Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deacon's departure

Default Re: Deacon's departure

I wish Deacon well in his next chapter. He seems like a nice young man, and it sounds like he is feeling it’s time to move on and do his own thing. Good for him.

My cousins saw the tour recently, and they said that Don said something along the lines of “if we don’t pass this way again it’s been a hell of a ride”. That and Vince Gill doing Summer shows and talking about looking forward to getting back to his own music makes me think that within the next year they may be wrapping this up. The last ad I saw about the Las Vegas show said final HC shows of 2022, so I agree with edwardd19 that maybe they will do a final set of shows, and finally end the touring.

But who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Don Henley and Irving will be happy to capitalise on this as long as they can.
    Absolutely.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Personally I believe that this is a "this day was going to come" thing and there was no drama, but who knows.
    I would hope that was it. That's technically what I've wanted Deacon to do since Classic West/East. And if Deacon comes out and says it was on good terms, awesome. But then again I don't see Deacon wanting to air out dirty laundry in public, either. I think if Deacon himself came out in the open and talked about it, it would make me feel better.

But I think with removing Glenn's picture, saying Deacon was sick (when I'm betting he wasn't, I know it was just posted to social media but someone saying he was at a golf tournament is believable IMO with what we know now of him leaving), the long drawn out process of announcing it. Something just smells funny to me. I just don't believe he was sick, and then while off decided to quit. I just think it's highly unlikely. And we know how pleasant Don can be to work with. Vince is more of a lap dog in a good way. He's there to further his resume, play the songs he's always wanted to play (his own words), and be a salaried employee in a stable gig. He's not going to stir up trouble or push back much. He knows what his role is. He enjoys being in the band and if Don wants to rule the roost with an iron fist, that's fine. He wasn't a Frey and he certainly wasn't a longstanding real member of the band on any of their successful works. Don would have it easy with Vince and Vince would have it easy with Don. Don is lucky in that regard.

If Deacon was ready to leave the band in good graces, why didn't they just put out this press release back when he was announced to be "sick"? There would have been far less speculation and concert-goers would have had the truth much sooner. Maybe Don was mad that Deacon didn't want to wait until the last scheduled tour date to quit. I'm sure there would have been some guitar rehearsals between Steuart, Joe, and Vince to pick up the Deacon slack so to speak and certainly some extra lyrics for Vince to learn.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    I never understood what Vince's purpose was; perhaps they could predict this eventuality. Deacon should have been singing more/all of Glenn's songs.
    Someone said that on his last show, Deacon was particularly appreciative of the fans' acceptance of him, and how much he loved playing with the band...she thought maybe he already knew, and was saying goodbye.
    Now, what to do? Ah....doesn't Otis graduate this year?
    He has his father's blue eyes, and lighter hair.
    Seriously, I wish nothing but great things for Deacon!
    I couldn't agree more.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Fan View Post
    I wish Deacon well in his next chapter. He seems like a nice young man, and it sounds like he is feeling it’s time to move on and do his own thing. Good for him.

My cousins saw the tour recently, and they said that Don said something along the lines of “if we don’t pass this way again it’s been a hell of a ride”. That and Vince Gill doing Summer shows and talking about looking forward to getting back to his own music makes me think that within the next year they may be wrapping this up. The last ad I saw about the Las Vegas show said final HC shows of 2022, so I agree with edwardd19 that maybe they will do a final set of shows, and finally end the touring.

But who knows!
    It's really hard to speculate until Deacon himself says something.
    My view is that may be he really was sick, and realized that life on the road was not what he wanted. Even though he's young, he may be tired. Or really wants to do want to do things on his own and not constantly be compared to Glenn.
    His father's life is not his life. Touring is rough lifestyle and not for everyone.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I suspect that is usually the case, more information about Deacon's departure will eventually come out. I wish him the very best in whatever he decides to do next. He certainly is talented and has plenty of options open to him.

I pray that the band will call it quits after they play the remainder of shows that are currently scheduled. But I'm not going to hold my breathe for sure since I've been saying this since the Classic East and West shows in 2017. I think if they add any more of the current Hotel California shows beyond June, then all bets are off.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I suspect that is usually the case, more information about Deacon's departure will eventually come out. I wish him the very best in whatever he decides to do next. He certainly is talented and has plenty of options open to him.

I pray that the band will call it quits after they play the remainder of shows that are currently scheduled. But I'm not going to hold my breathe for sure since I've been saying this since the Classic East and West shows in 2017. I think if they add any more of the current Hotel California shows beyond June, then all bets are off.

I noticed that the Vegas show is the last of the "Hotel California" specific shows, so none in Europe in June. Since they have hung in for this long, they could have one last blowout here.
    Yes, Deacon has many options. I fear the dreaded (in my mind) hip-hop or rap, since he has friends in the community and has produced them. But Deacon sings really well, and is charming and good looking. All would be lost IMO on the sullen and angst ridden rap. There seems to be a recent surge of interest among young people in old-style rock, and I would love for him to bolster the sagging rock genre with his fresh face and talents. Unlikely, but hope springs eternal! I hope he will be happy in whatever he does. I wonder if Taylor will act, write, or teach again, assuming she left the tour as well?
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Fan View Post

That and Vince Gill doing Summer shows and talking about looking forward to getting back to his own music makes me think that within the next year they may be wrapping this up.

But who knows!
    You never know. Timothy has also just released a solo album...

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    All would be lost IMO on the sullen and angst ridden rap. There seems to be a recent surge of interest among young people in old-style rock, and I would love for him to bolster the sagging rock genre with his fresh face and talents. Unlikely, but hope springs eternal! I hope he will be happy in whatever he does.
    I can't agree more, FF. Rap is such a toxic genre. EDM/electronic a little less so, but still. It would be a shame for Deacon to stop singing and playing guitar in exchange for computerized beats and miming bad lyrics. That said, if he does go into rap/hiphop/EDM I just hope he brings some class to it. I think the younger generation liking older rock is a bit of a nostalgia thing and a certain type of person. I'm certainly that way (although I'm not "young" young anymore, lol). But those people are the younger people finding vinyl records, and embracing a lot of old school entertainment, art, etc. It's not as prevalent as I would like but I'm just so glad there are still those under 40 who like this stuff. Because it's real music. Not robots, not trashy. People in a room making music and inspiring others and bringing the joy of music to others. You don't get that in popular music.

It's not just sullen or angstful, that's how I'd describe the Nirvanas of the world. It's sullen, angstful, angry, and often very toxic with lyrics featuring misogyny, violence, and pretty much non-stop profanity or vulgarity. I'm no prude by any stretch and I'm certainly not a clean mouth all of the time, but when every other word you "sing" is profane, it shows a lack of intelligence and the ability to to think of something provocative in thought without resorting to the gutter all the time as your only source of inspiration.

There's a big difference between one line in your rock song saying "I'm gonna find your inner child and kick it's little @ss!" or a song with a double entendre that makes you stop and think vs a "song" with every other phrase containing expletives or outright vulgarity that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination and provoke 0 thought or meaning.

I'm just glad Deacon is moving onward and forging his own path. I think it will serve him well and I wish him the best of luck in whatever endeavor he chooses.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

There's a big difference between one line in your rock song saying "I'm gonna find your inner child and kick it's little @ss!" or a song with a double entendre that makes you stop and think vs a "song" with every other phrase containing expletives or outright vulgarity that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination and provoke 0 thought or meaning.
    Yes. I don't understand why in this era of political correctness, me-too, and anti-bullying that rap is still popular. You hear ugly talk about various racial groups, glorification of crime + gang behavior, and especially callous victimization of women. The anger and foul language feel like an assault to the ears. It's not edgy, cool, and real. IMO, it's hateful, degrading and hurtful for the most part. I'm amazed at award shows to see women cheering women presenting themselves as objects, and men calling them "HOs".
    Rock or Country-rock, Deacon. Please.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."