Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Corona Virus

I had my first shot of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine yesterday. I didn't feel the needle go in and I had a niggling doubt that it hadn't happened so It's reassuring to have a slightly tender spot on my arm today. I also have a mild headache but that's it for side-effects so far. My husband unhelpfully described it as an "inferior vaccine for inferior people" so I reminded him he would be one of those "inferior people" when he has his next week. In truth, I'm not bothered because the majority of people here are getting this one and it has allowed a very speedy vaccination program. My second shot is in 11 weeks time.

Schools reopened on Monday and we're expecting a rise in cases. The hope is that hospitalisations and deaths will continue to decline because the majority of those most vulnerable have already been vaccinated.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I was checking a vaccine calculator last week and it was looking like the end of August for me but now they have withdrawn Astrazeneca for the moment so it could be a lot longer.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I'm sorry you're having to wait so long, GA. I hope that changes.

I've been luckier - I have gotten my first dose and am getting my second one at the end of the month.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Second shot coming up Wednesday, can't wait to be DONE!

Good luck LGG! I just got hubby his first appt in a few weeks. It is crazy getting an appt. There is the state portal, then the two major hospital systems have there own to search through, and then depending what time of day you are actually looking, appts come and go so fast! Keep checking if you can’t get an appointment, you might get lucky and be on at the right time.

I had gotten my second shot on Monday. I am done with the shot. Other than a sore arm and a little tired, I was fine on Monday. Then I started to feel like crap yesterday. I had a fever, chills, headache, very tired, and a little nauseous. All the side effects they said that would happen. I had to leave work yesterday when I was started to feel worse. I feel better now.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, computer-challenged me finally had a covidvaccine scheduled for early yesterday. I was included in the new, large group added on Monday to the list of qualified persons. I thought I needed to hurry to get it quickly. But I was turned away when I arrived. They said that they could not open a vial unless at least 10 people were coming to get the shot within a certain number of hours, because they would have to destroy the remainder due to it's short shelf life after opening. Rules are rules, but where IS everybody? C'mon, people! I'm now to get it Friday.
    Glad you're feeling better, Shun!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Still seem to be some glitches in administering the vaccine, but, overall, we are doing a lot better in my state.

Glad you are feeling better, shun. I get my second dose this coming Saturday. I will be so relieved to be fully vaccinated!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

My sister and brother-in-law were vaccinated in Toronto last weekend. You may remember that South Africa received a delivery of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine from the Serum Institute of India but then decided not to use it for fear that it was insufficiently effective against the South African variant. It seems that the vaccine was returned to India and Canada was able to purchase it. By now, it has a short shelf life and so Ontario opened up bookings to those aged over 60.

One of the positives to come out during the last year is how healthcare and science have become more visible. Instead of celebrities attending parties, we read about nurses and scientists. Dr Fauci (and in the UK Professor Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance) regularly appears on our news feeds and TV. This, in turn, may inspire young people. We are told that applicants to train as a nurse are up 30% and surely there must be an increased interest in studying science. As a general population we are now better educated about viruses, vaccines, epidemiology, risk, clinical trials, aerosols, ventilation, genomics. This should help us to know how to evaluate the information (or misinformation) that we receive.

Just after my first vaccination, many european countries paused giving the vaccine I'd just had which was a bit worrying. However, I now know how to dig below the headlines and find the more detailed and reputable reports. I was able to convince my husband that I was unlikely to develop a blood clot and it was safe for him to be vaccinated the following week. There is still some risk from vaccines but it is very, very small and is greatly outweighed by the risk of catching Covid-19. Still, I'm hoping there will be further clarity before my sons get their turn.

Default !Re: Corona Virus

I got my second Moderna shot today! I'm so very happy. I feel relieved. I'm not letting my guard down nor am I planning any social events for a long time. But there is hope.

Now maybe I won't be in a panic attack anytime I leave the house. I've learned that I cannot trust other people to do the right thing. Where I live we are surrounded by fans of the former POTUS who also believe COVID is overhyped, hysteria, etc. Someday we plan to leave Rednecksville, but we are waiting for my mom to retire. My dad already has. No one around here wears their masks, no store enforce the corporate policy, and everyone is insufferable about COVID and vaccine conspiracy. It's a hotspot for the QAnon movement, I swear! If I hear the words: cabal, freedom, patriot, elites, pedo, microchip, etc ever again I'm going to hurl. They have ruined me on Patriotism. Now when I hear it I just picture the idiots that broke into the capital on Jan 6. And those aren't patriots! But it's a word that is getting way too popular as a way to defend nationalism and xenophobia nowadays. I hope that more and more and more people make the right decision to mask up, get your vaccine when you can, and follow the science. Yes, it changes. This is a NOVEL disease! They will change the guidelines and information as time goes on. We are still learning more about this virus. And with new variants on the way! When Fauci first said don't wear a mask in January last year, they didn't know one tenth of what they do know now. They clearly were wrong, because of lack of research. That's all!

Hopefully everyone in the world can get their vaccine sooner rather than later. Combined with mask wearing, social distancing, and doing the right thing we can somehow manage to get back to normal. But let's not get hasty and lose progress. We have to remove the BS from our minds, try to de-politicize this virus and forget about what the last guy said about it, and care for others by doing the right thing! I feel this virus has shown us that we are all human and fragile. Some of us are more fragile than others but this virus does not care if you are white, black, straight, gay, young, old, healthy, not healthy, republican, democrat, non-believer, believer. It's an equal opportunity killer folks.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy and are able to get a vaccine soon. I'm confident that by the end of this year, we should be looking better and that the massive amounts of death and near-death illness will diminish. 550k+ people have died. I get a little tired of people peddling false survival rates. 550k isn't nobody! And I don't buy for second they all were frail from the start. I've known of perfectly healthy people in our local area die from it. A young online influencer in the guitar community almost did. He was on ECMO and intubated and almost didn't make it. There is too much downplaying of this deadly virus. A lot of it due to politics and/or online misinformation.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."