully.

Germany, Netherlands, UK and Denmark are back under lockdown and we expect new restrictions within days after Christmas with restaurants and bars due to close again. Indeed even this week we have been advised to be out as little as possible although its not mandatory. Northern Ireland to go into lockdown again from 26th December.

This vaccine cannot come fast enough!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Can't wait to get mine either, but I'm in a low level category so I think it will be a while.

Austin you must be in line to be one of the first to get it? Are you?

Very worrying now is that a faster spreading mutant strain has emerged in Holland and has seeded in London and the East of England. It doesn't cause any worse symptome but is spreading a lot more easily. London and surrounding areas has been placed under immediate lockdown and most European countries are not allowing anyone to travel from the UK into their countries at all. You guys in the States need to monitor this very carefully.

Germany, Netherlands, UK and Denmark are back under lockdown and we expect new restrictions within days after Christmas with restaurants and bars due to close again. Indeed even this week we have been advised to be out as little as possible although its not mandatory. Northern Ireland to go into lockdown again from 26th December.

This vaccine cannot come fast enough!!

I am concerned too about the mutant strain as well. They say it is mutating at a pace not seen before. Concerning with the rapid spread isn’t people wearing masks more than ever? Or are people still gathering in private and not adhering to rules? My kids are back to being home until Jan 8, to avoid anyone spreading COVID via family gatherings.

thanks everyone for wishing me luck. I’ll keep you posted.....

Everyone stay safe don’t slack, wishing the best to all, stay safe GA....

Here in California it is spreading real fast. They said the've traced outbreaks to some markets, banks and stores. What is worse to me is when people have tested positive or know they have been exposed, don't take any precaution such as wearing a mask or self quarantining. They just keep going out spreading it. I worry about my nephew who is an interstate truck driver. He wears a mask when out of his truck but still it's scary in a way.
    California is about to be the epicenter in the US. Not something we want. But still we allow Air B&B to operate and they have people from all over coming into our neighborhoods yet we are supposed to stay home.
    Told my brother yesterday maybe we should try for June 25 for Christmas.
    We're supposed to be getting more vaccine delivered. First responders and essential workers first, then nursing homes and seniors and at risk people. They already have people trying to buy a better place in line, so to speak. They had a doctor on tv yesterday talking about it. He's been contacted by movie people, CEO's and anyone who has money to try to buy vaccine for their selves and families.
    Just stay safe everyone. Take responsibility for your own and your family's safety because many others just don't care.
    Wishing Everyone Peace, Health and Happiness. What ever Holiday you celebrate have a Good One.

my sister in Sacramento, tells me the other day that her live-in boyfriend's daughter (who is also living with my sister and my 63 year old aunt), tested positive and so they pumped her full of cold and flu medicine and bam! the symptoms were completely gone. So now my sister is convinced that the virus is nothing but a cold and they are totally letting their guard down. I'm scared for my aunt's life, because not only is she older, but she has a compromised immune system. I'm hoping she can somehow go and get the vaccine when they start giving them out.

meanwhile in mormonland, the covid deaths aren't as bad, but the infection rates are really bad. But because less people are dying, the Salt Lake City public seems to think that it's ok to walk around without a mask and cough without covering their mouths. Little kids are licking metro train windows and some people sneeze and then grab the handrails on the trains and buses. I feel like I'm in an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Stuck on the Border

I've been feeling rather gloomy over the last few days. France closing its UK border to freight is scary because the UK is not self-sufficient in food, medicines and such. We have been told that it is only "accompanied" freight that it disrupted (ie in lorries with drivers) and that 80% of supplies are unaccompanied (I assume in containers) so not to worry, but I feel bad for all those drivers who are trying to get home from Christmas on both sides of the channel. It's also only 9 days to the end of the Brexit transition period and there is still no trade agreement.

There's also a feeling of frustration. My family has effectively been in voluntary lockdown since March and we have limited exposure to risks, but I worry about the rest of the population who aren't able to do this. Even people who are wearing masks and taking reasonable precautions may have children attending school. In the local High Street, people wear masks at least while they are in shops but I also noticed that in the barbershop, the barbers removed their masks when they had no customers. One concern is the recent changes to what is allowed over Christmas. At 4pm on Saturday, new restrictions were announced for London that would take effect at midnight. While some people cancelled their plans, a lot of people brought forward their travel arrangements and fled London, resulting in crowds at railway stations and on trains and potentially spreading this new strain around the country. Two of my son's friends left London in this way (and I hope he doesn't intend to meet up with them, even outside).

The vaccines can't come fast enough. Currently, the Pfizer vaccine is being given at the local hospital and one medical centre in our city but supplies are limited. I'm hoping the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine gets authorised soon because a) there is a lot of it ready to go, b) it's storage requirements mean it can be distributed and given easily, c) there is manufacturing capability in the UK.

I'm also puzzled by how high the numbers are in the UK despite restrictions and what seems to be a good level of compliance. Masks have not been politicised, we have universal health care and those complaining of infringement of personal liberties seem to be a very small minority. Yet rates (per 100,000 population) are similar to the US. How?
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-22-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Hi UTW - I was shocked when I heard about this. I just hear on the news this morning from a doctor that he suspects the new strain is already here. Flights from overseas have been coming in non stop since this past summer. I saw in my local newspaper the other day that something like 70% of people contacted in NJ refused to cooperate with contact tracers. Most are between 18 to 30 somethings. They refuse to give names as to who they have visited.
    UTW - I would guess that people have not been compliant as they say they are, which could acount for the high rate of transmission. Also, most of your schools are open which could expose more people to the virus. We here in the US are seeing the post-thanksgiving surge now and I suspect the same thing will happen in a few weeks after Christmas/New Years. Just MHO, butt people are tired of all the regulations and don't seem to be as careful as in the Spring. The vaccine can't come soon enough.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I've been feeling rather gloomy over the last few days. France closing its UK border to freight is scary because the UK is not self-sufficient in food, medicines and such. We have been told that it is only "accompanied" freight that it disrupted (ie in lorries with drivers) and that 80% of supplies are unaccompanied (I assume in containers) so not to worry, but I feel bad for all those drivers who are trying to get home from Christmas on both sides of the channel. It's also only 9 days to the end of the Brexit transition period and there is still no trade agreement.

There's also a feeling of frustration. My family has effectively been in voluntary lockdown since March and we have limited exposure to risks, but I worry about the rest of the population who aren't able to do this. Even people who are wearing masks and taking reasonable precautions may have children attending school. In the local High Street, people wear masks at least while they are in shops but I also noticed that in the barbershop, the barbers removed their masks when they had no customers. One concern is the recent changes to what is allowed over Christmas. At 4pm on Saturday, new restrictions were announced for London that would take effect at midnight. While some people cancelled their plans, a lot of people brought forward their travel arrangements and fled London, resulting in crowds at railway stations and on trains and potentially spreading this new strain around the country. Two of my son's friends left London in this way (and I hope he doesn't intend to meet up with them, even outside).

The vaccines can't come fast enough. Currently, the Pfizer vaccine is being given at the local hospital and one medical centre in our city but supplies are limited. I'm hoping the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine gets authorised soon because a) there is a lot of it ready to go, b) it's storage requirements mean it can be distributed and given easily, c) there is manufacturing capability in the UK.

I'm also puzzled by how high the numbers are in the UK despite restrictions and what seems to be a good level of compliance. Masks have not been politicised, we have universal health care and those complaining of infringement of personal liberties seem to be a very small minority. Yet rates (per 100,000 population) are similar to the US. How?
    Slightly OT here, but do you think there's any chance of another 11th hour reprieve from a full-on hard Brexit, or have the EU officials had enough? I know that Covid-19 did impact negotiations back in March-June, so I thought that might provide a justified reason for another extension. I did my capstone on the failure of Brexit negotiations, and will be attempting to find a deeper reason behind it than just "trading" issues for an upcoming conference paper.

As to your question about per capita rates, the only thing that I can think of is that the UK is more densely populated than the U.S. Plus, public transportation is the norm for y'all, so that probably increases the possibility of transmission. Regardless, I hope that the new strain either dies out or is preventable by the vaccines.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Never say Never AG but I think the EU have had enough. This has dragged on nearly 5 years now and has taken countless hours of negotiation. To be honest of the British public had been fully aware of ALL the trade implications of Brexit a few more might have voted 'remain' rather than 'leave'.

It seems to be that the only way this virus can be halted until the vaccine arrives is to literally remain at home. Elle, I'm shocked to read about the careless way some people are treating public health advice. I know when my husband tested positive with no symptoms and then I subsequently did we had to remain in a separate room on our own for 2 weeks. Our daughter who is 19 had to remain home from work and restrict movements for 2 weeks and our son had to miss 2 weeks of school even though they were quite well. He would have been sent home and we would have been sacked if we had knowingly come into work during this time.

We will be going back to level 5 (strictest) with a few concessions from St Stephens Day *day after Christmas*. Once again the restuarants will be closed as well as a host of other amenities. They are looking very carefully at whether to open schools as planned on 6th January. We finished up today! Church services are going to be very limited over the Christmas period so I imagine like Sundays and Easter we will be accessing them online for Christmas too.

Please stay safe everyone. It os NOT worth putting yourself or others in danger just to prove a point.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This is going to be a depressing holiday season for sure. After almost a year of dealing with this, we are worse off now than ever, and it's bound to get even worse in the coming weeks. Like many, I am very tired of staying at home, while many others just escalate the situation by ignoring all safety precautions. But, it is obvious at this point that we have to accept that some people are just not going to heed the warnings. I am so in hopes that the vaccines will be effective in getting this virus under control so all of our lives can return to some sense of normalcy. But, sadly, it will possibly take decades before we fully recover from this.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016