Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Default Re: Corona Virus

I think with the ones offered here in the States that are two-dose (Moderna and Pfizer), perhaps it's not as strong on the first dose. I certainly wouldn't ever recommend only getting one. I think the fact people build more of a reaction to the second dose and usually never the first dose is a good sign that the 2nd dose is the one that does the heavy lifting. 95 percent effectiveness is a great metric for Moderna, and that's why I chose that over Pfizer, which last time I checked was 94.5. That's only a .5 percent difference but I felt like with my health I need all the help I can get. Still, they are very comparable. I would have gladly taken the Pfizer if it was between it and J&J. However, I wouldn't have taken J&J's vaccine unless it was the only option here and that it was confirmed to be the only vaccine available going forward at least for the short term. I'm definitely in the "get both doses of the two-dose system" camp for vaccines if you can do it. However if it's one dose or bust, obviously take the one dose. I just worry it's not enough for some.

For most healthy people, the effectiveness of the J&J here in the States is enough to keep you out of the ICU on a vent and keep you protected. If you are healthy, you might get away with no signs or only get very very mild cold-like symptoms if you've been vaccinated with J&J. However, the at risk crowd really needs more effectiveness IMO. It might keep them from dying, but they could still end up very very sick with COVID-19. Of course, if you can only get a one-dose vaccine (and it gets reopened in the US), is it better than nothing absolutely. But I think if at all possible, opt for Moderna first, Pfizer second, and J&J as a last resort. I realize that what I'm saying only applies to those of us in the US and those with multiple clinics. Hopefully a two-dose system will make it's way to other countries soon as I really feel it is the best way to go for the best protection.

I hear Moderna is working on a booster for the variants. Moderna and Pfizer use mRNA methods which can smartly pick up on similarities between the variants and the original, so there will be some degree of coverage against the variants. How much we do not know yet, but it's believed to give some level of protection on the variants. I'll gladly take a Moderna booster (likely one dose) to offer the best protection. The J&J and AZ shots using adenovirus are built to detect the original virus and not pick up on small changes.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-v...rkGzqUe_4V-FrM

This is excellent news for those that have taken the Moderna vaccine. I will take it as soon as it's available.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Still waiting here in Ireland too. Like in the UK we will be told what vaccine we are getting - we don't get to choose. That said I will be happy to take whatever is offered to me. Astrazeneca and probably J&J will only be given to the over 60s due to the fact that the blood clot issues (which are tiny really) seem to effect younger people.
    However we have abandoned the idea of prioritising different groups and are now just administering the vaccines on an age sliding scale.
    Hoping to get mine by June now ....... but we'll see!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, here in the U.S., even though we did a horrible job of managing the pandemic in 2020, we were very successful in developing highly effective vaccines. And we have also been very successful in administering the vaccines so far this year. Unfortunately, almost a third of our population still are reluctant to get vaccinated, and, supply will begin to outnumber demand for the vaccine in the very near future. Hopefully, we will turn our efforts now toward eliminating some of this vaccine hesitancy so we can achieve herd immunity and get this virus under control once and for all. And then, we can also begin shipping our vaccines to other countries throughout the world and help eradicate COVID across the globe. Hallelujah! for that day to come!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

J&J vaccines are now back in approved status in the US. I agree with GA that they should be more choosy on who they give them to about the possibility of clots. I DO feel this hasn't helped the antivaxers change their minds. But there are alternatives. Moderna, Pfizer, J&J here in the US. I do feel that they need to be careful about the J&J, but I don't think people need to be scared about the COVID shots as a whole. I feel it was the worst possible timing for this to happen. The conspiracy nuts wouldn't change, but the people on the fence I'm afraid we have lost, hopefully just temporarily. Better yet, I hope they just chose to get a different vaccine. But I know some will now not get any of them.

Dreamer - I completely agree with you! This fearmongering concerning vaccines as a whole has to stop. Some of it is politics (thanks #45!), some of it is conspiracy-laden, and some of it is just uneducated people not knowing enough about it and feeling unsure about taking it. I so long for the period of time where this is in our rear view mirror. I don't know if it will ever be eradicated completely, but we can certainly put so much of it behind us that no one will end up in the ICU on a vent or worse, die, from this terrible disease. We have to reach herd immunity and get shots in arms. That is the only way we will get closer to eradication or innoculation. Can you imagine if people thought other deadly infectious diseases were a hoax? Or that the polio or smallpox shot was invented by Gates/Soros/etc and has things in it be it a microchip or baby cells or something to sterilize you? Thank god this kind of insane thinking wasn't a thing back then or at least nowhere near as prevalent. We'd be talking wiping out a lot of the planet folks!

I truly believe this would not be near as big of a problem if the former POTUS had not politicized this or downplayed COVID from the beginning. Antivaxers have been around for years, true. But it was mostly a somewhat smaller group of people thinking they caused Autism led by celebs like Jenny McCarthy. So it's not like antivaxers weren't around before him and before COVID, but it wasn't near this bad. Part of it is vaccine fears and myths and part of it is denying or downplaying COVID existing period. They will throw up false survival rates and call it a cold. I will give Trump some credit for putting a team together to work on starting a vaccine but literally everything else from public education, his language regarding COVID, to the buying of doses and the rollout of the vaccines the team created - was a disaster to put it mildly. So glad Biden is trying to get us on track.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Hopefully, people in the US will look at the rest of the world and will see vaccines working. I read that Israel recorded its first day in 10 months with no deaths.

In the UK, the relatively low number of infections is probably down to the lockdown but hospitalisations and deaths are still falling despite the gradual re-opening. We don't seem to have too much of a problem with vaccine hesitancy but we will need a higher take-up than the US because many of us have had a less effective vaccine. By now, more than half of the population has received at least one dose, with 95% take-up in those over 50 and about 2/3 of those aged 45-49 (it's only been open for them for the last week). A recent survey suggested hesitancy in 1 in 8 of those aged 16-29 - but a more positive view is that even in that age group, some 87% are not hesitant.

My brother in Germany is having his first dose of AZ today. In Germany, it is not being give to anyone under 60 and there is a push to use up supplies on anyone over 60 and willing to receive it. As his two sisters and our husbands have had the AZ without problems, he may be less hesitant than many.

The news from India is disturbing but it's good to finally see some international action even if it seems rather puny. Perhaps I'm seeing more coverage of this (compared with South America) because of the large number of people with south Asian roots in the UK. I work closely with someone with family in Mumbai and Dehli and I'm almost afraid to ask if everyone is ok.

Yes India is really struggling with it right now.

The new variants concern me. We need herd immunity from the original variant, let alone all these other variants coming out. People are being selfish about the vaccines just as they were about the masks and lockdown. I'm reasonably confident that booster shots that contain coverage for the variants will be coming from Moderna, probably Pfizer too as you can't mix and match. So those who originally got one would get the same company's booster shot. I really hope it will be out by next year. I will certainly take it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Border Rebel

My wife and I finally got the Janssen vaccine today (one dose). My internist told me that this was the safest one for me as my whole family has autoimmune issues. I had no idea what to expect, but it wasn't bad. My arm felt that it had been punched for about 15 minutes after the shot, but went away quickly after that. The rest of the day I just felt more tired than usual, but that was it. Hopefully, tomorrow won't be worse. I'm just glad it's finally over.

I'm guessing that down the road we'll have to get another shot since this won't last forever, but I've heard nothing about this particular vaccine providing boosters so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    My wife and I finally got the Janssen vaccine today (one dose). My internist told me that this was the safest one for me as my whole family has autoimmune issues. I had no idea what to expect, but it wasn't bad. My arm felt that it had been punched for about 15 minutes after the shot, but went away quickly after that. The rest of the day I just felt more tired than usual, but that was it. Hopefully, tomorrow won't be worse. I'm just glad it's finally over.

I'm guessing that down the road we'll have to get another shot since this won't last forever, but I've heard nothing about this particular vaccine providing boosters so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    scottside - I heard all three are working on booster shots. Glad to hear you were finally able to get the vaccine.

And the news I've been waiting for - Pfizer will be the first to get authorization for adolescent COVID-19 vaccination. Excellent news for two reasons, they frequently are asymptomatic carriers for one. And for two, they DO and CAN die from it. Rarer than adults or seniors but they can. There is now a local teen in the ICU with blood clots in the lungs post-COVID. I expect Moderna to follow suit. Not sure about J&J with the blood clot stuff, but it looks to be mostly women who are middle age or older getting those, and it's still pretty rare.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/03/healt...fda/index.html
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger