Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from the Hotel California, where you can check in but you can never leave

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Default Re: Greetings from the Hotel California, where you can check in but you can never lea

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Ha ha! Red Baron pizza, I have 2 in my freezer Walshfan88!. I've been playing more guitar as well, and dusted off an old Mel Bays book i write songs in back in the day and revisited that. Last week we had appliances delivered, I was worried that wouldn't happen, but it went smoothly. Juggling work and Trying to keep kids busy, had them write an old school fan letter to a star they like, ha ha, Also writing letters to friends, gives them something to do instead of computers/phone all the time weather has been a lil cruddy, yet yesterday was nice and went for a hike.

Hi Copper!
    Hmmmm...
    You've got me thinking, I have a book on learning how to read music that I might dust off. I can sight sing, but playing an instrument??? Fugiddabotit!!
    I tried to take a guitar class in college. But my brain has a really hard time when numbers & letters are mixed together. To say the least, I was lousy at math in high school, especially algebra. My math scores on the SATs kept me out of the University of California system. I was still a good student, though. I graduated mid term from high school in 1974, moved into my own apartment and thought about moving to L.A. and hang around the Troubadour,& Whiskey A-Go Go and either be a groupie or find a rock star to marry.

Fortunately ( or maybe unfortunately) , fear prevented me from taking that leap, and I met my first husband, (which turned out to be the unfortunate part--we divorced 10 years later) who was ..you guessed it-- a musician!
    I didn't go to college until I was almost in my 50's. I graduated in 2012.
    So my point is, learing to read music might be something to do besides watching TV, sewing masks and watch my Kevin (who looks kinda like Jackson Browne, by the way
    ) dink around the house. Kevin has been furloughed from his job as a baker at Panera Bread.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Greetings from the Hotel California, where you can check in but you can never lea

Austin your kitty is adorable ! Alas, I am severely allergic to cats. I am also allergic to dogs but not quite as bad as cats. Funny how a person's body changes - I was never allergic to either as a kid. We had both a dog and a cat. My sister has a dog that does not shed so it does not bother me. He is a cutie - his name is Max and he gets all excited when he sees me. I love that little dog !

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    Hmmmm...
    You've got me thinking, I have a book on learning how to read music that I might dust off. I can sight sing, but playing an instrument??? Fugiddabotit!!
    I tried to take a guitar class in college. But my brain has a really hard time when numbers & letters are mixed together. To say the least, I was lousy at math in high school, especially algebra. My math scores on the SATs kept me out of the University of California system. I was still a good student, though. I graduated mid term from high school in 1974, moved into my own apartment and thought about moving to L.A. and hang around the Troubadour,& Whiskey A-Go Go and either be a groupie or find a rock star to marry.

Fortunately ( or maybe unfortunately) , fear prevented me from taking that leap, and I met my first husband, (which turned out to be the unfortunate part--we divorced 10 years later) who was ..you guessed it-- a musician!
    I didn't go to college until I was almost in my 50's. I graduated in 2012.
    So my point is, learing to read music might be something to do besides watching TV, sewing masks and watch my Kevin (who looks kinda like Jackson Browne, by the way
    ) dink around the house. Kevin has been furloughed from his job as a baker at Panera Bread.
    MarthaJo, I would have LOVED your plan to hang out at the Troubadour or Whiskey! I think we would have been BIG TROUBLE together back in the day!
    (My husband is on furlough, too.)

Last edited by LuvTim; 04-07-2020 at 08:57 PM.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

So last week we baked cookies and then I went online and ordered Girl Scout cookies! Being at home so much is going to turn me into a sugar junkie!
    (We have definitely increased our exercise time to try and make up for it, but still.​)

MarthaJo....It’s never too late to learn anything! I love playing guitar. You can try learning with tab instead of official sheet music. I saved my old Guitar player for the practicing musicians, and guitar school. Was thumbing through those too. I used to jam in my room as a teen, with the Hotel California poster from the album on my wall (which I can’t find now) Just dying to play an ounce as good. And ya if I can only hang out at the Troubadour and Whiskey too back then. Whew

luvTim, lol regarding cookies! My darling daughter keeps baking stuff cookies and what not. I’ve been a good girl and since November, I’ve been determined to get back in shape. I must admit the concert was a HUGE motivation and I did loose 26 lbs.....but gosh darn it, she won’t stop baking stuff!! She’s a sabatour (sp?)

Stuck on the Border

Yesterday, I took part in a yoga class over zoom. I didn't have my camera set up but maybe I'll be more brave next time. These are people who are used to seeing me in the flesh so it shouldn't scare them too much. I've done a lot of cooking and I'm trying to be more imaginative with ingredients - if I'm missing something, I can't just head to the shop so I have to look for an alternative. I've baked a few cakes and maybe biscuits (cookies) will be next.

I debated posting this in the What's Happening In Your Life thread or here.

Monday, I fell in my bedroom on some spilt water, slipped, and broke my left femur. I was taken to the local ER and they transferred me onto the bigger trauma center where I had the hip replacements done in 2015 so I could have my own surgeon who've I've seen since I was a young teen. I trust him and he's my favorite doctor out of the hundreds I've seen by now. I wanted him if I needed any emergency surgery.

Long story very short, I am now home today on strict bedrest. We are holding off on surgery. They think although it's a clean break through and through, it's in a place that will heal on it's own and that having the replacement helped because it's holding the bone in a really great place. That strong metal being cemented there really is more of a good thing than if I broke it without a replacement. I figured the opposite. I shouldn't need a replacement revision, which is wonderful. And if I do need surgery, it will be called an ORIF and will basically consist of putting some plates in there to just support things and help it heal better.

With the CV thing, I couldn't have picked a worse time. It was a very traumatic experience for me that I will have to work through. It's taken very seriously here and when they say no visitors (including my parents of a disabled child), they mean it. When you hear the stories of FaceTime and all of that, it's the real deal. I'm just hoping like hell I won't catch the coronavirus. I'm taking some immune system boosters to help.

However, I asked my surgeon if COVID-19 wasn't happening, would he have taken me to surgery Monday night, and he said no, he still thinks it has a chance to heal with complete bedrest for a month. I also have a hairline crack in my sacroiliac joint on that side, which will heal without much assistance at all and is just an incidental finding. Hearing him say that made me feel 200 percent better. He's the nicest doc I've had.

I'm on strong oral pain medication of course and I'm being taken great care of by my wonderful parents and I've FaceTimed my close friends and other relatives. I go back in 4 weeks for XRAYS and a followup.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 04-16-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Oh, Austin... so sorry to hear! Take care. Do what the doctor says, let him know immediately if anything "changes." (Yes, I know you know that... shush and let me say it anyway!) Not sure what it would be, but if there's anything I can do, let me know.

And let us know how you're doing...

Good grief, Austin! So sorry about this! But you are up to the challenge. I agree with CAinOH, just follow doctor's orders. And keep a positive thought, as much as possible! YOU know that YOU have met these challenges before, and YOU can do this now! Loved hearing about your terrific parents who are there for you, always. Big virtual hugs to you and to your mom and dad. Hang in there!

Stuck on the Border

Oh no ! Austin I am so sorry to hear this. Please take care and like CA and LT said, follow doctors orders. You can get through this and we will be here for you. Sending hugs and best wishes.