Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475767778 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Corona Virus

that you will have a complete recovery and feel better soon, AG.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm glad to see things doing a little better in the US regarding COVID. However, I'm concerned that a new variant could relapse us back into the thick of it. I have mixed feelings on the lessened restrictions - I just think it's still best for now for masks to be worn and being smart about things. I'm definitely wearing a mask in public for the forseeable future.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm still wearing masks as well, Austin, since I am still caring for my ill sister. Even though I'd much prefer to throw them away, I guess I'll be wearing them indefinitely.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I'm still wearing masks as well, Austin, since I am still caring for my ill sister. Even though I'd much prefer to throw them away, I guess I'll be wearing them indefinitely.
    Same!

I think a lot of the anti-mask/anti-vax crowd think we love wearing masks regardless and want to wear them for virtue signaling. Nope, but we want to stay safe and do the right thing to keep others just as safe.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I was reading this whole thread over the last couple days from post 1 until now.

I made this comment on March 18, 2020, right after it all started and there was only a couple hundred deaths here. I had factual evidence that it was a serious problem that *could* spiral further out of control, but I'll admit a lot of it was hypothesis and trying to make an educated guess as to what could happen. But I was confident in my views.

I feel like like this time period will be an exclamation point in the world history book. Time will tell, but I don't have a good feeling about this whole thing.
    I was unfortunately right. Very right. Almost a clairvoyance. I just had a gut feeling that I was very sure of myself about and I was right. I'm not always right, but I doubled down on COVID being a history maker and it was. Make no mistake, COVID will forever be in the history books along with things like the African Ebola outbreak, the plague, etc.

I hope we get closer to C19 being an endemic and we can get more and more people vaccinated and boosted and we can stop this. We are almost at 1 million deaths in the US alone. I hope we learn from our mistakes and that those deniers will not make the same mistakes twice. But who am I kidding - they still like to downplay it. Bash the vaccine, bash mask wearing as weakness, call the people taking it seriously cult members, etc, saying death numbers were inflated for money, saying it was created on purpose, attacking the experts, etc. So many people will have learned nothing from this. And we know history repeats itself if that is the case. We will hopefully have a better President in office when the next pandemic happens and he/she and their followers don't make it a political game like the last guy did. Hopefully it never will happen, but I think it's a given that at some point in the history of mankind, another one will come along. Maybe not in my or those reading this's lifetime but it will. And I just hope the people alive in that time are smarter people.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 04-12-2022 at 07:48 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Hi Austin - how are you doing ? JMHO but I don't count on people learning from this. People are creatures of habit and fall back to old behaviors. Here in NJ almost 80 % of the people are vaccinated but appear to be covid weary. Although I wear a mask all the time and it is still required on all public transportation and in some stores, a lot of people are no longer wearing masks. The last couple of weeks cases have increased again - there were 1,400 new cases yesterday. Covid is here to stay and I think it is just a matter of time until we have the next surge in new cases.

Stuck on the Border

In the UK we seem to have a "new normal". Nearly all restrictions have been lifted and although a lot of people are still wearing masks in shops, a lot aren't. Testing is no longer free. It also seems like every day someone I know has Covid. The most recent statistics showed around 1 in 13 currently had Covid. I was one of them. I went into the office for the first time in two years and a week later I was testing positive. I was triple-vaccinated which is no doubt why it was mild and more like a moderate cold with a three-day headache. Now I'm on the other side, I'm feeling relieved and less worried. I'm still going to wear a good (equivalent of N95) mask in shops and avoid crowds.

One thing I've learned is that a negative lateral-flow test doesn't mean you don't have Covid. I had a sore throat but tested negative on a lateral flow. As my husband's LF was positive, I did a PCR test straight afterwards and it came back positive. My sister had dinner with friends who claimed to "just have a cold" and to have tested negative but two days later they tested positive. With the current varient (Omicron B2) it seems like the symptoms (which are similar to a common cold) come before the LF can detect the infection.

If you are not already fully-vaccinated, my recommedation is to get it done asap. You may still get infected but it's highly probable it will prevent you becoming seriously ill.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi Austin - how are you doing ? JMHO but I don't count on people learning from this. People are creatures of habit and fall back to old behaviors. Here in NJ almost 80 % of the people are vaccinated but appear to be covid weary. Although I wear a mask all the time and it is still required on all public transportation and in some stores, a lot of people are no longer wearing masks. The last couple of weeks cases have increased again - there were 1,400 new cases yesterday. Covid is here to stay and I think it is just a matter of time until we have the next surge in new cases.
    Hi! I'm doing ok, hanging in there.

And I completely agree. It's going to keep happening until become stop being people. Like my endocrinologist said quite bluntly recently during an appointment when we were discussing when to do my upcoming 4th shot/booster. He said humans are supposed to be the most intelligent of all animals but yet we rarely show it or exert more brainpower than a gorilla. He also had some strong words for doctors and nurses who are COVID deniers or people who join up with political figures to downplay it and trash their own people. He said just because they have an MD or RN after their name doesn't make them right, doesn't mean they are as smart as you'd think, and basically that those that are spreading misinformation, downplaying COVID, and buddying up to the last President - were stabbing their profession in the back and they are a stain. God do I love him.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    If you are not already fully-vaccinated, my recommedation is to get it done asap. You may still get infected but it's highly probable it will prevent you becoming seriously ill.
    Amen, UtW.

I think the number of people who are vaccinated that are catching it are lower than the anti-vax crowd professes, but even if there are some stray breakthrough infections, almost no one is going to be getting seriously sick, ventilated, and die from it. Especially if you've had a full set and continue to get boosted as needed. The amount of side effects with these vaccines are also way overblown but I knew that was coming. At some point the narrative had to be that you'll still get sick or you'll die/become infertile/be traceable/etc if you get the shots. It was no longer enough just to say I don't want it. They had to create a ton of conspiracies just like they did about numerous other things.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Everyone I know who has caught it recently has been fully vaccinated... but then probably most people I know have been fully vaccinated! It's one of those statistical quirks that the majority of people in a highly-vaccinated population who get Covid will have been vaccinated.