Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Dylan Mentions the Eagles in Epic New Song

Default Bob Dylan Mentions the Eagles in Epic New Song

Well, not the “Eagles” literally but Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Take It to the Limit!

Yesterday on Twitter, Mr. Dylan announced the release of a “new” song about the Kennedy assassination and he name-drops a lot of cultural references, including movie titles and songs. Imagine my surprise when I hear the Eagles reference! There is speculation that the release of a song about a seminal historical event is intentional given the current environment.

This 17-minute song titled “Murder Most Foul” gave me chills the first time I heard it, and I’m not even a big Dylan fan. The Eagles reference is at 11:37.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Bob Dylan Mentions the Eagles in Epic New Song

Jiminy Christmas, I didn’t know Dylan was on Twitter. I’m gonna check that out. Thanks, Delilah! Hey D., if/when you’ve got the inclination, I added two little morsels to Randy’s discography and tv appearances in their respective threads.

P.S. God bless Dylan for remembering Carl Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Jiminy Christmas, I didn’t know Dylan was on Twitter. I’m gonna check that out. Thanks, Delilah! Hey D., if/when you’ve got the inclination, I added two little morsels to Randy’s discography and tv appearances in their respective threads.
    Great, I will check them out!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Thanks, Delilah. It's a difficult song to listen to...the graphic nature (and length) limits it.
    I know he was making a statement. I wish instead, our guys were referenced in a breezy, fun song about the '70s.
    But he doesn't exactly write that type, does he?
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Wow!

I'm not a fan of Dylan as a singer, but his songwriting is really second-to-none. I love when other artists cover his great songs. His voice can be a little nasally for me (same reason I want to shoot myself when I hear Jennifer Nettles sing!). I find this song to be pretty moving. It's definitely different, but that's ok. I'm sure it's not, but at least to me a 17 minute song has to be some time of record. Certainly long, lol.

The JFK assassination has been a topic I've researched a lot over the years. Countless YT videos, articles, podcasts. Even looked at the released documents such as the Warren report, House committee report, review board report, declassified memos, etc. While I'm not a member of the Tin Foil Hat Society, I definitely believe his assassination was an inside job and will hold that belief to the day I die. I also believe the same people who ordered it done on JFK are the exact same people who ordered it on RFK. RFK was set to be the next president. Much like JFK, everyone loved RFK and wanted that back in the Oval Office. I'm not a conspiracy theorist except when it comes to the Kennedys. To me, if you look at the information - particularly surrounding the Zapruder film, the autopsy, etc - you will find out that someone wanted these things to be "doctored" to look like the TSBD and Lee Harvey Oswald was really the source of it and to deny the Grassy Knoll shooter/multiple gunmen idea. Jack Ruby wanted to silence Oswald, but on the way to the jail Oswald claimed "I'm a patsy!". If there is enough interest in a debate about this, I would be open to creating a thread for it. I think it's a fascinating topic. While I'm normally not interested in forensics, I am here.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I’d be open to a thread about it. Austin, I’d be interested to hear what the possible motive would be to assassinate the Kennedys?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting this, Delilah. I listened to a couple of minutes of the song, but I agree that Dylan singing for 17 minutes is a little too much for me to take. However, I also think he is a brilliant songwriter, so I am going to try to find the lyrics to the song on the internet and interpret the song that way.

I was very young when Kennedy was elected president and had no real concept of politics at the time. But, like so many in my generation, he inspired me to pay attention to what was happening in the world. He was assassinated the day before my 12th birthday, and like most of the country (and world), I was devastated. 9/11 is the only other event that has come close to uniting our nation in my lifetime.

I am not a conspiracy theorist either. Being young and naive, I always accepted the results of the Warren Commission's report. However, when I was working in Dallas in the mid-90's I was able to visit The Sixth Floor memorial museum where JFK was assassinated and that made me doubt things that I had previously accepted as fact. I don't have time to go into details now, but I can share more thoughts later either here or in a new thread if Austin wants to start it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dreamer, I’d be interested to read about your impressions, especially regarding your 90s visit.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I’d be open to a thread about it. Austin, I’d be interested to hear what the possible motive would be to assassinate the Kennedys?
    Sure! I'll post it in "Wonders At The Powers That Be"...

Just to give a brief overview - I think he had peed in the cheerios of the intelligence community. Not invading Cuba, no support during the failed Bay Of Pigs op, his policies and thoughts on things like that made him an enemy. Then there's the whole LBJ losing his VP slot in the upcoming reelection. It's all a part of it, but I truly do believe a lot of it had to do with his relationship or lack thereof with agencies like the CIA.

I'll quote this in the new thread.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."