Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Deacon's departure

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Deacon's departure

I've read that funny Rebel Rebel story. But, as for the guitar part, what I've read is that Bowie came up with the first part of the riff and although he played a lot of guitar on the record that guitar part was played by Alan Parker (who's only credited for "1984") who also came up with the second part of the riff (that descending c sharp, b, g sharp, e "dadadada").

Stuck on the Border

...But the riff is based on the vocal melody, of course.

Not to get too off track here so just my parting thoughts...

I just read about that. I hadn't heard about that - always just that Bowie came up with the riff and played it. It looks like there is some hot debate about this. It reminds me of the story about did Jimmy Page or someone else (can't remember their name) play on Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan. Page did play on Sunshine Superman. Donovan can't remember because he's given different answers at different times. I guess it sounds like Bowie at the least had help with the last finishing phrase of the riff. I think Bowie would have been able to play it though if Parker showed him. He was a very adept guitarist, kind of like Glenn. Underrated player. But he always surrounded himself with great players too and while he played a lot in the studio, he didn't onstage much at all. He had ace live players.