Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville, VA 5-21-08

Awesome reviews, Zermie and Molly! Thank you both! Molly, I hadn't grasped that this was your first time. So glad you enjoyed it, especially the new songs live.

If Glenn had really tripped up I'd have been onstage in a flash to render first aid!

Can't wait to read your review, dreamer, although it will be Sunday before I get a chance.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    We had an adorable little girl right in front of me (probably around 4 years old) and she knew the lyrics to pretty much every song. By the end of the night she had received waves and faces from both Timmy and Glenn and a pick from Tim. I tried to tell her she should blow them some kisses, but she was too shy for that.

They lost their suit jackets a little after the "seated" portion of the second half. Much to Karen Z's delight -Timmy left his shirt tucked in for a few songs so she could check out the tailoring on his pants.

Glad you enjoyed your first time (still waiting for mine I'm afraid). Now if that had been me, I probably would have beat up the cute little girl for the pick -oh I would of felt bad later but the heat of the moment would of gotten the better of me then! Sure can't blame Karen for checking out the "tailoring" on Timothy's pants -Who wouldn't?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Oh, Molly! What a wonderful first time for you! Sounds fabulous! Thanks for the review!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Molly, I am so glad you had a great time at your first concert. I loved your review.

Being a bit clumsy myself, I can relate about tripping over stuff. I am so glad that Glenn did not get hurt....

Molly, what a wonderful review! I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm so happy for you!

Wow, poor Glenn , nearly tripping over an amplifier! His heart must have been in his throat! At least he's okay (GEF, I can imagine how quickly you would have come to Glenn's assistance had he indeed tripped if you had been there! ).

When I read Glenn's comment after the crowd's response to his question about having got the new album, it immediately reminded me of his response to "Diane" on the Don Lane interview of 1988. One and the same! He's so sweet.

It's wonderful that a four-year-old girl knows lyrics to all the Eagles songs. What exquisite taste for such a young lady! I'm sure Glenn and Timothy were extremely pleased with her.

I can't wait to read Dreamer's account, especially after the previous wonderful review she wrote!

Once again, Molly, I'm so happy for you!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    We had an adorable little girl right in front of me (probably around 4 years old) and she knew the lyrics to pretty much every song. By the end of the night she had received waves and faces from both Timmy and Glenn and a pick from Tim. I tried to tell her she should blow them some kisses, but she was too shy for that.

They lost their suit jackets a little after the "seated" portion of the second half. Much to Karen Z's delight -Timmy left his shirt tucked in for a few songs so she could check out the tailoring on his pants.

Glad you enjoyed your first time (still waiting for mine I'm afraid). Now if that had been me, I probably would have beat up the cute little girl for the pick -oh I would of felt bad later but the heat of the moment would of gotten the better of me then! Sure can't blame Karen for checking out the "tailoring" on Timothy's pants -Who wouldn't?
    LOL, TBF! Now in my case, I found Glenn's neat seams in his pants very captivating...

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm delighted that you had such a great time girls and also that Glenn did not fall and hurt himself. I'm sure, had he you girls would have been there somehow to catch him .
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Here is a review of the Charlottesville show that was in my local newspaper. You can also view it online at the following link:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entert...5-22-0218.html

By BILL LOHMANN
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

CHARLOTTESVILLE --The desert highway is still dark, and the wind is still cool in their hair.

In other words, the Eagles have still got it.

The venerable band that captured the essence of the 1970s by inviting us into the Hotel California dropped into Charlottesville last night and put on a masterful show at the University of Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena.

A near-capacity crowd of more than 13,000 cheered every song -- old and new -- and set the tone early, offering a standing ovation before the first note was played.

Eagles guitarist and co-founder Glenn Frey spoke for his bandmates -- and undoubtedly a significant portion of the boomer-heavy audience, paying a top ticket price of $150 -- when he said from the stage early in the show that he not only was glad to be in Charlottesville, but "we're glad to be anywhere."

Frey turns 60 next fall; Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit are already there. But one of the best-selling bands of all time hasn't missed a beat, proving that by putting out "Long Road Out of Eden," their first album of new studio material in almost three decades last fall.

The band performed almost half of the songs from the new album, including the title track, a Henley commentary on war and imperialism that mentions Julius Caesar. It's a rare 10-minute song worth the time.

"How Long," a bouncy J.D. Souther composition, points to the band's early days, and "Busy Being Fabulous" is funny and biting at once. The best, though, might have been Henley's "Waiting in the Weeds," a beautifully haunting piece that in a live performance requires what Henley has termed "aerobic gymnastics."

The band was nattily attired in black suits, white shirts and dark-striped ties, looking more like accountants than a rock band. But they didn't play like accountants. The show really kicked into gear 20 minutes after it started when Henley put down his guitar, loosened his tie and stepped behind the drum kit. A trumpet intro led into the opening chords of "Hotel California," and the place, predictably, went wild.

Playing in some configuration or another since 1971, the band had a lot of ground to cover to please its ardent fans and gave it a shot, playing deep into the night.

Frey sang lead on several songs, including "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Lyin' Eyes." Henley offered his solo hit, "Boys of Summer." Schmit fronted on "I Can't Tell You Why" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive." It was the irrepressible Walsh, who really revved things up with a soaring version of "In the City" and the always-rousing "Life's Been Good."

A week into its U.S. tour, the band was backed by nine additional musicians, including the talented Steuart Smith, who has assumed the role of the discharged Don Felder and might as well be the fifth Eagle.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay folks - I know I promised to write more about the Charlottesville show, but Molly and Zermie already did a terrific job of covering the highlights of the show. Sorry if I diappoint any of you, but I only took a few notes before I got totally focused on the show. I will share a few observations about how the show and ILAA experience compare to the other shows I've been to.

First of all, just like after the other shows I attended, I have severe PEW. I guess that it doesn't get any better, no matter how many shows you attend.

As far as the ILAA experience, I am glad that I had the opportunity to do this at least once. The VIP treatment was nice, of course, and the dinner was decent. However, I'm not sure if I would ever do it again. I may consider it if I could get 5-star tickets again at $495, but I honestly don't think I would ever pay $800 - $1000. Our tickets weren't bad, except that we had the bad luck of being directly behind the tallest and biggest guy in our section. I have to admit though after having several shows under my belt, I am a little spoiled. I don't think I'd want to go to many shows unless I have really great seats. I think in the future I'll take my chances on Ticketmaster, eBay, or ticket brokers online. I've managed to get excellent seats in the past this way a lot cheaper than the ILAA tickets.

Now - about those suits! I'm sorry to say that seeing a live show did not change my opinion of them. Yes - the guys look very handsome in the suits and yes - it was fun inspecting the pants seams. However, I still am not a fan of them. I would much rather examine the thread count on a nice, tight pair of jeans. In all honesty, my opinion is not based totally on shallowness here. Part of what I always loved about the band is how they each used to express their individuality in the way they dressed on stage. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like my rock stars in uniformed, formal attire, and I never will!!!

One thing that Zermie mentioned that I agree with. I think this show had a higher energy level than the F1 shows I saw. It was fast-paced and the guys seemed to really enjoy themselves. I just loved the new backdrop and new songs. All of them were awesome live. However, I'm still trying tot figure out why they don't add I Dreamed There Was No War to the set list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

They wear their suits for the entire show? Nope definately wouldnt like that. I am another jean fan.