Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Deacon's departure

Default Re: Deacon's departure

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I don't consider them the Eagles either, but I just wanted to keep my "aged well" comment separate from that. I deliberately said Don, Timothy and Joe have aged well; not "Eagles" or "they". People already know how I feel about the "band".
    Oh I know that chaim. I was referring to NKIT's comment about those guys making it perfectly clear they are the new Eagles.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - Since my views align with the 'No Glenn, No Eagles' crowd, I won't even elaborate any further other than to say, they sure didn't waste anytime scheduling a new photoshoot did they??? However, to be fair, I guess they need to make sure ticket buyers know that they won't be seeing Deacon.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Oh I know that chaim. I was referring to NKIT's comment about those guys making it perfectly clear they are the new Eagles.
    Ok, just had to make sure that my opinion hasn't changed, since I did say "I guess they are the Eaglew now". They're not for me, of course.

Deacon made a brief surprise appearance at the guys' show in Arnhem, Netherlands. Some had heard the rumor that he had gone to Europe to see the Rolling Stones, but they had to cancel due to Covid.
    Whatever, Deacon was not angry at the band as some suggested, or he wouldn't have accepted Don's invite to guest so soon.(IMO). Someone said they showed Glenn's photo again. (It was not shown after Deacon left the group.) Oh, yeah. That guy.

https://bestclassicbands.com/deacon-...yRIoCS6K-R8MB8
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

It's a good thing if it was an amicable split. Maybe Deacon realized he didn't want to be a caricature anymore and left with the blessing of Don. That certainly paints Don in a somewhat better light and it also means that apparently Deacon is still in Don's good graces despite leaving mid-tour.

However, it is *very* upsetting to me as a Glenn superfan that they are only apparently showing his picture whenever Deacon is onstage. Oh, Deacon's here - better show a picture of his dad (who happened to be the band's founder as he asked Don to start the band with him and not the other way around). How about show Glenn's picture regardless! Every show. As it should be. Grr. Things like this aren't good for my blood pressure.

Stuck on the Border

Well, it is nice to hear Deacon made the surprise appearance with them. Good to know he is apparently in good health. IMHO Deacon made the right decision. It was time for him to strike out on his own. I can't see them touring much longer as Don, Joe & Tim are 73-74 now. And, Austin, I agree, they should be showing Glenn's picture for every show but obviously that will not happen without Deacon playing with them. Oh well, it is what it is......

Stuck on the Border

I never thought they fell out, but yeah, it's hilarious that Glenn's picture comes back when Deacon joins them onstage.

Word is that Deacon showed up at the band's Liverpool show as well. A lot of complaints from fans about the audience---pretty much acting like they were at a carnival from the sound of it. (constantly milling about, getting more drinks, shouting lyrics, talking loudly, etc.) Don probably wished they WERE taking pictures, lol! Unusually, they closed with Deacon on Already Gone, (after Hotel California, Rocky Mtn. Way, and Desperado.)
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Word is that Deacon showed up at the band's Liverpool show as well. A lot of complaints from fans about the audience---pretty much acting like they were at a carnival from the sound of it. (constantly milling about, getting more drinks, shouting lyrics, talking loudly, etc.) Don probably wished they WERE taking pictures, lol! Unusually, they closed with Deacon on Already Gone, (after Hotel California, Rocky Mtn. Way, and Desperado.)
    Well isn't that something....

Methinks Deacon and/or Don needs to make their mind up. I mean that's now two shows and no longer a matter of being in the same place at the same time. Maybe the audiences were waning without Deacon or maybe Don was feeling guilty or just maybe Deacon missed the attention/spotlight.

If he continues to follow them around like a lost puppy then I think something is up. I mean if you are going to be there, just sing the songs again and play and be a team player. If you are ready to move on, then by all means do so and leave the guest appearances to be a lot more sparse.

I begrudgingly watched some Already Gone footage where Deacon was "guesting" and made an observation. They really have changed up and IMHO screwed up their guitar roles! Steuart is now trying to wear all the hats. He's now playing parts in songs someone else played last month!

On one guitar you have Vince Gill doing next to nothing, another guitar Joe Walsh is barely playing rhythm and now doing no intro licks or anything, and you have Steuart Smith trying wear all of the hats. He's taken over Joe's intro lick, but that means he only plays the first half of it so he can jump back in with Don Felder's rock lick that followed up Bernie Leadon's original country lick. I personally do that at shows a lot when I'm the only one who knows any of the intro parts and so I combine them like Steuart is doing now but why the sudden change?! Is Joe having issues?

Why would he after so many years quit playing that classic country intro descending da da da lick that he's always played since Bernie left? And if Joe isn't doing it because he can't anymore, why not give it to Vince to play? I mean I think Vince Gill is a sly dog disguised as a humble guy and a lot of people fall for it but the man can play country guitar more than adequately! That would be a cake walk for him to play that intro. Throw him a bone and let him play something. And let Steuart play the rockin' Felder part like he does well. Vince isn't a rocker, but he can play Bernie expertly. It looks like now the way the Already Gone solos are handled prior to Deacon coming back as a guest was that Steuart started playing the Glenn/Deacon solo and Joe started playing Felder's solo. And with Deacon back, Deacon is playing the Glenn solo and Steuart is back to Felder solo.

I know Vince took over the TIE solo from Joe but I think that was more just giving him a role rather than out of necessity/needing to delegate it. I think Deacon leaving has really screwed up the guitar parts. When Deacon isn't there, it looks like Vince is still playing the same chords in the same spots that didn't exist on the records that he did when he was just trying to fit in with an extra guitar. For instance, no 2nd fret capo on HC like Glenn did live forever, etc. He isn't playing the parts that even Deacon did during the first part of the 3.0 era. It makes no logical sense to me! Maybe Vince doesn't want to relearn. Maybe the return of Deacon was foreshadowed and so Vince was hesitant to put the time in to learn something only to potentially have to revert back to the way he was doing things early on. This is just bizarre to me. I mean people are paying to hear these songs! What happened to the make it just like the record bit? Or the 'we loiter onstage' bit. Or not having poor Steuart play almost everything! Give some more Bernie parts to Vince and have Joe take back the AG intro lick and stuff like that. Or just quit already! Yeah, that.