Page 62 of 78 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

I finally got an appointment for today and when I got there, the line was insanely long. I had scheduled it between meetings at work and because of that, I couldn't wait! I was so frustrated! I made another appointment for the weekend after next, the J&J vaccine, but I'll take it. This all gives me hope that the end of this is in sight.

We could have a talk about all of these different vaccines and their method of innoculation and effectiveness comparisons but at this point I just want everyone vaccinated.

Moderna, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, whatever. Even the AstraZeneca vaccine. Although I am admittedly a little concerned about the reports of clotting trouble with AZ. It's interesting because that exactly what can happen in some COVID patients. They can develop clots even months after they so-called recovered. It's a tricky disaease. Still, I think the AstraZeneca (AZ) vaccine's effectiveness is acceptable. The benefit of people only having it do it once like with J&J and AZ is certainly a plus for some to choose those.

My mom, dad, and I all got Moderna in a 2 shot system. It has the highest efficacy rate but only by a percent or so vs Pfizer, which is another 2 shot system. I would have taken the Pfizer as well. I feel like with my health I'd benefit more from the higher efficacy rate of those two vs Johnson & Johnson, but for the majority of people it won't matter.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Taken both shots (Moderna). We are about a week out from the second one, a little sore arm, hubby was a little tired, but other than that no other effects. So glad to be vaccinated, hopefully more will follow and we can move back to a more "normal" life.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    We could have a talk about all of these different vaccines and their method of innoculation and effectiveness comparisons but at this point I just want everyone vaccinated.

Moderna, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, whatever. Even the AstraZeneca vaccine. Although I am admittedly a little concerned about the reports of clotting trouble with AZ. It's interesting because that exactly what can happen in some COVID patients. They can develop clots even months after they so-called recovered. It's a tricky disaease. Still, I think the AstraZeneca (AZ) vaccine's effectiveness is acceptable. The benefit of people only having it do it once like with J&J and AZ is certainly a plus for some to choose those.

My mom, dad, and I all got Moderna in a 2 shot system. It has the highest efficacy rate but only by a percent or so vs Pfizer, which is another 2 shot system. I would have taken the Pfizer as well. I feel like with my health I'd benefit more from the higher efficacy rate of those two vs Johnson & Johnson, but for the majority of people it won't matter.
    I thought about the lower efficacy of J&J, I could have had that or Pfizer. But I have to go an hour out of town to get it, for the group of essential workers I fall under, or wait a while for it to be available here, and only having to go once made sense to me. I don't have any health conditions so I think I'll be fine. My parents have both had the first shot, one got Moderna and the other Pfizer, and I'm glad they got the ones with higher efficacy.

LGG - I'm glad you guys made it through with no side effects! I'm glad everyone here is getting vaccinated, hopefully we will be back to some semblance of normal soon!

My response to the first Moderna shot was a slightly sore arm and that was it. About like a flu shot. Nowhere near as bad as the pneumonia shot (which I have to get a booster for this year ugh!). That is a painful shot.

My response to the second Moderna shot was interesting. I had mostly GI (gastrointestinal) side effects the day after. Nothing that night. When I woke up the next day I had a headache but I also had some upper abdominal cramping and nausea. No fever, chills, joint pain, etc. I ate a very light meal that day and that was it. I was a little tired also.

The stomach symptoms are interesting because sometimes COVID itself will manifest itself through stomach symptoms in addition or sometimes in place of the typical upper respiratory symptoms. You can get those exact symptoms with the real thing as well. What that means for me is that should I have stomach upset and nausea AND respiratory symptoms or feeling unwell in the future I should suspect that I'm one of the ones who has GI symptoms with COVID. Hopefully I never have to worry about it though! Not everyone gets the stomach symptoms with COVID, in fact more people don't than those who do. Yet, it is known and in St. Louis at Barnes they actually ask about GI upset in screening. I always wondered why since it's a respiratory disease in nature. I don't think it can travel through anything but respiratory droplets though so it's not like norovirus.

I hear Moderna is in clinical trials with their booster for the new variant(s). It would be a single dose booster type shot for those who have had their shots before. It's important not to mix and match brands, even with these boosters. I will absolutely take that booster should it become available and shown to work. However, there is early data suggesting that with the new techonology in the main shot it should offer decent protection against the known new variant. But I would be happy to take an additional booster.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

The message we are being given is although some vaccines are more effective at preventing symptomatic Covid,they are all effective at preventing serious disease and death, A study in Scotland, showed that in practice there was very little difference between the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines in preventing hospitalisation in the over-80s, and that the AZ might even have been more effective.

When the concerns about blood clots were first voiced, I thought they seemed like nonsense as I could see that the incidence of DVT and PE were lower than expected. However, the possibility of an increased risk of a rare kind of clot is harder to dismiss. However, it is still extremely rare and the risks to a 40-year-old from Covid are still much, much higher. I have faith that researchers are working quickly to determine whether there is a link and what could be done about it.

Our restrictions will be eased slightly from tomorrow - we will be allowed to have up to 6 people from different households in the garden and my son has already invited his friends round for a barbecue. Their last get-together was when the saw in the New Year in a field with a temperature of around 0C (32F).

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

From what I am hearing, Astrazeneca is a good and effective vaccine. However, the company hasn't done a very good job with communications. Unfortunately, here in the U.S., emergency approval for the vaccine has been delayed because complete research data was not provided. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.

And I got my second Pfizer dose on Saturday, and, fortunately, have had no side effects other than a sore arm and tiredness. I am very excited. It won't be long before most all my family will be fully vaccinated and we can start having family gatherings again.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Delighted you got your 2 vaccines safely Dreamer! Enjoy meeting up again.

Over here we are still on strict lockdowm with no possibility of leaving it soon. No family gatherings until at least the 12th April and then one household can only meet one other household and only outdoors but not in gardens. After that date 2 vaccinated people (maximum) can have a short visit to one of theit homes.

All non essential retail still closed and 5km travel limit still applies.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Sorry to hear you're in lockdown GA. We got very lucky Wednesday, through the CT vaccine portal, we got hubby 1st dose pfizer! the night before a clinic popped up that wasn't there previously Otherwise we'd have to wait a few more weeks...don't give up everyone keep checking! I'm worried since our state is now opening eligibility to 16+ it's going to be even harder to get appt. Congrats to all who have gotten theirs!

Got my second Pfizer dose on Wednesday. Had a cranky sorta headache yesterday, but that's hard to tell if it was the shot or just Ohio spring weather. Feeling okay today. Tomorrow is two weeks since hubby's second shot, so he's fully vaccinated now. Woo hoo!