Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Corona Virus

Here in NJ just about everything is closed - school, bars, rests., movie theaters, gyms, bowling alleys, etc. The Gov. just started a 8 pm to 5am curfew. I saw on FB this morning that Stop & Shop(a local grocery store here in the Northeast) will have a special Senior shooing time this Thursday from 7am to 9 am. I am glad they are doing this. I went to the grocery store on Sunday with my neighbor and almost everything was gone. Of course there was no TP or paper towels and cleaning products of any kind. No milk, eggs, meat, chicken, snacks and, almost no frozen veggies. This was worse than the biggest panic buying for a big snow storm. An employee said they had never seen anything like it before. I haven't either.

I have to say I just don't get the need to buy 27 rolls of toilet paper. I grew up in a big family and we never used 27 rolls of toilet paper in one month. While I was trying to grocery shop on Sunday, I saw a woman walk past with 6 things of laundry det.
    All the grocery stores around me are now putting limits on everything. Needless to say they should have done this earlier.

MaryJo and Austin take care. All my Border friends be safe !

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Well CT has closed gyms, restaurants for dining in, recreational, sports, and governor said schools closed until March 31. Where I work has been designated as a drive thru testing facility.

One thing I was happy to see is that Stop n Shop is opening at a specific time for senior shopping only. Which is great idea. especially since people like the ones below exist:

Two jerks from Tennessee snatched up all this hand sanitizer from various dollar stores, etc to sell on eBay They got busted and eventually donated their surplus to local church, but he showed no remorse when asked.
    I read that article about the ebay sellers, KW. They spun it as doing a service to those from rural areas who may not have the chance to buy any hand sanitizer locally. I'm glad ebay cracked down on them and they lost some money.

And I agree, NKIT, people don't need 27 rolls of t.p. or 6 bottles of detergent. All of this hoarding is getting crazy!

On the subject of buying I do believe there is legitimate reason for panic and I do believe we aren't too far away from a federally enforced curfew if not quarantine. The coronavirus is a legitimate reason for serious panic and it's not hysteria. It's a real problem and I think social distancing, self-quarantining, etc is the only way to do it. I think closing everything is the right thing to do as severe as the COVID-19 outbreak is.

But hoarding is just wrong, and prevents those less fortunate from getting the stuff they need. I do like the idea of seniors only shopping for a couple hours. Buy what you know you will need to survive for a couple months and reevaluate then. But don't hoard it all for yourself. And certainly don't buy it all up and sell it to make a buck. If you do the price gouging and get caught doing it you should be arrested. Point blank.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Is anyone else feeling a bit... hemmed in, claustrophobic? I still work outside the home but when I hear of closing bars, restaurants, stores, etc. I get antsy. They're even saying no more than 10 people in a group on the beach. A small insistent voice within me is saying, "Time to flee!"

To tell the truth. I really hate that my agency is NOT letting us go home. My office has people come in every day to report in and they are putting our lives in danger. Some stupid person came in here saying he's sick. I pray he doesn't have the coronavirus.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Is anyone else feeling a bit... hemmed in, claustrophobic? I still work outside the home but when I hear of closing bars, restaurants, stores, etc. I get antsy. They're even saying no more than 10 people in a group on the beach. A small insistent voice within me is saying, "Time to flee!"
    Not at all, but I'm an introvert through and through. I'm much more social online, I tend to be hermit-like in real life. Probably because I'm actually quite shy in real life. The online me is polar opposite, obvs.

I do feel like it's the right thing. I have no doubt that for those who are social that the distancing will be tough but IMO it's what's needed to put a stop to the novel coronavirus or at least slow it down some.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm an introvert too. So I can find something to do. I can read some books, binge watch some shows etc. When I broke my ankle three years ago, I couldn't leave the house for 3 weeks. I think I can do it whenever that comes to to that.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I'm an introvert too. So I can find something to do. I can read some books, binge watch some shows etc. When I broke my ankle three years ago, I couldn't leave the house for 3 weeks. I think I can do it whenever that comes to to that.
    Exactly.

I think the idea of "shelter-in-place" is a good one and is one most should be practicing whenever possible. I think it's asinine how some companies are handling this.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Well, yesterday we let our employees make their own decision as to whether they wanted to work from home or not. With yesterday's primary postponed, there isn't a lot to do. So, there are three of us here at work: two owners and the maintenance/do-whatever guy. At least Tony made coffee.

I have software updates to work on. That will keep me busy.

ETA: My other brother just showed up. So all three owners are here plus Tony. The coffee is good.

[QUOTE=CAinOH;392308
    The coffee is good.[/QUOTE]

Good coffee, yes!! Mines a little strong today. Kids have first day of e-learning. The home schooling is pretty involved, it'll be a struggle for me after coming off my shift; I am lucky I work part time nights. Thursday starts my 4 in a row, And co-worker told me supplies are in for drive thru testing, it shall be interesting.

More stores in my area are doing senior only shopping hours. 👏