Thread: Deacon's departure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Deacon's departure

https://eagles.com/

Deacon chooses to chart his own course. Would love to know the whole story.
    Last edited by FreyFollower; 04-06-2022 at 02:12 PM.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Default Re: Deacon's departure

Aaaaaand there it is, folks. No more BS about him being sick and keeping it from the fans. No more wondering about when he's coming back. And for those who were thinking of going to a concert and buying a ticket - you now can make an informed decision and you know not to expect DF to be there if you go and if you are ok with that or not.

I would just *love* to know what exactly went on behind the scenes with Don, Deacon, and Irving at the end of Deacon's tenure with the band. It could have been an easy smooth process with no hard feelings, but that leaves me feeling doubtful after the story about Deacon being sick. Certainly makes you wonder A - how Deacon was treated and B - why he left.

Provided there was no strings attached (drama, bad treatment by Don, bad feelings etc) - I so applaud Deacon for doing this. No one wants to ride the coattails of their father (or mother) or stand in their shadows for their entire life. Deacon is still quite young. This was a formative experience for him but kudos to him for not taking it the easy way and continuing to be in that band getting paid simply because of a given caricature career and actually going out on his own, paying dues, and earning it. And making a name.

I do eagerly anticipate some type of announcement now though by Don saying the Eagles 3.0 has come to a close after their last scheduled date, because that essential Frey family blood in making 3.0 legitimate in his mind, is now no longer involved. Bahahahahaha. And after he does, I got some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale real cheap!

Thanks for finding this, FF!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

The Music Observer's take.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUtelY8SMY

Stuck on the Border

Personally I believe that this is a "this day was going to come" thing and there was no drama, but who knows.

I never understood what Vince's purpose was; perhaps they could predict this eventuality. Deacon should have been singing more/all of Glenn's songs.
    Someone said that on his last show, Deacon was particularly appreciative of the fans' acceptance of him, and how much he loved playing with the band...she thought maybe he already knew, and was saying goodbye.
    Now, what to do? Ah....doesn't Otis graduate this year?
    He has his father's blue eyes, and lighter hair.
    Seriously, I wish nothing but great things for Deacon!

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Personally I believe that this is a "this day was going to come" thing and there was no drama, but who knows.
    I would hope that was it. That's technically what I've wanted Deacon to do since Classic West/East. And if Deacon comes out and says it was on good terms, awesome. But then again I don't see Deacon wanting to air out dirty laundry in public, either. I think if Deacon himself came out in the open and talked about it, it would make me feel better.

But I think with removing Glenn's picture, saying Deacon was sick (when I'm betting he wasn't, I know it was just posted to social media but someone saying he was at a golf tournament is believable IMO with what we know now of him leaving), the long drawn out process of announcing it. Something just smells funny to me. I just don't believe he was sick, and then while off decided to quit. I just think it's highly unlikely. And we know how pleasant Don can be to work with. Vince is more of a lap dog in a good way. He's there to further his resume, play the songs he's always wanted to play (his own words), and be a salaried employee in a stable gig. He's not going to stir up trouble or push back much. He knows what his role is. He enjoys being in the band and if Don wants to rule the roost with an iron fist, that's fine. He wasn't a Frey and he certainly wasn't a longstanding real member of the band on any of their successful works. Don would have it easy with Vince and Vince would have it easy with Don. Don is lucky in that regard.

If Deacon was ready to leave the band in good graces, why didn't they just put out this press release back when he was announced to be "sick"? There would have been far less speculation and concert-goers would have had the truth much sooner. Maybe Don was mad that Deacon didn't want to wait until the last scheduled tour date to quit. I'm sure there would have been some guitar rehearsals between Steuart, Joe, and Vince to pick up the Deacon slack so to speak and certainly some extra lyrics for Vince to learn.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."