Thread: Who knew?!

Border Desperado

Default Who knew?!

I just found out these facts:

1) Jackson Browne was with The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band for a few months before he left to concentrate on his solo career

2) Al Garth – Violin, keyboards, saxophone, vocals was in the 1980–1981
    Dirt Band line up

3) Bernie Leadon as well, Guitars, banjo, mandolin, vocals 1987-1988

But what I found amazing is the line up from Longbranch Pennywhistle, besides Glenn & JD I had no idea of these Monsters were there:

• Larry Knechtel - Bread (David Gates leader Band) member (He΄s the real Guitar Man), also works with Simon and Garfunkel, The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, Neil Diamond and these days Dixie Chicks

• James Burton – “A member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 2001 (his induction speech was given by longtime fan Keith Richards)”. Works, Dale Hawkins 1957 hit song "Suzie Q," Rick Nelson, Claude King, Elvis Presley, Gram Parsons, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dale Hawkins, John Denver and Elvis Costello.

• Doug Kershaw - Johnny Cash Show, Hank Williams, Jr, Kershaw Bros.

• Buddy Emmons – I can say if you look Pedal Steel Guitar on Internet, they send ya’ to him

• Joe Osborn - Electric bass virtuoso, works Dale Hawkins, Roy Buchanan, Rick Nelson's backup band, Johnny Rivers, Kenny Rogers, Mel Tillis and Hank Williams Jr., Fifth Dimension, Mamas and the Papas, the Association,Simon and Garfunkel, Helen Reddy, Carpenters, Scott Mackenzie, Tommy Roe, Neil Diamond, Partridge Family, Gary Lewis/Playboys, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Kenny Rogers

• Jim Gordon - Member of Derek & The Dominos, backing the Everly Brothers, The Beach Boys, of Joe Cocker, of Frank Zappa, Souther-Hillman-Furay Band, Bread, Joan Baez, Eric Clapton, Carpenters, Linda Ronstadt, Randy Newman, John Lee Hooker, The Byrds, Jackson Browne and the list goes on ….

• Ry Cooder – Need to say more?
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very cool news for sure, tlr.

Back in those days, the more I hear about, the more of these people knew or had played in bands with each other. It was truly quite the era!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Wow, I didn't realize Jackson Browne was a founding member of that band! I had read a few months ago that Al Garth was a member at one point, which surprised me as well. Cool!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The other people you list for Longbranch Pennywhistle were session musicians who played on the album. As far as I am aware those musicians never went on the road. LP had a very short life despite the label bringing in such stellar support.

Jim Gordon was (eventually) imprisoned for the murder of his mother.