Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of Glenn's Life - 5 years later

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of Glenn's Life - 5 years later

Okay - Here is my favs list for my 2nd favorite Glenn solo album:

1. All Those Lies (the only solo song Glenn wrote by himself)
    2. I Found Somebody
    3. I Volunteer
    4. Party Town
    5. That Girl
    6. She Can't Let Go
    7. I've Been Born Again
    8. The One You Love
    9. Don't Give Up
    10. Sea Cruise

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My favs list for Glenn's second solo album:

1. Smuggler's Blues
    2. The Allnighter
    3. I Got Love
    4. Let's Go Home
    5. Lover's Moon
    6. Somebody Else
    7. Sexy Girl
    8. Better in the USA
    9. New Love
    10. Living in Darkness

My favs list for my 3rd favorite solo album:

1. True Love
    2. Soul Searchin'
    3. I Did It For Your Love
    4. Working Man (it rocks - although I love the slow version as well)
    5. Can't Put Out the Fire
    6. Livin' Right
    7. Some Kind of Blue
    8. It's Your Life
    9. Let's Pretend We're Still In Love
    10. Two Hearts

Click here if you want to listen to the alternate version of Working Man.

While this may be my least favorite cover art for any of Glenn's solo albums, Strange Weather is my favorite of any Eagles solo album. I absolutely love it from start to finish, so making a favs list is really hard, but here it is:

1. Part of Me, Part of You
    2. River of Dreams
    3. I've Got Mine
    4. Before the Ship Goes Down
    5. He Took Advantage
    6. Long Hot Summer
    7. Big Life
    8. Love in the 21st Century
    9. Brave New World
    10. Silent Spring [instrumental prelude]
    11. Agua Tranquillo [instrumental]
    12. Delicious
    13. A Walk in the Dark
    14. Strange Weather
    15. Rising Sun [instrumental]

And my favs list for Glenn's last solo album:

1. The Shadow of Your Smile
    2. After Hours
    3. Worried Mind
    4. For Sentimental Reasons
    5. I Wanna Be Around
    6. It’s Too Soon to Know
    7. Same Girl
    8. Route 66
    9. The Look of Love
    10. Here's to Life
    11. Caroline, No
    12. The Good Life
    13. My Buddy
    14. I'm Getting Old Before My Time

Finally Glenn has a change of heart and the band's 14 year vacation ends. Here is some of what Glenn had to say about the Hell Freezes Over resumption ...

"We've all grown up a lot. I don't live in the past. As far as I'm concerned this is Day One." (Hell Freezes Over rehearsal 1994)

"Maybe we'll try to keep the Eagles together a little longer than we anticipated. I thought the four studio tracks we did on 'Hell Freezes Over' turned out really good and I think it would be great to do an entire studio album. There's that possibility and I'd certainly like to talk to the guys about it. This is something people have been wanting us to do for 14 years. So we've finally gone ahead and done it. I think we'll go on for a while and then take a break. At some point, I think we'll talk about doing it again. We all remember what happened last time and we remember the good and the bad. And we hope that we are all older and more mature now and can learn from the mistakes. So far it has been great. But I think we are prepared, if it stops being fun, it will stop. Just as it stopped before." (The Long Run 1995)

"Our plan was to tour for only six months. We stayed together for an additional two years because we were having... gulp - dare I say it - FUN!! Granted, there was beaucoup cabbage involved but the main ingredient was fun - plus the fact that we were playing and singing better than we ever did in the '70s." (Artist's Notes 2000)

If you are interested in more quotes from Glenn, there are an extensive number of them on a lot of different topics here.

As it turned out, the HFO tour lasted for over 2 years. After it ended, the band took a much needed break. They closed out the decade with 'Their Greatest Hits 1972-1975' album being named by the RIAA as the best-selling record of the century. To top it off, they were asked to perform the New Years Eve Millennium Concert at the Staples Center in L.A. Unfortunately, this turned out to be Don Felder's last concert with the band. He was fired shortly after the first of the year for 'artistic' differences.

The Eagles opened the Millennium by releasing a 4-disc Selected Works box set, which included a 40+ page booklet about the band's history. Glenn penned the very reflective and insightful artist's notes for the booklet.

Booklet Pages 30-34:
    "But you can never leave..."
    An Artist's Notes

When the Eagles disbanded in 1980, it was with a whisper, not a bang. We did not go out in a blaze of glory. There was no "Farewell Tour," no "Final Concert," a la "The Last Waltz." It was more like we were put on stretchers and removed from the slopes of Mt. Moolah before we succumbed to the elements. Sleep deprived and lyric depleted, we were in every way exhausted. Our five-year climb to the top of the rock pile, and the four ensuing years spent trying to stay there, had taken a heavy toll on all of us. More tired than angry, more spent than last week's paycheck, we could soldier on no more. A year later, when asked how he felt at the time of the breakup, Don Henley said it was "a horrible relief." He's always had a way with words. For myself, I longed to return to sea level for a while. Having breathed the rarified air of the highest altitudes, I came to understand that no one can, or should, stay on the top for very long. Like climbing Mt. Everest, it's nearly impossible and, more importantly, you could die trying. So I went to Hawaii to recuperate from a nine-year fame and fortune bender. I remember being convinced at the time that the Eagles were over. I was sure I had strummed my last strum and oohed my last ooh in the aviary. I was positive my time as an Eagle had ended. I could not have been more wrong.

While the band did break up in 1980, our music continued without us. In the early '80s, "Classic Rock" radio stations started popping up all across the country. They played our songs constantly. Meanwhile, MTV was in its infancy and looking for videos of any kind to fill its 24-hour-a-day format. They found the live Hotel California film shot in Washington, D.C. by Vicki Hochberg, and they also dug up staged performances of The Long Run and I Can't Tell You Why, and put them in their rotation. It seemed like we were everywhere. It was becoming increasingly apparent to me that no matter where I went or what I did, for the rest of my life I would always be an Eagle. The band was not going away.

During my early solo days, I bristled at the two questions that seemed to be asked every time I turned around: "Why did you guys break up?" and "When are you getting back together?" My short form answer was something like: "It's none of your business" and "Never." As the 1980's wore on, my response to these oft-asked questions changed some. It was more like, "There were many reasons for the breakup -- too many to get into right now. But even if I were to explore this subject in depth, I doubt that you would understand. As far as us getting back together, well, the stars would have to line up just right... but I've learned to never say never." By the early '90's, the same questions were still being asked, but my answers changed yet again. I remember saying to someone, "I don't want to get into the negative stuff; it was only a small part of a much bigger adventure. Most of the time, we had a lot of fun." The words came out of me like an idle guitar chord. The almost sentimental thought surprised me. Another surprise at the time was the success of the LP, Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles (Eagles songs recorded by country artists). It was becoming evident to me that a lot of people in "The Great Out-There" still couldn't get enough of those songs, going back now more than twenty years. The stars were lining up. Just before Christmas, 1993, the Eagles agreed to appear together in Travis Tritt's Take It Easy video. It was an enjoyable day. The setup couldn't have been more perfect. We spent the day shooting pool, drinking beer and jamming. It was a good hang with old friends. The stars were now completely aligned.

As most of you reading this probably know, the Eagles reunited in 1994 to record and film the Hell Freezes Over project and then proceeded to tour the world for almost two and a half years. What you might not know is that our plan was to tour for only six months. We stayed together for an additional two years because we were having... gulp -- dare I say it -- FUN!! Granted, there was beaucoup cabbage involved but the main ingredient was fun -- plus the fact that we were playing and singing better than we ever did in the '70's.

On August 4, 1996, in Edinburgh, Scotland, we played our last concert. As tired as we were after six weeks on the road in Europe, it was still a great show. No one left the stage unhappy or pissed off. There was no dark cloud hanging over the band. We shook hands, hugged and congratulated each other on a job well done. There was no talk about the future; we all knew we needed a break. For me, it was very satisfying. We had pulled off what some called the biggest reunion ever and we succeeded beyond our wildest expectations. Everyone was pleased. The Eagles saga would now have a happy ending. The final chapter written, we could all move on.

Well, not exactly. The Millennium was just around the corner and as early as 1998, our manager, Irving Azoff, began prepping us for a possible New Year's Eve concert in Los Angeles. You remember the Millennium and the accompanying Y2K scare, don't you? The world was supposed to come to a screeching halt and everyone's money would be lost in some computer black hole. There would be no water or power -- and NO CABLE! I've yet to hear an apology, public or private, from a single one of those Y2K alarmists admitting their "Chicken Little" mistakes. I still wonder what they're going to do with all the canned tuna and toilet paper they amassed.

New Year's Eve 1999 was a unique time for musicians all over the world. Everybody had a gig. When the Eagles began rehearsing right after Thanksgiving, we all agreed we wanted to change our set list. We decided to work up songs we had seldom, if ever, played in concert. Those Shoes, Ol' 55, Please Come Home For Christmas and Funky New Year were all added to the set. We changed the arrangement for The Best Of My Love, reworked the jam on Funk 49 and revived Take It To The Limit with yours truly singing lead.

Five weeks later, after two warm-up shows in Las Vegas, we set our sights on Los Angeles. What troubled me most before that New Year's concert, besides the world possibly coming to an abrupt standstill, was the threat of terrorism. One of those "gutter-ific," television tabloid shows listed our Millennium concert at Staples Center as one of those top five sites for terrorism. Thanks a lot.

In my humble opinion, December 31, 1999 was the best 24 hours of live television ever. Afflicted as I was with bomb squad paranoia and screeching-halt syndrome, I turned on CNN that morning to see how the world was doing. I believe the first image I saw on the screen was of these beautiful dancers, live from Thailand. CNN then proceeded to show New Year's celebrations from around the globe -- time zone by time zone, country by country, continent by continent. I think I watched for about four hours -- and it wasn't even football! When midnight changed "snafu-free" in Moscow, I figured so much for the screeching halt theory. I showered and headed for sound check.

It rained the whole time during my drive to Staples Center. It was as if Los Angeles was cleaning up for her big night. I walked into the arena and suddenly realized that the Eagles were going to be the house band for the last and biggest party in town. I was overcome with emotion. I thought about luck and love, fame and failure. I thought about what our songs had meant to people throughout the years. I thought about the journey I had been on with my friends and how our friendships had survived and defined that journey. I felt deeply grateful.

The Eagles have always been a "Big-Show" band. Whenever we have had an important concert, we have, with few exceptions, risen to the occasion and responded with an inspired performance. For New Year's '99, we did truly save the best for last. The band has evolved and nowhere is that more evident than onstage. We now have a much greater appreciation of each other's talents. We share a keener awareness of one another onstage and we have a deeper grasp of what our music is all about. In perhaps our final hour, we had our finest hour. If there had to be a last show for the Eagles, I'd want that one to be it. Now, I'm not saying that was our last show. I know better. The stars could be doing a number again right now and, as always, I'd be the last one to know. There might even be some totally cool unwritten songs floating around in the cosmos that might want to zoom in on a Henley/Frey songwriting session. We had the last part of a millennium to get our act down, and a whole new thousand years just opened up. You never know how things can go... I'll just keep my eyes on the stars....

- Glenn Frey Los Angeles, October, 2000

You can read the entire contents of the booklet here.

Here's my list of favorite Glenn songs from each Eagles studio album:

Eagles LP - Take It Easy
    Desperado - Doolin Dalton / Desperado Reprise
    On the Border - Already Gone
    One of These Nights - After the Thrill is Gone
    Hotel California - New Kid in Town
    The Long Run - Heartache Tonight
    Long Road Out of Eden - What Do I Do with My Heart

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

With renewed energy, the band started the new century performing Millennium concerts. With their creative juices flowing, they began working on a new album, albeit it was a long process. In 2003, they released a 2-disc CD called "The Very Best of the Eagles" that contained another booklet with Glenn and/or Don commenting on each song on the CDs. You can read the content of the booklet here. They also kicked off a new tour called "Farewell I". In November, 2004, they taped 3 shows in Melbourne, Australia and released a 2-disc Farewell I concert DVD in 2005.

In 2007, the band released its first studio album of original material in 29 years, Long Road Out of Eden and followed up with an extended worldwide Long Road Out of Eden tour.

The band filmed the History of the Eagles documentary that was televised in February 2013, and released on DVD in April 2013. They began a 2-year History of the Eagles tour in Louisville, Kentucky on July 6, 2013. Bernie Leadon rejoined the band for the tour. Randy Meisner was also asked to join, however, was unable to do so due to health issues. The final show of the tour on July 29, 2015 in Bossier City, Louisiana was Glenn's last public performance.

In September 2015, Glenn and his family left to vacation at their home in Hawaii where Glenn became ill. He was flown back to L.A. for treatment, and then to New York City where his health continued to decline. Sadly, he succumbed to Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis, and Pneumonia on this day in 2016. He is sorely missed.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

For me, my favorite Glenn song from each Eagles album is:

Eagles- Take It Easy
    Desperado- Outlaw Man (actually my favorite Eagles song)
    On the Border- Already Gone (though I love James Dean, too)
    One of these Nights- Lyin' Eyes
    Hotel California- New Kid in Town
    The Long Run- Heartache Tonight
    Long Road out of Eden- How Long (Somebody, for a Glenn only song)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time