Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Deacon's departure

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Deacon's departure

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I’m going to make a bold prediction and say that June 26, 2022 will be the final “Eagles” concert. I think there will be solo performances after that but not a return as a group.
    Well they normally release new dates in the last few days/weeks of the closing of a current tour. Their TOUR section of the website is eerily empty and allegedly Vince has dates of his own lined up until Christmas. There were rumours of Canadian dates with a presale last Friday but that did not happen. So you might be right. Although I'd have thought that they would have had a final blast in the USA rather than London. Who knows
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I hate to use the phrase (ok, I really don't, but still lol) "Glenn would have never allowed this"! He even mentioned in an interview with Dan Patrick how no one ever guested onstage with the Eagles that wasn't a musician of high caliber and even those were rare. He even joked about a Party of Two concert where someone asked to sing with Joe and Glenn and Joe told him "Sure, but not onstage!". I think he said also that one guy played tambourines and it was Ed Bradley from 60 Minutes and that was about it as far as onstage guest appearances of non-muso celebs. As it should be, IMO. I think after awhile it gets a little too loose and people are paying to hear professionals at that price. I mean I'm a semi-professional/weekend warrior gigging musician and I certainly am careful who gets onstage as far as strangers if it's a paid gig. At Ausfest we do allow people to get up and play and sing one song who aren't in the band, but it's still not a free for all. And that's a fun, free music jam on a lake with no cover charge or any formality. It's a jam band. It's not a thousand dollar ticket in a nice venue and the expectation of perfection from the crowd, but we still want to put on a great performance for those there.

Maybe they really are wrapping up (one can hope!) and so it really doesn't matter. But the Eagles aren't the Greatful Dead!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 06-28-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Well they normally release new dates in the last few days/weeks of the closing of a current tour. Their TOUR section of the website is eerily empty and allegedly Vince has dates of his own lined up until Christmas. There were rumours of Canadian dates with a presale last Friday but that did not happen. So you might be right. Although I'd have thought that they would have had a final blast in the USA rather than London. Who knows
    You may be on to something. I know I saw an ad for Canadian dates, because I was surprised they said they were "Hotel California" shows, and I thought they were done with those. Now, nothing. Someone could have started having health issues (such as Joe's hands WF referred to) that would only be getting worse, and they decided now was the time. That would explain Deacon's return so soon after he left, and why they changed their closing song the last few shows to Already Gone, with him on lead with Old Black. That was surprising to me, as he didn't have the closing number before, and I don't remember them closing with that song.
    Folks did say that Don waxed nostalgic about the recording of their first album there 50 years ago, thanking fans and saying "it's been a hell of a ride". I'm with you, GA, you would think there would be a big LA blowout, but maybe it wasn't to be. Obviously, some reporters took his words as "goodbye".
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/g...c5OaGFtE4JmnOE
    If anyone was there, did they seem emotional?
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    Deacon again appears at London show. I don't know why they don't just say he will be joining for the European tour. Crowd was encouraged to sing and clap along throughout show.(???) John McEnroe on guitar and Patty Smyth on tambourine & vocals as a surprise with Already Gone finale.

https://entertainment-focus.com/2022...FPWUk57wt2U9Y4
    Seriously?? I agree, Glenn would never have allowed that!

It is easier to deal with if they have come to the end of their run. They are all in their 70s (except for Deacon and Vince, obviously), touring can't be easy.

I thought they agreed to play at the opening of Irving's stadium when it opens Joe was supposed to have Vets Aid there too.

So after reading all these comments, I went ahead and watched the video of these guys playing - something I haven't done in five years. Man, they've aged! Of course, the video quality was pretty bad, tbf.

Patty Smyth is not just some rando who knows Irving Azoff. She's the one who sang "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough" - that's a great song. She also has a lot of other good material. McEnroe on the other hand...

Who knows what's up with Deacon and these guys. Only acknowledging Glenn when his son is present makes me shake my head but it's just the next step in the progression, I guess.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So after reading all these comments, I went ahead and watched the video of these guys playing - something I haven't done in five years. Man, they've aged! Of course, the video quality was pretty bad, tbf.

Patty Smyth is not just some rando who knows Irving Azoff. She's the one who sang "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough" - that's a great song. She also has a lot of other good material. McEnroe on the other hand...

Who knows what's up with Deacon and these guys. Only acknowledging Glenn when his son is present makes me shake my head but it's just the next step in the progression, I guess.
    True that. She is great. McEnroe however is another Jim Irsay, James Dolan, etc. And I hate those types lol.

I think only acknowledging Glenn when he's there is definitely showing Don and Irving for who they really are and how they really must think. Oh Deac's here - better show his late father, you know the one who asked Don if he wanted to start a band together with him. It's just sooooo wrong but I'm also sooooo not surprised at this point. Nothing will.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I haven't been around much lately - there's been a lot going on in my life. But just a few thoughts - the end of my favorite all time band can't come soon enough for me. I know my feelings aren't a shock to any of you, but this is getting beyond a ridiculous money grab. And don't even get me started about only flashing Glenn's picture when Deacon appears on stage - that is the height of pettiness and disrespect for the man that contributed so much to the formation and long-term continued success of the band. And lastly, John McEnroe has a kind of history with the band and I believe he was a friends with Glenn. He appeared on No Fun Aloud as one of The Monstertones on the 'Partytown' track.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well I haven't been around much lately - there's been a lot going on in my life. But just a few thoughts - the end of my favorite all time band can't come soon enough for me. I know my feelings aren't a shock to any of you, but this is getting beyond a ridiculous money grab. And don't even get me started about only flashing Glenn's picture when Deacon appears on stage - that is the height of pettiness and disrespect for the man that contributed so much to the formation and long-term continued success of the band. And lastly, John McEnroe has a kind of history with the band and I believe he was a friends with Glenn. He appeared on No Fun Aloud as one of The Monstertones on the 'Partytown' track.
    Agreed on all parts, Dreamer.

I did not know that about McEnroe.

There is a funny story about McEnroe being a hack guitar player that involves David Bowie and the famous guitar riff to "Rebel Rebel". Apparently the song had just come out and David and John were unknowingly in the same hotel together. All of a sudden David heard someone butchering the hell out of the riff on electric guitar a few hotel rooms down from his. David thought someone was messing with him but then realized no, that's just a coincidence and felt empowered to go knock on that hotel room door and try to show them how to play it properly as it pissed him off because believe it or not David came up with the riff himself and played on the record. Anywho, he knocked on the door and it was John McEnroe!

The thing is, as a guitar player, I've covered Rebel Rebel more times than I could count. Other than perhaps a slight weirdness to the right hand picking it's a dead simple riff. I could play it in my sleep as could any guitar player who's been playing a year or so or at least knows arpeggios and string skipping. It's not a theory song nor is it a technician's song. But it just goes to show some people are not cut out for playing an instrument or singing. I don't know if I necessarily am in the "you are born with talent" camp, but I definitely think there are some people who genuinely cannot find a groove to save their life or have no internal rhythm no matter how hard they work at it. I mean it's the old joke about clapping on 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4. Almost all guitar players starting out struggle with timing, but they have a sense of rhythm and musicality and swagger for lack of a better word. Some people just have no sense of any of that and it sounds like stuttering or thrashing. My current viewpoint is that some people are born with rhythm in their bones and some aren't. No one is born a musical genius. That has to be developed. But rhythm can't always be learned.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That was a funny story about David Bowie and John McEnroe, Austin. And your last paragraph describes me to a T.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016