Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

I'm just glad we finally have a vaccine coming.

I heard about the new strain in the UK. Scary!

Here in Houston, I see reduced capacity at restaurants and shops, but pretty much everything is still open... unless it has gone out of business, like several of the places I used to go to when I lived here. My favorite nail shop, several clothes shops, and several restaurants I used to frequent are gone.

The main difference I see from my trip here in June is that finally, everyone is wearing masks... except in church.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I'll keep this brief because it's OT and also offer my apologies to everyone else.

AG, there can be no further extension for Brexit as it would be unlawful. Earlier this year, our parliament passed a law preventing any further extensions. In theory this could be overturned by another vote in parliament but parliament won't be sitting again until January, after the end of the transition period. The Prime Minister is also under pressure from the most right-wing, anti-EU faction to no give in to EU demands in order to get a deal. It's a mess. (I neither voted for Brexit nor the current government but I have to accept the majority decision)

I'm more saddened by my sister's attitude over the virus than anything else. She's the older one, but I'm the one with the brains. I want to shake the stupid out of her. Just because some of her friends supposedly had and recovered from the virus, she thinks its not that bad. I keep telling her that you need to act like it's bad. This doesn't mean you can walk around without your mask! Ugh, she hurts my head sometimes.

Soda, that's scary to think that people don't wear masks in church. That's how one of the counties here in Utah got a really bad outbreak this past September. One mormon church, with a ward (congregation) of at least 200 people were all infected at the same time. And since it was a Stake center, which is like a main building for three or more individual wards to gather together, they ran the risk of infecting a massive number of people. And they don't care, they either believe it's a fake virus created by the liberal news media, or they think all they have to do is pray the illness away. It just straight up baffles me.

Soda - that is probably very safe to do. I'd worry more about the travel to and from than being with them if you've all been staying home and you're negative. I would not get on an airplane or train right now unless I absolutely had to for an emergent reason and even then I would be taking every alternative to doing so. Especially planes with their recirculating air. That's just an incubator for things like COVID. I'd be a basket case. I'm not even a germaphobe but with COVID you can bet I'm taking it 120 percent serious.

GA - I've been told I'm at the front of the line just behind health care workers and the elderly 70+ crowd. So basically I'm just waiting for the go ahead. I go see my Endocrinologist in January who is my main provider and deals with the chronic conditions that put me on the fast track. I trust him. If he says to do it, you can bet I cannot roll my sleeve up fast enough. I'm going to ask him if he has a preference on Pfizer vs Moderna. It's possible they can do it then. I don't have any allergies to medications or foods that would make it risky. My only allergies are seasonal related and dust mites. I'll certainly hang around the clinic for at least 15-20 minutes after even if they don't make me just to make sure I have epinephrine shall I need it. I've had anaphylactic shock happen during a routine allergy shot here at home. It was an event that brought me the closest to death I've been. I'm certainly respectful of anaphylaxis and it's severity, but I'm not worried about that kind of reaction to the COVID shot. It is a new mRNA technology, but I've seen nothing to suggest it's in relation to getting shots for dust mites and getting a shot that was a little too high of a allergen dose. Still, I'm deferring to my main doc.

Elle - this year has been so disappointing for me with the state of humanity. As if the last 4 years haven't been divided enough, now this deadly pandemic has been politicized and weaponized by someone who has a scary amount of power and mind control over a lot of people. They follow "him" and the conspiracy theorists, not the science. There's nothing you can do, and sometimes it's better to just walk away and keep your distance if you know they aren't following protocol. I'm tired of reading about people being totally ok with putting the people in my "class" up as trade bait for "freedom" be it no masks or no social distancing. I've never seen so much callousness and selfishness. I've lost "friends" that I thought gave a damn. I've read comments posted publicly by people I'll never meet that make me feel broken. Some would say it's me that's the problem for feeling that way or that I shouldn't be upset and that I'm weak, sheeple, whatever. To me that just affirms I'm making the right decision by cutting those ties and "unfriending" people both online and IRL. I just hope after January 20th we will get a leadership in my country (USA) that actually can right this ship. It will take considerable time to recover not only from COVID but from the division, hurt, damage, etc. Some will never change. But I'm hoping that the people who were encouraged to come out of hiding and that were given a platform to spew hate and feel emboldened will find themselves heading back into the closet where they frankly belong. The rest of us will keep each other in line and try to be better people. Care for their fellow man. Wear masks when there is a pandemic. Care for the disabled and elderly. Not be racist or homophobic. Not be bigots, domestic terrorists, or supremacists. To see a narcissist for who they are and not be fooled by someone who tries to make you think they are your saving grace when in fact you'd be the first type of people they would walk over. That kind of thing. I know everyone here is one of the caring people. But I've seen so many of the bad side it can't be swept under the rug. I've seen people use screen names to say things online they would never say in person or be associated with. But I've now seen people on Facebook with their real names and pictures share vitriol that I still think they wouldn't say in person, but have lost their subtlety and are showing themselves as who they really are and how they think. Some are boastful about it. No shame. No self dignity. No fear of being called out on it. And I've heard of people doing the same in person. It's just all so bleak.

Dreamer - absolutely. The holidays are rough enough as it is and this just makes it all the worse. Mental health is so important and it is so easy to be anxious or depressed right now. I agree that I'm afraid that COVID will get worse before it gets better. I hope 2021 and the new US administration means things will start turning up but even with that, this will take time. Time for the vaccines to get out to all people who will take them (as IMO everyone should. If the vaccines are proven safe, then the whole Q type conspiracies need to end.). Time for things to flatten the curve and start progress.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

As a family, our family has decided to hold a virtual Christmas as we did with Thanksgiving.

I'll be here with my folks, but we will do a Christmas gift/card swap in a parking lot with masks on and a quick change over on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas Day we will log into a video call and open the gifts. Everyone will have their own food to eat and we can chat and then everyone can go on about their day. I sincerely hope we don't have to do this again in 2021, but if we need to we will. We want to be on the right side of history. And we want everyone vulnerable or not to be safe and healthy and out of the hospital.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I hope your gift exchange and dinner worked well Austin. Our Christmas was fairly normal except that we had to get our Chriatmas Mass online instead of in person like we usually do in our son's school. We just had my brother and sister over for lunch. Each of them lives alone and we were not breaking any of the rules.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Well hello gang! I literally just got the vaccine. While I was waiting, Dreams by FM was playing and I kid you not when I got mine “Already Gone” was playing. Love it. They haven’t played a song since. Dang just for me how sweet!!! I have to stay in observation for 15 min. Then free to go. It was painless. I got the Moderna one. Go back in 28 days for second shot. Wish me luck. Hopefully light at the end of this dark dank tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Well hello gang! I literally just got the vaccine. While I was waiting, Dreams by FM was playing and I kid you not when I got mine “Already Gone” was playing. Love it. They haven’t played a song since. Dang just for me how sweet!!! I have to stay in observation for 15 min. Then free to go. It was painless. I got the Moderna one. Go back in 28 days for second shot. Wish me luck. Hopefully light at the end of this dark dank tunnel.
    Congratulations, KW! (Yes, I owe you a package!)

My husband is in the first wave of "citizens" (non-first-responders) qualified to get the vaccine. He's definitely going for it. I have to wait for a while, but that's okay. We're social-distancing (have been for years) and everyone is careful at work.

I did go to my brother's house for Christmas breakfast. Considering I work with 5 of the 8 other people there, I figured I would be okay. My sister-in-law did lose her Dad to COVID, so sad. They're not even sure where he picked it up. Retired deputy sheriff, but John had an existing heart problem (as did my uncle who died). My aunt is out of the hospital and in a rehab center (where friends of the family work). She was not expected to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I hope your gift exchange and dinner worked well Austin. Our Christmas was fairly normal except that we had to get our Chriatmas Mass online instead of in person like we usually do in our son's school. We just had my brother and sister over for lunch. Each of them lives alone and we were not breaking any of the rules.
    It did go well! Thank you.

That's probably very safe, GA. I think people have to make the choices. I'm honestly more concerned about the traveling, especially with airplanes/trains or huge gatherings of people who don't all know each other and the status of those people. 10+ is a little reckless IMO. When you throw in friends of the family and lots of in laws, well, that's a problem IMO. But ultimately people will have to make the choice and potentially have to live with the repercussions should there (hopefully not) be any of making said choice.

IMO air travel should be emergency only until this virus gets under control. An airplane is just an incubator for communicable diseases, with the recirculated air and all. Not to mention the packed airports where everyone is packed together like sardines and everyone is sitting shoulder to shoulder. It's just so wrong IMO and very irresponsible, and I put that on the the airlines and airports, for that matter. They should be doing more to limit air travel to "I have to get to see XYZ due to an emergency right now" and certainly block off more seating to where there is massive spaces and severly limit the capacity of the planes. It's the right thing to do. Will they do it, no. A case of money vs morals.

I worry about the next wave from the flights and train rides over the holidays and the mass gatherings and functions.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Awesome!

I can't wait to take mine and have some peace of mind.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger