Thread: Corona Virus

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Corona Virus

for shun and CA!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I got my booster after Thanksgiving and had side effects for about an hour. It was very bizarre, like a less severe version of the side effects I had the first time (I had J&J followed by moderna). Just in time for the omicron variant, the first case of which just came to my area. This feels neverending at times...glad everybody is staying safe here!

Stuck on the Border

My husband and I have now had our third vaccination. He received a half dose of Moderna whereas I had a full dose of Pfizer and was told I would get a booster in 6 months or earlier. This seems to be just in time as the latest report is that the AZ vaccine offers no protection against symptomatic infection with the Omicron variant and Omicron cases are doubling every 2-3 days. We're not in lockdown but we're back to a mask mandate and guidance to work from home if possible. Of course, that's no change for many of us.

Fingers crossed that Omicron turns out to be milder than Delta as early reports suggest.

So glad everyone has got their boosters!

I think the initial reports of Omicron being less deadly, but also being easier to transmit than Delta as has been said, and hopefully that holds up over time.

I'm certainly worried that until herd immunity is reached this virus will continue to mutate beyond what the original vaccines are able to cover effectively. It's one thing to get it and have a breakthrough infection and pass it along or have mild cold symptoms. It's another if you end up on BiPAP or a vent in the ICU. I don't mind the former although I'd prefer it not to happen but it's the latter that I need the vaccines to prevent. If you get everyone vaccinated and immune to it the sooner the better, the less variants will form.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

The day after I got my booster 2 weeks ago, I got covid. My uncle, who was unvaccinated, caught it and gave it to me. I managed to stay out of the hospital, but he spent a week in it. I'm about 80% recovered. Still haven't fully regained my sense of smell and am extremely fatigued, but it could be much worse.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG AG! Thank goodness you were vaccinated. Hope you have a full recovery soon.

I have a cousin that has been hospitalized for more than a month. Unfortunately, she wasn't vaccinated and we just found out this morning that the hospital has done everything they can for her, so she is being moved into hospice this afternoon.

It just boggles my mind that so many are willing to put themselves and others at risk of dying rather than get vaxed. I mean can they seriously believe that the vaccinations are riskier than the virus??? SO SAD!

ETA: Sadly, my cousin lost her fight against Covid last night. It sickens my heart because I truly believe her death was senseless and avoidable.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 12-19-2021 at 01:16 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yikes! I hope you make a speedy recovery, AG.

and I am so sorry to hear about your cousin, Dreamer.

Sorry about your cousin, Dreamer.
    I'm about as back to normal as I think I'm going to be for awhile. My sense of taste is back to normal, and my sense of smell is about 75% back (never ever thought I'd be grateful to be smelling my cats' litter box). Breathlessness and fatigue continue to plague me. I have asthma and damage from pneumonia from last year, so it's not an easy recovery. I'm just thankful that the vaccine did it's job, and kept me out of the hospital.
    -Kim-

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Sorry about your cousin, Dreamer.
    I'm about as back to normal as I think I'm going to be for awhile. My sense of taste is back to normal, and my sense of smell is about 75% back (never ever thought I'd be grateful to be smelling my cats' litter box). Breathlessness and fatigue continue to plague me. I have asthma and damage from pneumonia from last year, so it's not an easy recovery. I'm just thankful that the vaccine did it's job, and kept me out of the hospital.
    Does mean you are a Covid "Long Hauler"? Oh AG, I am so sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Elle81 View Post
    Does mean you are a Covid "Long Hauler"? Oh AG, I am so sorry!
    I honestly don't know. I'm going to set up a check up with my regular doctor tomorrow as a precaution and to have it documented in my medical records. (I didn't go to him when I was sick because I did everything they told me to do if I got it, and I started getting better a week after I tested positive).
    -Kim-