Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Roxy, West Hollywood 4-11-08 (Benefit)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    PLS let out a gasp as she noticed that the license plate number on our vehicle began with the letters GLF – could that have been any more perfect!!! I don’t think so.

It just seemed the perfect ending to a perfect trip as we sat in the bar “where it all started” sipping our screwdrivers. Glenn Frey continues to amaze me each time I get an opportunity to see him. I can relate a lot to what the guy in Shwayze said, “I’ve gotta stop following major legends.”
    Dreamer, thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts on your trip. I quoted those two parts particularly because firstly, I can identify with the first paragraph - I had that feeling when I was preparing for London that things were just meant to be.

I love the way you ended your post too - the way you quoted one of the members of Shwayze - how appropriate. It is clear why Glenn continues to amaze you - he truly is a wonderful person.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Right, I downloaded SKOW over again and this time it worked. I've just watched it...

Glenn sure is some kind of wonderful. He has the energy of a man half his age. It seems sometimes that the guitar is holding him back - that he'd like to just let rip. His voice is so powerful and he is so charismatic. Lord have mercy on my heart...

Soda, Dreamer and PLS, how I envy you standing so close to him during his performance! But how grateful I am to be able share in those wonderful videos. Thank you so much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse
    Soda and PLS... OMG!!!! I had time to read some of the links Soda posted, and I'm stunned! I have NO idea you were "connected" to the man. LOL

That's so cool that he had dubbed you his Angles! Really, I'd be freaking happy w/that nickname. I didn't get to read everything... but hot damn... what I did read.

You ladies sure now how to work it.

Did you guys ever get pictures of you all together w/Glenn?

I'm impressed w/your dedication to flying all over to see the man.
    Oh, yes, that's me, a totally "connected" super-important insider....

NOT. lol

Believe me, I have no idea how to "work it"! We're just lucky that Glenn's such a great guy and so nice to his hardcore fans. We do have photos with Glenn - there's a few in the Pebble Beach thread.

As for flying all over - it seems that way, but really, I've only flown out to see him four times since I became a fan, and each time it was to California. Of course, I have also driven to Detroit and Canada, lol.

Since his solo shows are so few and far between, I jump on the chance to go to one when I can. It's not like the Eagles, who have been touring off and on for the past eight years. Who knows when Glenn will do another solo show.

He is such an amazing vocalist and musician, and a very compelling performer. Indeed, I can't get enough of his performances. He really takes it up a notch for live shows - puts it all out there, puts his heart into every song. His live renditions of You Are Not Alone and I Love to Watch a Woman Dance are incredibly affecting, as is I Dreamed There Was No War. He gets on the piano for solo shows - when he does The One You Love, it's staggering! He sings a lot more rock numbers for his solo shows, too - I love to hear him tearin' up Smuggler's Blues. He's always downplaying his talent as a guitarist, but when he does leads, he does 'em up right, and you get to see that more at a solo show. It's a completely different experience from an Eagles show, and I never tire of it.

He rocks and it's worth it every time.

Of course, this time, we got treated to two Freys and it only cost us 25 bucks! Now that's what I call a bargain!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You express your feelings so well, Soda. I can only dream of seeing one of Glenn's solo shows, although having watched his "Live In Dublin" DVD many times, I know just what you mean about Glenn solo being different from an Eagles experience.

He does seem to downplay his talents in order to showcase everyone else's - it is a wish of mine too that he play more lead guitar and piano at Eagles shows. As I recall, he only played piano once (on "I Can't Tell You Why") and did one guitar solo (on "Witchy Woman") at the 20 March London show.

I too cannot get enough of watching him perform - I've lost count as to how many times I've watched HFO and F1, as well as LID, and then there's the 1986 Japan concert... I can listen to his voice all day - just listening to his albums is an experience in itself. I remember one evening playing "The Allnighter" album three times without a break. He is so versatile and dynamic to boot - he is never boring. His enjoyment of his music is contagious - one cannot help enjoying it with him.

Soda, you shouldn't downplay your dedication - flying to see your hero four times is impressive, and so are your mammoth drives too. Glenn is a wonderful person and is lovely towards his fans, but I'm sure that your dedication has really touched his heart.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for your review dreamer! I'm so very of all three of you. What a wonderful time you had!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower

I'll do screen captures of that when I've regained consciousness, probably tomorrow.

Deacon really sounded like his father in IHYK. He will realise in time that the line is 'I could never be wit'choo' but apart from that...... and I loved how Dad helped him out in GOI.

As for SKOW oh man, oh man. It had everything. Moving his head around. Leaning back from the mic. Hand gestures.

Thank you so much, Soda.
    FP, you are so funny! And so clever, too! I know how you feel, though, girlfriend - I watched the videos just before I packed up at work yesterday afternoon, and was blown away by Deacon's talent at such a young age, as well as touched by Glenn's obvious pride at his son doing so well. It's so important for parents to support and encourage their children, and Glenn seems to be a wonderful father. I actually felt quite emotional watching the love between father and son.

For some reason SKOW didn't download properly (only got the first few seconds), so I'll have to do it over. Therefore I am yet to be treated by all those Glennerisms you mention! I look forward to it!

I really enjoyed watching Glenn watch his son. lol He was so very proud of him, he could have burst. As Cindy said to me later, it was a very special night. I was very impressed with Deacon's talent. (with all the kids I saw that night) It was so precious at the beginning of the show. Deacon was a bit nervous, I'm sure, and he was kinda of shifting his weight from foot to foot. I said to Soda,"I've seen his daddy do that!" and then when they started into GOI, which is when I've seen Glenn do that, I just about cracked up. Glenn was watching Deacon really intently and saying the words with him when Deacon seemed to get a bit tongue tied. I don't think Glenn's feet touched the ground as he flew the three feet or so to his mic and helped his boy out. So sweet!

During SKOW, when he sang the "chills" line he did a little shudder. (It's hard to see on the clip.) ...I think I did a little shriek.

A few other thoughts:
    I was kind of nervous taking pictures as we were right at Glenn's feet. In fact, I judged the distance and decided after Glenn left the stage I'd be able to reach a guitar pick if he dropped them as usual. Unfortunately for me, he didn't. I kept waiting for the "evil eye" or a head shake or pursed lips or even just a raised eyebrow letting me know he was unhappy with the camera, but he never idicated any displeasure to me. Of course, I wasn't using a flash so the pics aren't very clear. But then, maybe that's why he didn't seem bothered.

Deacon is an amazing guitar player! I was just blown away. As he played his solos, daddy was just grinning from ear to ear. Don Was seemed to also enjoy all the young talent surrounding him.

Before they ended their set with HC, Glenn did a bit of talking and then turned to the musicians to his left and asked if they were ready. He then turned towards Deacon and Nick Shapiro and asked if they were ready. Nick nodded, but Deacon gave daddy a very teenage "are you serious" look. I had to laugh.

I enjoyed watching Cisco and Shwayze even tho I couldnt' understand half the words. The problem with rap is I can't listen as fast as they talk.lol As far as rap goes, theirs was pretty clean. The best part for me was watching Shwayze's eyes. They were positively glowing with the joy of performing.

I was absolutely stunned when I turned to say something to Soda and saw Glenn coming thru the crowd towards us. He caught my eye and motioned to me. I went over and he hardly got two words out before Cindy stepped forward and introduced herself and she and I started talking as I shook her hand and Glenn just kinda stepped back. I guess he knew he'd never get a word in edge wise as two moms discussed the kids.lol After he had intro'd Deacon to us, I stepped around the others to say something to Glenn and as I reached him he gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek. Whatever I was going to say to him is gone forever. lol He is such a sweetheart. I used to think when he'd say how lucky he was to have found Cindy that it had to be the other way around. (as we've always said, she's the luckiest woman on earth) Having met her, Glenn is right. She is such a warm, friendly person. She didn't just put on a "PR" smile for hubby's fans. She was just as sweet and wonderful as can be. Smiling with her eyes. She radiated an inner beauty to go with how stunningly gorgeous she is. I can't believe that Glenn shared his family with us. I'm still blown away that he came out into the crowd to say hello to us. Granted, his security guard didn't have too much to do as most of the crowd probably goes to school with Deacon and didn't really care that his dad was walking around. lol But still...The man never ceases to amaze me.

For those of you who like Daniel Powter, this user has uploaded his performance at the Roxy on April 11:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lajeandaniel

On "Free Loop" I think the drummer's hair at 0:29 looks a bit like a young Don Henley, and you can see Shapiro's early 70s Glenn-hair at 3:00 (lol) - and of course, hear the guy play! Don Was is also visible in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister
    I enjoyed watching Cisco and Shwayze even tho I couldnt' understand half the words. The problem with rap is I can't listen as fast as they talk.lol As far as rap goes, theirs was pretty clean. The best part for me was watching Shwayze's eyes. They were positively glowing with the joy of performing.
    I guess it's all relative - but I still cringe when I hear these guys singing about "preying on sluts" and tattooing their names on girl's boobs. They did perform with spirit, though, no doubt about that.

Nothing to add to the Frey-centric part of the post!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for your review, too, PLS. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!

I would have died and gone to heaven right then if Glenn would have hugged and kissed me! What a night!

I'm surprised by the songs that Deacon picked to do. He probably thinks GOI and HC are pretty cool, rockin' songs even if his Dad did have something to do with them. Interesting that he chose Don's songs. He probably thought "I don't want do my Dad's songs! "

But, obviously, Glenn has spent a lot of time teaching him and working with him.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten