Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: London, England 3-22-08

Default London, England 3-22-08

Hi everyone!

I came back from London yesterday night, so I'm gonna try to type up a review of the show. I hope my English will be comprehensible as I still have some difficulties sometimes...

Well at first, general remarks . The guys were all handsome in their black suits, so class! They all seemed to be in a really good mood, having fun as well with their new material as with their old songs. The new production (the lights, the screens...) were awesome!
    My friends could come in with cameras so I'll try to join a few short films if the quality isn't too bad, and I recorded some parts of the show with my cellphone - though, the sound isn't really great...
    We got at the O2 at 6.45 PM and joined our seats at about 7.00PM. I was pleasently surprised to see I was not so far from the stage that I imagined, at about 20 meters I think... So I had a really decent view and I could watch the screens to see the details

At about 7.45PM, the guys took the stage. I immediatly recognized their figures in the shadow, then the lights switched on and they started with How Long... I can't describe what I felt when I heard the first notes and saw them for the first time in the flesh in front of me... it was magic, I had the feeling I was as a kid on Christmas day
    Then, they did Busy Being Fabulous (useless to say they rocked ) and Glenn talked a bit. He introduced the Eagles as "the band that time forgot" if I remember well (I had to collect my wits at that time...) and if I'm not mistaken... He added they were gonna play two more songs from their new album "while they had our attention". (of course you have, guys!! )
    He introduced I Don't Want To Hear Anymore, and Joe went on with Guilty Of the Crime.
    Then, we heard the trumpet intro of Hotel California which made me litteraly shiver as usual... While they were playing, the cover of HC appeared on the screen.
    They went on with Peaceful Easy Feeling, really moving as usual... Glenn's voice was so wonderful... Then came I Can't Tell You Why with a perfect guitar solo done by Steuart, and One Of These Nights. The main screen showed a beautiful full moon, making this song even better than it is (though I thought it was already perfect by now!).
    Then came Lyin' Eyes... but I have to admit I don't remember if Glenn dedicated it to 'Plaintif' I was probably elsewhere... that's a lot of emotions in a short time for me!
    Don followed with The Boys Of Summer, which made the major part of the crowd stand up. By that time, the audience seemed to be more reactive, and we heard more people singing along with the guys.
    In The City was played then, with kind of sad pics shown on the screens... they rocked again with that one, but the pictures gave it a more moving tone, it sounded more deep...
    Don did a bit talking before the intermission, joking about the fact that during that time, we had to go to the merchandise point to buy their T-shirts, saying it was 'very important' (personally, I bought mine before the show, and a tour book just after ). He introduced The Long Run as their "theme song", and at the end of it, did kind of a different improvisation than usual... that was a GREAT moment...
    They came back 20 minutes later...
    But I haven't got time to write about the second part right now, so I'll do it a bit later, as soon as possible though...

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Great review Claire. Looking forward to part 2.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Lovely review Claire and your English is brilliant. I know exactly what you mean about the intro to HC! I felt exactly the same when it came on, nearly transported in time.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Great Part One of your review Claire. All this is so exciting!

Claire, thank you for your great review, and look forward to hearing the rest!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

First half, wonderful! And your English is impressive!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks! Here is the second part...

I didn't leave my seat during the intermission, I was too afraid of missing heir come back

The stools had been brought, and the spotlights switched on again in a beautiful purple color, while the additional musicians performed an instrumental. At the end of this intro, the guys began No More Walks In The Woods. Perfect voices, perfect harmonies, I just loved it! They were totally in it... Then followed one of the highlights of the show: Waiting In The Weeds. I wondered how it would sound live, as harmonies are quite special, and difficult. And it was just stunning! Guitar parts were wonderful, but that's when Tim joined Don in the last verse that I was really impressed. He did it perfectly, really.
    Glenn then introduced No More Cloudy Days, which had everybody singing along. Tim then spoke for the first time -great to hear him a bit! He said it was 'his turn to say hello', thanked the audience for coming, and introduced Love Will Keep Us Alive, saying he wrote it with Paul Carrack. He had a particulary good voice that night in my opinion!
    Glenn spoke then, introducing Take It To The Limit with his usual 'my wife calls it the credit card song' . I was really blown away by it, from the voices to the spot lights which were wonderful, blinking one by one and flashing between the 'take it' and 'to the limit' in the end of the song... Glenn did a longer break than usual between 'to the limit' and 'one more time' at the really end of the song, so that the crowd sang the last line without him, before he sang it himself with a huge grin... So cute and funny!
    Then, we heard the Long Road Out Of Eden introduction... I couldn't wait to see it performed live, so that I screamed really loud . The guy next to me looked at me, smiling, and told me 'I think you really like them...' How did he guess? lol! He was surprised that I came from France especially to see them, but that's the Eagles power (I thought of you MF who literally travelled the world to attend to the concert!). He kept repeating 'they are stunning, they are stunning' all along the show... Yes, they are, really! Well, I should come back to Long Road : Joe was doing the guitar solo, and improvised on a WONDERFUL bluesy tone... I had incredible shivers in the middle of the song, (you know, when it gets slowly and then that Glenn's acoustic guitar part begins to sound smoothly...). Steuart did an impressive job reproducing all the little sounds that are characteristics of Long Road... A masterpiece. I didn't expect them doing it so perfectly live.
    They went on with Somebody (I believe that they all took their jackets off at that time, except Joe), and I was blown away by it as well! I liked this song, thought it sounded great but hadn't really something special... I was mistaken!!! IT TOTALLY ROCKS! Glenn's voice, guitar parts... just WOW! They all seemed to enjoy playing it, having a great moment.
    Then came the first powerful notes of Walk Away... I've always loved that song, especially when it's performed live because Joe is totally in it, he seems to let his feelings go through his guitar part... And I wasn't deceived!
    Witchy Woman followed, I was so thrilled to hear some old stuff like that live! Awesome, with some changings on guitar parts!
    Glenn then introduced the band, dancing on the little drumbeats He said his famous 'I'm from Michigan where mother is half a word', and then let Joe speak. He dedicated Life's been good to 'those who never had a song dedicated to them' Of course, he had his helmet cam (though he had a cap and not a helmet ), and during the song, photos of the band in different eras appeared on the screen. That was funny!
    They continued with Dirty Laundry (Don didn't dedicate it that time) and we could see false covers of magazines with the guys ('Joe sued by a monkey'... 'Glenn wins Pebble Beach'.... ) Glenn played a really great guitar solo! Then came Funk #49, with the little funny acting between Joe and Glenn (Joe playing a riff, Glenn repeating it... and in the end Joe playing an AWESOME riff and Glenn giving up )
    They played Heartache tonight then, with that beautiful bluesy intro, and the crowd was really in it, standing up and singing, everyone clapping. I just LOVE this song
    Then began Life In The Fast Lane which rocked as usual... And they left the stage.
    The first encore included Rocky Mountain Way, with Joe's legendary guitar slide, and All She Wants To Do Is Dance... I took a look at Glenn's dancing, which was, I thought, a little bit longer than usual which isn't a bad thing at all!
    The second encore, Glenn thanked the crowd, wished us a Happy Easter said they were gonna play a 'really old song': Take It Easy... Then we heard the piano introduction of Desperado. Simply wonderful... and as you probably saw it in the video Soda posted in another thread, Don asked for more applause after 'let somebody love you' and everybody laughed...

The four of them finally came on the front stage and took a bow... I noticed Glenn blew a kiss to the crowd... so cute!!! And then they left...
    I applaused so much during the show that my hands were swollen

What a night! I definitely had THE time of my life, and I'm not totally back on earth I think...
    I now understand why I'm an Eagles fan and why I can be proud of it!

I hope my review isn't too long, and isn't too messy I did my best!

I these guys!!!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wonderful job, Claire! I enjoyed every minute and a detailed review of an Eagles concert can NEVER be too long! It's so great that you all share them with us, here, that didn't get to go! It sounds like you had a great time! I know you'll never forget it!

Thanks bunches!

Oh, and I love them too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

What a special night! Hearing all those new songs live, especially Waiting in the Weeds and Somebody, sounds like such a thrill. I'm glad the man next to you was a big fan, too. That makes it more fun. Thanks for all the details!

Seeing them live really does make you appreciate them even more!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Well done, Claire! Thanks for posting all those details!